Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pest control in schools

Options
  • 30-10-2017 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Can I ask if any of you know how pest control is managed in your school? I've always had Rent-to-kill or one of those companies in but my new school doesn't seem to have anything in place and I'm afraid of mice getting in. Or heaven forbid worse! Does anyone know are there legal requirements or should I go to union on this one? Teacher I've replaced has previously raised the issue with the principal and was given plug in deterents as a solution which I don't think is adequate. I believe funding is tight and some of the rooms are a bit run down but surely this is a standard procedure across schools No?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We used to have those little green boxes with poison around the place, but given that kids drop bits of food around all sorts of places, I'd be surprised if they are not in already, or will be in soon when the temperatures drop. How long between bin collections will also have an effect.

If there is any building work going on nearby you will see them (or evidence of them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ultrasonic plug in repellents don't work.
    Poison.. but be sure to have your water tank covered tight as they seek out water when poisoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I come across little plastic Rentokill boxes every so often in my school, in the back of store rooms or presses and behind storage cabinets. I've never been aware of the company coming in though so they might be really old and not in use or they could be in periodically and I just don't hear about it. I have seen four rats in the school over the past decade, but none in the past three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Its a utilities management issue that you need to raise with your Principal. I don't think theres any union directive on utilities except temperature

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm not sure if you are primary or secondary, but I remember teaching in schools not so long ago where we set traps every morning from October to Christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement