Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole candied peel?

• 29-10-2017 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Does anyone have any idea where to get good quality whole candied peel in Dublin?

I used to get it in the Gourmet Shop in Rathgar but it's closed now after the owner passed away :(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've not seen any for sale recently.

Many years ago when I worked at a delicatessen in Ranelagh, we used to sell whole candied peels of lemon, orange and citron. Out of a jar, crisply sugared wedges, slightly translucent: sell by weight. (Expensive)

Very much a Christmas thing - diehard bakers would buy it for Christmas cake and puddings.

If ever a little corner piece broke off, we would secretly eat it because it was delicious.

I've seen recipes for how to make your own but I think it is a convoluted process. Much boiling, draining, cooling and reboiling. Possibly Elizabeth David gives a recipe somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Here's a Mary Berry recipe - it looks pretty simple.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemon_madeira_cake_with_15109

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,333 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I saw some in Avoca in Dunboyne last weekend, so you might be able to get some in some of their other stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

It's gorgeous, and not difficult to make your own. I find it best to candy each type of citrus separately and unsliced. Then dry and sugar. I chop when using.
    Don't boast about your endeavours or everyone will ask for some.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

You may get it in Get Fresh on Marian Road in Rathfarnham. They have stuff there I've never come across anywhere else. They have a Facebook page.

Advertisement