Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Fare D12 to Airport 65 euro??

Options
  • 29-10-2017 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭

Can someone shed a bit of light on this for me please.
    A family friend had to get a Taxi this morning 10.00am (ish) from Peters Rd D12 to Dublin Airport.
    He called the taxi through the My-Taxi app, just one person, one small carry on case, via the M50 incl toll, straightforward run with no traffic delays.
    He was charged 65 euro for the trip, which sounds like he was had.
    Have fares gone up that much or was he just ripped off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Not a chance is that 65 euro on a Sunday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Paulzx wrote: »
    Not a chance is that 65 euro on a Sunday morning

I didn't think so either.
    Unfortunately he is not from here and I'm wondering if the driver took the "scenic" route even though we told him to go via the M50.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

€65 is definitely high for that trip and more than I'd expect to pay, but it's hard to see how he could have been ripped off as the taxi was on the meter and your friend would have easily spotted if the driver took a scenic route.

Fixed rate taxis usually better value for airport runs. Sundays are premium rate on the meter too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭raxy

Worldtaximeter.com puts that trip at ~€46 so looks like the driver got a very nice trip.
    I'd complain to My-Taxi about it & see where that goes. You'll probably get a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm a Walkinstownian myself, I can remember paying about €40 going the opposite way several years ago. €65 definitely seems a bit steep. The bus to/from the Red Cow costs about a fiver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭wizardman

I would have expected €50-55. €65 sounds a bit heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

Comes up as 43 to 54 euro, sunday is premium, €2 advance booking fee, would be extra for the suitcase, doesn't quite explain the 65

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Definitely get him to put in complaint that's a lot of money.

No recession here anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

According to the fare estimator, I wonder did he manage to pick some sort of 'premium cab on My-Taxi?

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/
    €43.60 to €55.20

Please note: the above fare is an indicative estimate only and should not be taken as a guaranteed fare.

Distance 25.1 km

No traffic (25 min)

Heavy traffic (46 min)

Above distances and times are approximates only.

Includes €2.00 in extra charges.

awec wrote: »
    €65 is definitely high for that trip and more than I'd expect to pay, but it's hard to see how he could have been ripped off as the taxi was on the meter and your friend would have easily spotted if the driver took a scenic route.

Fixed rate taxis usually better value for airport runs.

That's the problem, he's not from here and would not be familiar with roads and routes and most likely was on his phone and not paying too much attention to his surroundings.

• Advertisement

raxy wrote: »
    Worldtaximeter.com puts that trip at ~€46 so looks like the driver got a very nice trip.
    I'd complain to My-Taxi about it & see where that goes. You'll probably get a refund

We are waiting to get a copy of his receipt and take it from there.
    Many Thanks everyone for the very prompt replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Why don't you get him to check his travel history through that Google maps thing or whatever the Google function is. I think that shows where exactly you went, if he has it activated of course. If he sends it to you you can check what route he went?

Edit: it's the timeline function on Google maps.

foxatron wrote: »
    Why don't you get him to check his travel history through that Google maps thing or whatever the Google function is. I think that shows where exactly you went, if he has it activated of course. If he sends it to you you can check what route he went?

Actually that's a great idea, will ask him to check, (he is a very techie type of person).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Tails142 wrote: »
    would be extra for the suitcase

No extra charge for the suitcase. I'd have thought 40-50 depending on traffic.

Absolutely complain - MyTaxi themselves have awful customer service unfortunately. I'd say send in an email and give it 'til they're back in the office on Tuesday and had a reasonable chance, before following up on Facebook/Twitter.

More than likely they'll have nothing to do with it and pass you on to the taxi regulator, info about that here: https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-compliments-complaints/

OldBean, I obviously wasn't been technical enough for you.

Did the guy use the boot?

You could put a bottle of water in there and that's an extra charge.

Also is that part of the Motorway tolled, did he add that on as an extra.

TallGlass wrote: »

Also is that part of the Motorway tolled, did he add that on as an extra.

Yes, toll included.

You didn't have to be technical at all. There's no extra charge for luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

K.Flyer wrote: »
    We are waiting to get a copy of his receipt and take it from there.
    Many Thanks everyone for the very prompt replies.

One time I was given an 'upgrade' on Hailo for a supposedly nicer car, but I was charged extra for the car (it was presented as a free upgrade, but there was a surcharge) and the driver claimed he couldn't use the bus lanes (?) so my taxi journey from Drumcondra to the airport took ages and was nearly twice the usual price. I never use Hailo/Mytaxi, have had a few bad experiences.

OldBean wrote: »

There is if you use the boot.

Scrap that one, you don't get charged for use of the boot, can't find the fee's for using it on the Taxi website so guessing that's not a charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I was under the impression that it was brought back in towards the end of the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Scrap that one, you don't get charged for use of the boot, can't find the fee's for using it on the Taxi website so guessing that's not a charge!

Gone out with the Indians, only left with the cowboys now.

An extra charge must not be imposed for carrying luggage

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/operating-an-spsv/taxi-fares/

There's no extra charge for luggage.

As above no charge, just trying to explain the ~15€ difference in expected price.

Guessing the driver was a chancer maybe came off an exit before or maybe added a higher toll charge onto the fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Orwellmerchant

I go from nearby to you from Templeouge to the Airport via the M50 and it's around 55 Euro.
    I've gone through the city before and it's been around 40 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Good to know. It was definitely talked about during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Expensive but it's hardly extortion... it's only about 20% above estimated cost...

Was he late coming out of the house? Were there roadworks / detours / accidents along the way? Was there a tip included in that? Marathon was also in full swing at that time so i guess it's possible they got caught up in that somehow, especially if they didn't go around M50...

Expensive but it's hardly extortion... it's only about 20% above estimated cost...

Was he late coming out of the house? Were there roadworks / detours / accidents along the way? Was there a tip included in that? Marathon was also in full swing at that time so i guess it's possible they got caught up in that somehow, especially if they didn't go around M50...

Huh?? But it says it in the OP that they used the M50. It even mentions toll being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If going via M50, I can't imagine much traffic of a Sunday morning to delay things. I suspect the previous fare wasn't cleared.

25.3km https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/53.3101725,-6.3256933/53.4265541,-6.2417539/@53.3593744,-6.3709638,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi-and-bus-licensing/taxi/operating-an-spsv/taxi-fares/

Initial Charge (up to 0.5 km or 85 seconds): €4.00 = €4.00
    Tariff A (next 14.5 km or 41 minutes): €1.40 per km or €0.49 per minute up to total €24.40 = 14.5 x 1.40 = €20.30
    Tariff B (thereafter): €1.75 per km or €0.62 per minute = 10.3 x 1.75 = €18.03
    Booking fee of €2 = €2.00
    Road tolls - maximum €3.10 = €3.10

Total €47.43

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I wonder if there was some sort of surcharge on My Taxi today. I got a taxi in the early hours of this morning, paid with my card. It was only after it went through that I realised I was charged €24 for a 10 minute trip that usually costs about €15. In fact, the opposite direction when we were going out was less than that. I didn’t question it after I paid as I had my hands full looking after a sleepy and drunk person who I had to half carry out of the cab. It’s the first time I used my app in a while though and it would put me off using it again.

• Advertisement

^^

Taxis have a higher tariff between 8p.m. and 8a.m.
    MyTaxi recently brought in a 2 quid charge paid by the customer per journey and taxis can charge for using card payment.

So you might have got a treble whammy.

Advertisement