Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name these big trees

Options
  • 30-10-2017 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭

It's that time of year where I agonise over tree choices for screening.

I want something crown-y that lets light under, the boundary hedging can deal with low level screening.

These are nice. What are they?

I'll probably be dead by the time they look like this but someone will enjoy them. :pac:

1. Scots pine? Black pine?
    20171030_100459.jpg

2. Hawthorn? Elm?
    20171030_101433.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just guesses but the pine could be Pinus Radiata, its shape can be very variable but can grow into the shape in the picture as can a whole load of other pines. Pinus Radiata is a good choice as its a fast grower.

I did think Elm from the shape when I looked at the second pic but there are plenty of reasons for it not being an Elm. The bark looks a bit to smooth (Beech or Hornbeam) and the shape comes from it having been topped out at sometime so the shape is more likely due to pruning than species. The way its holding on to its leaves again leads me to think its a Beech or Hornbeam.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

my3cents wrote: »
    Just guesses but the pine could be Pinus Radiata, its shape can be very variable but can grow into the shape in the picture as can a whole load of other pines. Pinus Radiata is a good choice as its a fast grower
    Interesting. I did a bit of reading, the Forestry Service says ...
    In Ireland, Monterey pine commonly suffers from the "yellows", a disease sometimes associated with the fungus Cyclaneusma minus which results in the yellowing and loss of all the previous years needles. The consequent dying off of immature trees can give rise to very open and heavily branched stands. However, trees of Guadlaupe Island provenance appear not to suffer from this disease.

I guess I'd have to ask the supplier about the provenance.

Lumen wrote: »
    Interesting. I did a bit of reading, the Forestry Service says ...

I guess I'd have to ask the supplier about the provenance.

They are planted a lot in the UK near the sea to make shelter belts. Fast growing, deep rooted and salt tolerant.

If you look up almost any pine you will find out that its been decimated in one way or another by an insect or a fungus so you just have to live with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Could that pine be a Stone Pine?

Google Images suggests that the Stone Pine is quite consistent in shape, and meets my criteria of lots of trunk then a decent thick crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Couple of Conifer/pine id's that may help

322132.jpg

322133.jpg

322131.jpg

• Advertisement

Any connection with Merrist Wood College Oldtree? I could probably hazard a good guess as to who wrote the original Pine ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

my3cents wrote: »
    Any connection with Merrist Wood College Oldtree? I could probably hazard a good guess as to who wrote the original Pine ID.

:D Spent 2 fabulous years there, and you my3cents?

Oldtree wrote: »
    :D Spent 2 fabulous years there, and you my3cents?

Head gardener for ten years on an estate not ten minutes walk away.

John Whitehead used to bring the arb students in for garden walks,practical classes, plant ID and even a bit of tree surgery work. Not too many gardens with 120 foot tall London Plane trees.

Advertisement