Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macnas parade

Options
  • 29-10-2017 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Thoughts ? Watched it near the Cathedral, thought it was quite good and detailed but also seemed shorter than other years ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

westgolf wrote: »
    Thoughts ? Watched it near the Cathedral, thought it was quite good and detailed but also seemed shorter than other years ?

I agree, we were near the university and it passed us in 15 mins. Last year was 20 mins which seemed short too. The floats and costumes were top class this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I love Macnas but in fairness having to wait for the parade for over an hour and half and then to see such a short parade, we felt the wait was not worth it, I timed it at 11 minutes it was gone in a flash if you pardon to pun

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It was free entertainment.

All that should be said is thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Taken just outside Cholis at the start of Mainguard St coming from Shop St.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

It was brilliant and all free!!

The amount of work that must have gone into this.

Yep, it was a bit of a wait, but they reckon 40,000 people showed up! We're too used to being spoiled by Macnas in Galway, couldn't say anything bad about this year's spectacle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

I thought it was short too but I do take macnas for granted when I live in Galway.
    I've never contributed money to macnas so I can't complain if I think a free parade is too short. It was ten minutes anyway. What they do is brilliant. The detail was brilliant this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

Brilliant entertainment, kids and adults in our family loved it. It was only 5-10 mins late starting. We were at the beginning, it took 20 mins or so, we were walking back to our car at 6. Obviously if you decide to go nearer the end of the route you’ll have to wait for it to get to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Looking back at photos from last nights parade on FB - costumes and make up were fantastic this year. Unless you are in the very front row of spectators it's hard to get all the details when watching on the street.
    The parade did start on time - left university at 5.35pm, can't get much closer to 5.30 than that, given the huge amount of coordination needed. Top marks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Fantastic floats very well done.

Late starting though and far too short. 10mins start to finish. I timed it.

It's not REALLY free. If you pay tax some of your money has gone to them in generous grants .

The floats are almost so good that the dancers and outfits are almost a non event.

I think there should be more music in it

It's not REALLY free. If you pay tax some of your money has gone to them in generous grants

Sorry folks, the twins, logic & reason, have left the thread, please move on to the next thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

Fantastic floats very well done.

Late starting though and far too short. 10mins start to finish. I timed it.

It's not REALLY free. If you pay tax some of your money has gone to them in generous grants .

The floats are almost so good that the dancers and outfits are almost a non event.

I think there should be more music in it

With those opinions I think you should get involved with macnas and give them some constructive criticism. They are wasting taxpayers money after all on parades that are too short.
    For all we know it could be a shortage of money or volunteers that are a reason why the parade was that length. They had buckets there for people to contribute towards macnas so they're hardly flush with cash.
    Easier to moan though and go home and put the feet up after getting some free entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Was the lighthouse lady singing Song to The Siren by Tim Buckley?
    Thought I heard it when she was on Eglinton street. BUt not seen anything to confirm it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭manualskeleton

Stevolende wrote: »
    Was the lighthouse lady singing Song to The Siren by Tim Buckley?
    Thought I heard it when she was on Eglinton street. BUt not seen anything to confirm it yet.

Not sure, but I was very impressed with her singing for the whole length of parade.

Advertisement