Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my gun fire alphamax ?

Options
  • 29-10-2017 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Looking for a bit of advice. My spanish u/o 12 barrel is marked 1000 kp/cm. I have a few eley alphamax SG shells left over from years ago and I'm trying to work out if I can fire them. The gun has the CH mark on it, which means Re-inforced smokeless proof for shotgun barrels with proof pressure of 12.801 lbs psi. After that I'm lost. Any experts on gun markings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Hi folks,
    Looking for a bit of advice. My spanish u/o 12 barrel is marked 1000 kp/cm. I have a few eley alphamax SG shells left over from years ago and I'm trying to work out if I can fire them. The gun has the CH mark on it, which means Re-inforced smokeless proof for shotgun barrels with proof pressure of 12.801 lbs psi. After that I'm lost. Any experts on gun markings?

Make sure your chamber and cartridge length match. After that check for cartridge weight. If it's an extremely heavy load for the chamber length you might need to double check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GADWALL

As above .
    What make is the gun ?, how old is the gun ?. Do you have a photo of the Chamber length and markings stamped on the barrel ?.

A lot of the older Spanish guns can be 2.5 inch length cartridges only , Alphamax need a 76 mm 3 in chamber .

The best thing to do is not use them and call into your local gun dealer with the gun and speak to him about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Thanks for the replies. Here are the markings on the barrels. The cartridges are 2 3/4", or 70mm, and fit the gun no problem. It's the pressure I'm more worried about.

20171030_123308.jpg

20171030_122946.jpg

I understand its the pressure that's the issue . Alphamax come in 2 flavours , 70 and 76 mm obviously the larger one will create more pressure .

Not being smart , but while the cart may fit into the gun , that does not mean it can be fired by it .

From your photos it is obvious that the gun is an older model .

This is what I would do if I were you , Restrict myself to 2.5 inch light - medium loads and have your gun assessed by a professional .
    Under no circumstances would I be firing either size of alphamax cartridge in that gun .

A person could do PHD on shotgun Proof markings current and old and still not understand each stamped marking , see sample att.

It's pretty much what I've been thinking myself. Anyone recommend a good professional in the Dublin area?

Found a great link for Spanish proofs;
    http://www.shotguns.se/html/spain.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bluezulu49

The length of the chambers should be stamped on the flats of the barrels, in the format 12 - 65, 12 - 70 or 12 - 76, being 2 1/2", 2 3/4" and 3" respectively. The 1000 indicates that it is proofed for 2 3/4" loads.

What is the make of the gun?. The proof marks you have shown indicate that it was proofed in Eibar, Spain sometime since 1931. Any chance of photos of the remaining proof marks?

This chart says you are covered , but at your own judgement .

Remember , we are now gone from PSI to BAR and now onto Mega paschals of pressure , all the maths will be of double importance when dealing with a future change over to High pressure steel shot loads . that will be when the NPWS and Government get the finger out .

http://www.shotgunlife.com/shotguns/tom-roster/important-information-about-shotshell-pressures.html

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    The length of the chambers should be stamped on the flats of the barrels, in the format 12 - 65, 12 - 70 or 12 - 76, being 2 1/2", 2 3/4" and 3" respectively. The 1000 indicates that it is proofed for 2 3/4" loads.

What is the make of the gun?. The proof marks you have shown indicate that it was proofed in Eibar, Spain sometime since 1931. Any chance of photos of the remaining proof marks?

Thanks for that blue. It's marked 12-70, so fit for 2 3/4 shells. It's an F. Sarriugarte from Elgoibar. The other markings on the barrels are ;
    1360 gmos
    18.4 (3 stars above this)
    G*2 (it could be 6*2)

20171030_180811.jpg

20171030_180634.jpg

Googling gives me 1360 gmos as the weight in grammes of the barrels and 18.4mm as the bore diameter.

Advertisement