Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Hows it going guys. At 27 years old I finally decided to brave it get back to it and sign for a local clubs 2nd IV.
    I have all my gear and am ready for my first session tomorrow night. the only issue is I have not picked up a ball in 14 years. I have a decent understanding of the game from playing up to under 14's but have never played beyond that and I know the game changes at different levels. What should I expect? Any tips for the drills to not piss off the seniors? How welcoming in general are clubs to what would seem to be an absolute beginner and how to best find what position I should play at.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Itoje is also a phenomenal athlete, but his attitude does let him down, and he definitely concedes too many soft penalties. That's been a problem with England for a long time though.

The rugby environments in which he has evolved over the past number of years (Harrow, England - underage and full - and Saracens) probably aren't the best places in which to assimilate values like humility, decency and sportsmanship.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Hows it going guys. At 27 years old I finally decided to brave it get back to it and sign for a local clubs 2nd IV.
    I have all my gear and am ready for my first session tomorrow night. the only issue is I have not picked up a ball in 14 years. I have a decent understanding of the game from playing up to under 14's but have never played beyond that and I know the game changes at different levels. What should I expect? Any tips for the drills to not piss off the seniors? How welcoming in general are clubs to what would seem to be an absolute beginner and how to best find what position I should play at.

Thanks.

You'll be grand, don't overthink it. Show up, give it maximum effort and the rest will come.
    If you have new boots, dirty them a little before you get out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thanks.

Most will be glad to have you, and I wouldn't worry about your standards, or what they might think theirs are. Just have a pair of boots and a gumshield, and go enjoy yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭antietam1

What position have you got in mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Thanks.

Bring a boke bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,562 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Paddy Jackson linked with a move to Lyon if Perpignan get relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Paddy Jackson linked with a move to Lyon if Perpignan get relegated

Interesting but I guess it was always going to be the case. Get to Perpignan, prove himself and, if the team goes well, great. If things go badly, that will be fine because Perpignan will have taken the heat on the initial signing and he will have a break clause in the event of relegation.

I would say that he even had hopes of a bigger team coming in for him though. Lyon have been a very solid team since promotion but they're not going to win silverware unless they've another couple of signings on top of Jackson.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lyon offered Beaden Barrett 1.5 million a year, didn't they? No disrespect to PJ but they seem to have loftier ambitions than him.

• Advertisement

Lyon offered Beaden Barrett 1.5 million a year, didn't they? No disrespect to PJ but they seem to have loftier ambitions than him.

Top level outhalves are hard to come by. And I'd rate Jackson very highly. External issues aside, I'd probably have him starting at 10 for any European test team aside from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Imagine if Sale got relegated - it's hard to think they'd be doing as badly as they are if they had signed Jackson over the summer

I'd say there'll be a fair few clubs in for him for next season. He's a top class player

Perpingnan look a cert for relegation. Watched one or two of their earlier matches, look like a team that are big enough for top 14 rugby but no where near skilled or disciplined enough.

Prem is a different kettle. As far as the regular league is concerned, it's a two horse race with Saracens an Exeter miles out in front.

5th place in the prem is only separated from the bottom by 8 points. The bottom three teams are only separated by 3 points (11, 13, 14).

Literally any team outside the top 4 is two bad weekends away from being in the relegation zone. It's incredibly tight.

Bristol are second from bottom, would chuckle if they ended up going straight back down after all the fanfare and expenditure.

jr86 wrote: »
    Imagine if Sale got relegated - it's hard to think they'd be doing as badly as they are if they had signed Jackson over the summer

I'd say there'll be a fair few clubs in for him for next season. He's a top class player

I think Jackson's future is in France alone, to be honest. The mould was broken by Perpignan signing him over there but I'd imagine there remains a significant PR clusterf*ck in England over that potential signing.

Interestingly, Stuart Olding is going in the opposite direction with Brive top of ProD2 so they're looking very likely to replace Perpignan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
    jr86 wrote: »

I think Jackson's future is in France alone, to be honest. The mould was broken by Perpignan signing him over there but I'd imagine there remains a significant PR clusterf*ck in England over that potential signing.

Interestingly, Stuart Olding is going in the opposite direction with Brive top of ProD2 so they're looking very likely to replace Perpignan.

Do the French not have a playoff system between the bottom of the Top 14 and the top of the ProD2?

troyzer wrote: »
    Do the French not have a playoff system between the bottom of the Top 14 and the top of the ProD2?

2nd bottom in the T14 plays 2nd in the ProD2.

Perpignan won't be impacted; they're going to finish bottom. Brive might finish second which would put them into a playoff. They're top currently, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sam Burgess has had some interesting things to say about England's last World Cup campaign. Blames egos and selfish players for the early exit.
    Sorry can't post a link but a quick search will put a little more meat on the bone.

OldRio wrote: »
    Sam Burgess has had some interesting things to say about England's last World Cup campaign. Blames egos and selfish players for the early exit.
    Sorry can't post a link but a quick search will put a little more meat on the bone.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/nov/27/sam-burgess-egos-selfish-players-england-2015-rugby-world-cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

To be fair though, I don't think England were beating Australia in that World Cup no matter how much harmony was in the squad. I recall the Wales game being a bit of a smash and grab, although there's an argument they probably should have put them away earlier

From what I remember Farrell and Vunipola weren't even starting some games back then and Itoje/Daly hadn't come on the scene yet. In terms of quality of players they should be far better equipped this time around. I just don't think they were that good back then. They didn't even manage a single 6 nations title win in the 2012-15 cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Rugbyrama are reporting that Paddy Jackson to Lyon will be confirmed shortly.

• Advertisement

Regardless of relegation and exit clauses, Jackson is wasted in Perpingnan. They aren't an ambitious group of players and they aren't fit enough for the top 14.

It's a good sign for Paddy, Beauden Barrett was linked with Lyon until quite recently so you would imagine his earning power is about to take a step up. Probably be on more than he was at Ulster at this rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/transferts/2018-2019/top-14-paddy-jackson-perpignan-vers-le-lou_sto7028220/story.shtml

It's actually the fact that Belleau is staying in Toulon that will be confirmed in the coming days. No timeline given for Jackson but he was spotted at Lyon last week.

Even if Jackson is lined up by Lyon, you'd imagine they can't announce anything until Perpignan are relegated and his escape clause is triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Fair play to him. Great talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

If anyone would like a job as a sub-editor at the Journal.ie, I dare say there'll be an opening soon.

Dunno how to upload an image from my desktop, or I'd do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If anyone would like a job as a sub-editor at the Journal.ie, I dare say there'll be an opening soon.

Assume you're talking about the #guilty thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Assume you're talking about the #guilty thing?

Yeah. Astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What’s that about?

Post it to imgur and then share the link. Alternatively below the submit reply button on boards there is a 'manage attachments' option that can do it.

stephen_n wrote: »
    What’s that about?

There was an article in thejournal.ie about the man who released the name of the complainant in the Belfast trial being fined £300.

The author of the piece decided to lead with #guilty as his clickbait.

• Advertisement

Am I missing something here? That's a fairly normal hashtag for them to use; it's used on lots of their articles where someone has been found/plead guilty. The guy who named the complainant plead guilty.

Not for a second do I think they were alluding to anything else if that's what people are suggesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement