Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Poll] Skeuomorphic UI vs. flat UI

Options
  • 29-10-2017 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

A common complaint of mine is the flat UI design that has gained a lot of popularity this current decade.

Do you prefer skeuomorphic UI design of the likes of Windows 7, iOS 6, and Mac OS X pre-Yosemite, or the flat designs of Windows 10, iOS 11, and macOS post-Mavericks? I'd love to hear your opinion/vote!

What type of UI do you prefer? 7 votes

Skeuomorphic
    0% 0 votes
    Flat
    100% 7 votes

Comments

I much prefer skeuomorphic. Flat designs, especially solid white, are harder on my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Karsini wrote: »
    I much prefer skeuomorphic. Flat designs, especially solid white, are harder on my eyes.

I completely agree. I'm not into the whole flat design trend that took off in the middle of this decade. And flat design can puzzle some viewers depending on its interpretation.

Pretty much everyone I see on the internet prefers skeuomorphic over flat.

Flat UI design did have its small part prior to this decade. Take the Zune for example, a media player by Microsoft, which was first introduced in 2006, a time dominated by rich, skeuomorphic designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Justforfun

I personally hate the current look of Microsoft office. It is bland, flat and lacks contrast. It is truly awful. Compare to older versions of office that had a 3D effect, you were not confused by overlapping programs (i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook all open). With the flat design you sometimes end up clicking the open program behind the one you're using. Flat design really harps back to original windows i.e. 3.1 and older...old bland boring. The human eye lives in a world of light and shade, graduating colours and three dimensional objects. Who here doesn't use a nature scene or picture scene wallpaper on their desktop... Humans need colour and aesthetic...these are two things missing from god awful flat 16 colour design palettes that are the current fashion. Bring back skeuomorphic design and the pick up rate on windows 10 will be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I prefer the flat design, I find the colours pop more and there's generally greater clarity and contrast

• Advertisement

A new post in months!

Flat design just doesn't entice me the same way skeuomorphic design did.

I miss the days when iOS and OS X adopted skeuomorphic design. It just looked like bliss. Windows 7 also looked very nice, but then Microsoft ditched it with Windows 8 onwards.

And on another topic, OS X sounds so much better than macOS. The 'X' made it sound so much cooler. macOS just sounds rather bland in comparison.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I used to not like Flat UI design but now I do actually prefer it. Find the interfaces less cluttered and busy in Windows 10. Microsoft still have a good bit of work to do with their app platform, however..
    Same with new Android O on my phone. Much prefer the last few iterations of Android to the older ones

Advertisement