Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Irish Aviation Story

Options
  • 30-10-2017 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭

Came across the following in The Journal this morning.
    The Dublin schoolboy who may have cracked the solution to flocks of birds crippling an airplane's engines http://jrnl.ie/3667915

To my mind this is a real Irish Aviation story.

Well done Young Man!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Came across the following in The Journal this morning.

To my mind this is a real Irish Aviation story.

Well done Young Man!

I don’t want to be negative as he’s obviously a very smart kid but I don’t see how that would not dramatically impact engine performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Any device like that is going to severely disrupt airflow into the engine.
    It's going to add a significant amount of weight.
    On a cost/benefit analysis... How does bird strike costs compare to the cost of the retrofit and weight burn penalties?

An innovative idea.. But realistically a complete pie-in-the-sky proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

it's in no way different than the countless patents registered by some of the companies, particularly Airbus.. anyone remember the flying doughnut? Standing "seats"? get it to the patent office ASAP, you can figure out how to use it later on..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Rome wasnt built in a day but he's a wise kid i'd say some more stuff to follow and one that will change the Aviation world.

Everything came from an idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

I think in the past they have experimented with screens over the front of the engine. Apart from disrupting the air flow, they have a tendency to accumulate ice as well.

Fair play to the lad. He sounds very smart. The trouble with this kind of innovation though is the enormous cost involved in proving it. I expect if he takes the idea to one of those colleges he might get to have some fun with a chicken gun :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

plodder wrote: »
    he might get to have some fun with a chicken gun :pac:

Just remember to defrost the chicken:D

Advertisement