Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BER exempt

• 30-10-2017 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi all --

I'm buying a BER exempt period apartment in Dublin. Three-story building, one apartment per story. There are 6 large sash windows (approx. 1.5m x 1m), and each apartment has the same windows. 

I'm wondering about energy efficiency and my options. The windows are from the 1970s. Do you know where I can get info about the rules/regulations for updating them to an identical style (I gather that's mandatory) but windows that would be more energy efficient?

I've requested more info from the auctioneer so perhaps I can clarify further if this is too vague.

Any other info/experience/insight is of course hugely appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Con

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

By the sounds of it, the building is on the Record Of Protected Structures.
    You need planning permission to change the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Richards1983

Hi kceire,

Ah right, I'll do a bit of research on that. Thanks for the insight.

... just checked and it's there indeed.

Hmm, what do you think? Is that a good/bad thing? Any thoughts appreciated, I've never handled one before.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

... just checked and it's there indeed.

Hmm, what do you think? Is that a good/bad thing? Any thoughts appreciated, I've never handled one before.

It just means you are very restricted in doing anything to the property without permission for the council. You should have been made aware of this during the purchase stage and by the Surveyor that done the survey for you.

You need to check what exactly is protected as sometimes, even internal alterations are prohibited.

Do you have any original ceilings, rails or doors internally?
    What I do for most clients in this situation is apply for a Section 5 and that is officially asking the council Can I do X works without planning.

If you want to PM me the address I can check with my conservation contacts and advise.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

+1 with above

Important to find out what exactly is protected.

I’ve seen secondary glazing systems in some of these properties,

Interested to know what the shared annual maintenance is, Fire regs, Roof repairs etc could mount up.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads -- much appreciated as always.

Onto that, what are your general thoughts on protected properties -- too much hassle, or worth it for the style/charm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

That's a decision for each person personally.

1. More expensive to maintain / heat, etc.
    2. Probably less "creature comforts" than a modern house and much more restrictive redevelopment options.
    3. Architecturally significant and more likely than not - nice to look at / come home to.
    4. Rich history and I'm guessing a fairly good location.

You just have to weigh up the list above and balance it against you (and your family's) needs and desires.

Thanks a lot, Metric Tensor. Very accurate. I'll think about it along those lines.

Advertisement