Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annacotty to Finnegans Roadworks

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's been eerily quiet for nearly a week now, I'm actually puzzled each morning coming down the empty M7 slip road and straight past Finnegans. Where has all the traffic gone? I can't see how any of the adjustments made have just magically cleared the utter chaos that was happening on the Mackey roundabout each morning.

This phenomenon happened earlier this year after christmas, the levels of traffic magically dropped off from being gridlock to just a normal day with no delays, and no-one I asked could figure it out, so much so, we didnt even mention it for fear of jinxing it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Is UL on holidays? That always has an impact on traffic there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Clareman wrote: »
    Is UL on holidays? That always has an impact on traffic there

UL is gone into reading week (whatever that is :rolleyes:)...didn't have that in my day etc etc.

No lectures on between now and Xmas so maybe less rush for students to get to lectures and a lot of the boffins probably working from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Decided to test the outbound lane for "user experience" and let me tell you other drivers don't like you using the road the way the engineers want you to. I've driven in the right lane 3 times now outbound at the lights.

Outbound I stayed in the right lane because that has priority over the left who have to merge into the lane I'm in. Oh other drivers don't like that.

Call it lack of comprehension of road markings, call it habit of staying left, call it laziness of the drivers to follow the markings or call it the fault of markings that should be the other way. Right now it's not working for "user experience" and it needs changing.

I drove through the corbally roundabout as well but I couldn't bring myself to go right off the bridge towards the link road from the left lane. I used the right lane even though the markings say that's for essentially the loading Bay. Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Berty wrote: »
    Outbound I stayed in the right lane because that has priority over the left who have to merge into the lane I'm in. Oh other drivers don't like that.

Out of curiosity - what do you understand by 'merge' at that point in road?:)
    • every second one, like a zip?
    OR
    • priority for you in right lane and left-laners only proceed when right lane empty?

I can't speak directly for these crazy road designers but I feel they may have meant the former.

I've observed a slowness in drivers adapting to the new arrangement - both inbound and outbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Both, really.

Zip only works at slower speeds where it's possible, in order for a one for one zip a driver may have to brake in the right lane which causes a phantom tailback behind them.

Right lane should only have priority if the left has a yield sign which it doesn't.

Speaking of signs I noticed that speed ramp/crossing by the credit union/church/school near UL sports arena side entrance still doesn't have signage to tell you it even exists. I remember the day I hit it in the dark not knowing they'd put it in. Had a good look yesterday and there isn't a sign for it but there is by Castetroy park for those ones. Hitting that at 50kmh or higher could cause damage to some cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's been eerily quiet for nearly a week now, I'm actually puzzled each morning coming down the empty M7 slip road and straight past Finnegans. Where has all the traffic gone? I can't see how any of the adjustments made have just magically cleared the utter chaos that was happening on the Mackey roundabout each morning.

It's pretty simple really. UL is off and that must account for 30% of the traffic on that road.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Berty wrote: »
    Both, really.

Zip only works at slower speeds where it's possible, in order for a one for one zip a driver may have to brake in the right lane which causes a phantom tailback behind them.

Right lane should only have priority if the left has a yield sign which it doesn't.

Speaking of signs I noticed that speed ramp/crossing by the credit union/church/school near UL sports arena side entrance still doesn't have signage to tell you it even exists. I remember the day I hit it in the dark not knowing they'd put it in. Had a good look yesterday and there isn't a sign for it but there is by Castetroy park for those ones. Hitting that at 50kmh or higher could cause damage to some cars.
    Still regularly see people hitting it at full speed. Seeing a sleepy truck driver plough into it at 50km/h and his passengers bouncing around the cab is quite a sight on a Friday morning.

Advertisement