Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track Days

• 30-10-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭

Really want to do a few track days next year and had a few questions for you gurus here.
    1) Mondello training day whats involved?
    2) Does Mondello do a Multiple bike days in a row? Travelling from donegal would like to do maybe 2/3 days together to make the journey worth while.
    3) Tyres, seems supercorsas are really popular how many days do a set last? Tyre warmers, beneficial or not?
    4) Spares, whats reasonable to carry at all times?
    5) Terrified im gonna drop my own bike is a cheap track bike worth it?(1998 zx6r for €1200 nearby)

Anything I'm missing?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ask Stewie......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Ask Stewie......:)

Savage day in Mondello yesterday.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Savage day in Mondello yesterday.:)

Dont suppose you would care to weigh in on the questions :)

cadete wrote: »
    Dont suppose you would care to weigh in on the questions :)

I will go one better than that.Poxy photobucket,hats the shower.:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103205665

Its 1 track day on its own,not over a weekend.

You dont need any special tyres or tyre warmers for a 1st trip to Mondello.

Road bike and learn the track slowly with the track marshals.
    You will be in the "Novice" group.

Then do a full trackday after that.

Then if you like it,look at getting a cheap road bike to convert to track use,or buy a cheap 400 or 600cc track bike.:)

Some pics and also a Brief video of yesterday,knee and elbow down.

better quality video.

• Advertisement

perfect, thanks for that, cant wait to give it a go! how many riders are generally on track during the training days?
    still might grab that zx6, I dont think I could bring meself to track my own bike,

^^^playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner^^ although could be my pc, im on work machine

perfect, thanks for that, cant wait to give it a go! how many riders are generally on track during the training days?
    still might grab that zx6, I dont think I could bring meself to track my own bike,

^^^playback on other websites has been disabled by the video owner^^ although could be my pc, im on work machine

Training day is more about bike control,braking,body position and acceleration and stopping distances. Its all done in a safe manner,and then you go out on track in the afternoon in small groups.
    A track marshal will take out a group 4 or 5 riders and will show you what to do and also look at what you may be doing wrong.

Its a fantastic learning day and so well worth it.

Dont know what the story is with the videos,but they should be working.

I had my R1 and S1000rr road bikes out on track and then got a CBR600rr race bike,its seriously addictive fun.:D

I think theres an issue with boards and picture/video uploading.

I had my R1 and S1000rr road bikes out on track and then got a CBR600rr race bike,its seriously addictive fun.:D

A couple of mates are into it (in england) and I need to give it a go, want to travel over there for a day or 2 with them aswell but need some covert lessons and practice first ;) Will definitely get a training day up in mondello as soon as they reopen!

Few more pics from yesterday

Had fun on the Beemer,but the CBR600rr was great craic indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Few more pics from yesterday

Had fun on the Beemer,but the CBR600rr was great craic indeed.

Wish i'd won the lotto and didnt have to work....:(

:P

Wish i'd won the lotto and didnt have to work....:(

:P

It is great craic,and it can be done on the cheap too.
    You will pick up a cheap 400 or 600 road bike or track bike for well under 2000 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Track days are great craic, I had a great time and (not so great times :rolleyes:) there.

1) Mondello training day whats involved?
    In the morning they talk to you about track position, etiquette what to do etc. Then then take you out for low speed maneuvering and stop/start drills.
    In the after noon you get coached and track time.

2) Does Mondello do a Multiple bike days in a row? Travelling from donegal would like to do maybe 2/3 days together to make the journey worth while.
    Nope but there is new race track being built in Co Tyrone (Lake Torrent new Coalisland) Hopefully will be finished by next year.

3) Tyres, seems supercorsas are really popular how many days do a set last? Tyre warmers, beneficial or not?
    You don't need warmers unless you're running race tyres (They are basically like stone when they are cold)
    Normal sport road tyres will do you.

4) Spares, whats reasonable to carry at all times?
    You wont have spares if you're on your road bike. but it might be an idea to bring spare brake and clutch leavers if you have them incase you drop your bike, they always break

5) Terrified im gonna drop my own bike is a cheap track bike worth it?(1998 zx6r for €1200 nearby)
    This happened me, I dropped my mint Sv650s. So I went a bought a 2007 R6 after that, but at this point you've been bitten, it's actually no cheaper.
    I bought a Van
    Spare rims
    Spare tyres
    Spare engine components
    Spare fairings
    Tyre Warmers
    New Paddock stands
    Ramp
    Servicing every 2 or 3 track days
    As I had a track bike I found myself doing more trackdays which also cost money.
    etc etc etc
    Ended up spending a fortune.

It is likely you'll end up dropping your bike, and if you're living miles away getting it home could be an issue if you cannot ride it. Think carefully. If you do go make sure you take your time and go slow.
    You will be the slowest there, so just accept that.

One of the Marshalls told me "Graham, you riding about 90% correct" which I though was a compliment. But what he actually meant was, you're taking that corner ok 90% of the time, the other 10% you're doing **** (to fast, not concentrating) and you're going to fall off..... and guess what... I did! :o

Thanks for the reply,
    Think I’m gonna go see that ninja, my Bikes paint is pearlescent and would cost a fortune to respray after a drop not even counting replacement bits, and have a wee van already for transport so won’t go spinning too much cash just yet! really keen to try mondello now, bring on March

A cheap but well running and serviced track hack bike and a van is the way to go,especially if traveling long distances to Mondello.

Febuary is only 3 months away now,so that time will go by fast.

But it gives you time to sort out a bike and service it for Mondello

A cheap but well running and serviced track hack bike and a van is the way to go,

Not sure if the missus will buy that :)

Not sure if the missus will buy that :)

get her a spa weekend away and she will love you for it.....:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'd love a track bike but I dont have the room :(

D3V!L wrote: »
    I'd love a track bike but I dont have the room :(

bring it into the house and have it beside the dining table.

Interesting topic of conversation each night when sitting down for dinner with the missus.....:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

bring it into the house and have it beside the dining table.

Interesting topic of conversation each night when sitting down for dinner with the missus.....:pac::D

It would be the track bike or the dining table, we dont have room for both. Also me talking about bikes more will end in a divorce !!! :pac:

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »
    It would be the track bike or the dining table, we dont have room for both. Also me talking about bikes more will end in a divorce !!! :pac:

.........or the dog kennel for you each night....haha:p

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

The training day is definitely worth doing before you jump in at the deep end . The slow speed drills will sharpen the skills you need on track and the classroom work will answer most of the questions you have but are afraid to ask . The day has a very relaxed atmosphere and there's always good banter between the lads , it's not like teacher / pupil , rather mates giving each other advice , you can spot the lads a mile away who just jump straight in at a trackday , the lads who do the training day have had a lot of the mistakes that are usually made pointed out to them and can recognise when something's not right and try rectify it rather than riding around oblivious .

So couldnt wait till march!!!

http://www.focusedevents.com/almeria-05-december-2017-european-trackday-828

Gixxer 600 k4 bought aswell for it!

So couldnt wait till march!!!

http://www.focusedevents.com/almeria-05-december-2017-european-trackday-828

Gixxer 600 k4 bought aswell for it!

SWEET.;):D

Did you buy the Gixer race bike up in NDM by any chance?

Im off to Cartagena in March,hopefully.

Very nice , it's a pity you didn't do the motocraft trip to Spain , that would've been ideal for starting off . The only bit of advice I'd give you is to take your time and build up your pace gradually , it's a long way to go to mince yourself on the first session , just don't be ' the one ' :-D

jay48 wrote: »
    Very nice , it's a pity you didn't do the motocraft trip to Spain , that would've been ideal for starting off . The only bit of advice I'd give you is to take your time and build up your pace gradually , it's a long way to go to mince yourself on the first session , just don't be ' the one ' :-D

All the bikes now over in Surrey and off to Spain.

Cotters offered me a place there last week,but dont have the time to do it so suddenly.

You going over Jay?:)

Nah , done Cartegena a few times a few years back , I get bored going around when I'm not there to do something on track lol . If I got the finger out and got fit it'd be tempting . From listening to the lads that done it , it sounds like a good trip .

SWEET.;):D

Did you buy the Gixer race bike up in NDM by any chance.
    Naw she belonged to a mate in Aberdeen, got her at a great price and going over with him so cant go wrong

jay48 wrote: »
    Very nice , it's a pity you didn't do the motocraft trip to Spain , that would've been ideal for starting off . The only bit of advice I'd give you is to take your time and build up your pace gradually
    It’s 6 days so steady away, think there is tuition included so will make use of it! Was looking at Motocraft but I’m at work until end of the month and couldn’t do it. Contacted Paul today so will maybe get away with them in March if this one goes well!

Can’t wait now!

Naw she belonged to a mate in Aberdeen, got her at a great price and going over with him so cant go wrong

It’s 6 days so steady away, think there is tuition included so will make use of it! Was looking at Motocraft but I’m at work until end of the month and couldn’t do it. Contacted Paul today so will maybe get away with them in March if this one goes well!

Can’t wait now!

You know you have to throw up pics of the new machine now.;):)

• Advertisement

Jesus , 6 days on track , accommodation and transport for 495 ! Did I read that right ?
    Seriously , pace yourself , 2 days on track will take it out of you , you'll struggle to walk on day 3 never mind go back on track ......6 days ........ that's hero stuff !

Advertisement