Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there ever be a time when a woman will take on a man in the ufc?

Options
  • 29-10-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭

I think it was almost going to happen with Ronda rousey when she looked like she couldn't be beaten ...do you think it will happen?

Comments

No but I am sure it has already happened in some Japanaese organization.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭traveller0101

Never

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Not a fear.

It would never get sanctioned first of all and it would set the UFC back 20 years of legitimacy. Also the men are far more skilled/stronger, it would be a non contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No..it never should and it never will happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,818 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Unless Gabbi Garcia comes to town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Diaz choked out a little bitch a while back. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

dashoonage wrote: »
    Diaz choked out a little bitch a while back. Does that count?

Hahah, that was pretty good in fairness! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

fallon fox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I seriously hope not and I'd doubt it would be sanctioned.

Also I'm trying to be careful here and not make light of anyone's identity or gender etc.

But isn't there a guy in a US college who transitioned ( not sure on correct terminology) from a man into a woman and competed in wrestling against natural( again not sure how to phrase that) women.

So it's an interesting question.
    Personally I'd feel it's unfair as even though the person felt trapped in a man's body, it's still ( in terms of design, muscle etc) a man's body and therefore far more powerful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think it was almost going to happen with Ronda rousey when she looked like she couldn't be beaten ...do you think it will happen?
    It was never going to happen with Ronda.
    People who thought she'd get close to a 135lb man were insane.
    jcd5971 wrote: »

But isn't there a guy in a US college who transitioned ( not sure on correct terminology) from a man into a woman and competed in wrestling against natural( again not sure how to phrase that) women.

So it's an interesting question.
    Personally I'd feel it's unfair as even though the person felt trapped in a man's body, it's still ( in terms of design, muscle etc) a man's body and therefore far more powerful.
    There are olympic/collegiate protocols for somebody to transition sexually and compete as their new gender. But there's a number of years before they are allowed to do it. They would have to have biological/hormonal traits of that sex, not just identify as. But the catch-22 is that hormone therapy would also exclude somebody under doping rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

There was a kickboxing/ Mauy Thai bout a few years back where a female champ took on a male. Details are sketchy but I'm 99% sure the male won. At a similar size I'd doubt many women could beat a man. The bone structure and power is going to always give the man the advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Mellor wrote:
    There are olympic/collegiate protocols for somebody to transition sexually and compete as their new gender. But there's a number of years before they are allowed to do it. They would have to have biological/hormonal traits of that sex, not just identify as. But the catch-22 is that hormone therapy would also exclude somebody under doping rules.

I'm no expert on the subject so I'll defer to you on it.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    I'm no expert on the subject so I'll defer to you on it.

Here's the IOC Olympic guidelines.. It's possible that there where some transgender athletes in Rio, was never confirmed though.

The above is strictly for olympic events obviously. But a Fallon Fox type situation would be similar

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Mellor wrote: »
    Here's the IOC Olympic guidelines.. It's possible that there where some transgender athletes in Rio, was never confirmed though.

The above is strictly for olympic events obviously. But a Fallon Fox type situation would be similar
    Not transgender but Caster Semenya springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I've see this MT fight a couple of times she puts up some fight definitely looks to struggle power wise in the clinch.

https://youtu.be/qxOVQPe8jEA

There's an exhibition mma match too. She gets a nice quick take down!

https://youtu.be/dGlzOp-QQmg

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not transgender but Caster Semenya springs to mind.

And she’d be deemed a really slow man at world/elite level..

Run of the mill men giving away considerable weight would still be far too strong and dangerous for any elite female in MMA...

The differences are staggering..

walshb wrote: »
    And she’d be deemed a really slow man at world/elite level...
    Your looking at the wrong division. The concern is trans women competing in women's divisions. Not trans men in men's divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Your looking at the wrong division. The concern is trans women competing in women's divisions. Not trans men in men's divisions.

I wasn’t looking at any divisions. I was just making an observation off Semenya racing against men.

You hear it with the Williams sisters as well...should be playing the men..

Nonsense. They’d get hammered..

Relating to the OP. My second and third sentences stand in my original post.

I wasn’t looking at any divisions. I was just making an observation off Semenya racing against men.
    Yeah, I got that, but the controversy was (or still is) her competing against women. She has a supposed biologically advantage verses women, but still obviously disadvantaged verses elite males.
    You hear it with the Williams sisters as well...should be playing the men..

Nonsense. They’d get hammered..
    Well...they got hammered in actual fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

A decent amature male would beat the best women fighters in their weight class. The advantages to the male musculoskeletal system system in terms of strength are just too massive to overcome, no matter how good the woman's technique is.

You could grab a 115 19 year from SBG or Rhyno and they'd ragdoll Joanna for fun.

A decent amature male would beat the best women fighters in their weight class. The advantages to the male musculoskeletal system system in terms of strength are just too massive to overcome, no matter how good the woman's technique is.

You could grab a 115 19 year from SBG or Rhyno and they'd ragdoll Joanna for fun.
    Yeah, pretty mush. In the exhibition fights above, the guy is clearly just letting her work. Basically rolling as in training.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

And she’d be deemed a really slow man at world/elite level..

Run of the mill men giving away considerable weight would still be far too strong and dangerous for any elite female in MMA...

The differences are staggering..

Oh, wouldn't be advocating for that at all.

Was moreso thinking along the lines of Mellors words below.
    Yeah, I got that, but the controversy was (or still is) her competing against women. She has a supposed biologically advantage verses women, but still obviously disadvantaged verses elite males.

Well...they got hammered in actual fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Only if UFC = WWE

So, no.

Advertisement