Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Switch to replace existing two gang two way switch

Options
  • 30-10-2017 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am wondering if I am looking for the impossible here.

I have three locations that I would like to be able to activate lights remotely for security reasons. All three are currently fitted with two gang two way switches and control multiple light units. Just to add to the complication neutral is not accessible at any of the switches.

I am wondering if anyone has any bright ideas as to whether there are any existing solutions out there and if what I am looking for is actually going to be possible.

I know Philips Hue bulbs bypass switches but as in one case there are six bulbs being turned on by one switch it would not be that practical or cost effective to go that route.

Many thanks for any suggestions or comments.

Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Xiaomi light switches may do the trick here for you (there is also a double switch version):

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_625774.html?wid=21

You will also need the Xiaomi hub to get it working:

https://www.gearbest.com/alarm-systems/pp_345588.html?wid=37

If these are out of stock, you can shop around and get them elsewhere.

Another alternative is the new LightwaveRF kit, though it is VERY expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

Thanks for that info BK. Looks like an impressive range of interesting gear. I looked a few videos reviews and mostly very positive.

Thanks again,
    Dave

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I should point out that I haven't tried it myself yet, though others on this forum have. So I can't vouch for it.

I've ordered the hub and some sensors last week and I'll order a switch eventually myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

bk wrote: »
    I've ordered the hub and some sensors last week and I'll order a switch eventually myself.

I'll need to look at dimensions, depth etc in relation to fitting in the existing boxes in the concrete walls, or if not then how best to proceed.

If you get up and running in the near future it would be great if you could post back with your experiences.

I will certainly post about the hub and sensors, but it might take a few months before I get around to checking out the switches. If you search this forum, you will find the experiences of others who have already gotten them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement