Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was there a Near miss over South Wexford 27/10/17

Options
  • 29-10-2017 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi, how would you find out about a near miss between 2 commercial airplanes last Friday at 14.20 over the Saltmills/Carrig on Bannow skies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If its something you saw from the ground it almost certainly wasn't a near miss. Flightradar playback may show what occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

L1011 wrote: »
    If its something you saw from the ground it almost certainly wasn't a near miss. Flightradar playback may show what occurred.

Yeah from the ground, one plane heading west kept course, plane heading north takes a sharp turn right and then left back on course once it passed behind the first plane. Visible vapour trail curves similar in size to a crescent moon in the sky. I am just curious are these such incidents recorded or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

type85 wrote: »
    Yeah from the ground, one plane heading west kept course, plane heading north takes a sharp turn right and then left back on course once it passed behind the first plane. Visible vapour trail curves similar in size to a crescent moon in the sky. I am just curious are these such incidents recorded or not.

Again, it almost certainly wasn't an incident at all. From the ground planes look closer than they actually are. There are other reasons for changing course

If there has been a loss of separation it will be recorded.

I've run through Flightradar and there's nothing of note at all around then (would be 13:20 UTC as it was summer time) but the FR24 coverage seems to be quite poor around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

Your most probably right. Visible in the sky at the time were 3 more planes heading west all ahead of the first and just the 1 headed north. Nothing else in the sky for the next 10 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

You should be able to go onto Flightradar and use Playback options to find it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The thread title should perhaps be changed, as no actual evidence has been provided to suggest that a "near miss" occurred. In any case, separation is generally assured through aircraft being at different flight levels or being required to climb or descend if a conflict is predicted - not, as a rule, though a manoeuvre of the type suggested by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

L1011 wrote: »
    Again, it almost certainly wasn't an incident at all. From the ground planes look closer than they actually are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXypyrutq_M

I'll get me coat !!

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Advertisement