Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post (Address Pal) Calling from the UK?

• 30-10-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi guys, I don't know if this is a consumer issue or not but I'm just a little weary so as it's a bank holiday and an post is closed I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone had similar experiences.

I ordered a parcel via Amazon a few days ago to my address pal. This is the second time I've used address pal, the first delivery to my post office went fine. But just awhile ago I had 2 missed calls on my phone from this number >> 016950375, I rang it and some foreign girl answered. Eventually she asked if I was expecting any deliveries and I said yes. She then said her colleague had gone to lunch and to ring back. I rang back and the guy said my parcel is too big for the post bag and it will cost me €25 to pick it up from the post office but if I go on my address pal account and register for home delivery it will cost me 7.99 instead.
    He told me to do that and call him back.

I was dubious of a scam but he knew I wasn't registered for home delivery so I'm thinking it more than likely is legit. But crazy getting called from an 01 number and it's from the UK!

Anyone experience this ?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The 01 number probably routes to the UK so the customer doesn't pay for anything other than a local call - not unusual.

Was what you ordered oversized?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Plus it wouldnt be a bank holiday in uk so would say its genuine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

The 01 number probably routes to the UK so the customer doesn't pay for anything other than a local call - not unusual.

Was what you ordered oversized?

Not according to the amazon website unless they put it in a huge box. The weight on the amazon site is 2.2KG, he said 3kg.

It's just hassle now. I did as he said, I registered for home delivery, I rang back and now it's like chatting with the old 'UPC' in Ireland, getting passed back and forth and no one knows nothing. My last chat was 'someone' will call you back. I seriously doubt it.

Seems it's legit alright, just dubious after getting through to a UK number and speaking to all foreign accents :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Plus it wouldnt be a bank holiday in uk so would say its genuine

Yep I gathered that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Exact same thing happened to me, was genuine, saved me 17 euro so was delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Huh. Just had a missed call from the same number and tried ringing back but got no answer. I'm already signed up for home delivery though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭4fvw6lcprxeoyq

Yep. Just missed a call from them.
    I get a lot of crap on eBay, and half the time sellers don't bother putting the AddressPal ID number at the start of the address. Usually AddressPal just email me, and we play a guessing game as to what the item might be.

Anyway I just rang back the number there, and it was an English girl, quite helpful, quick and friendly. We played the guessing game and it got sorted quickly enough.

Fair play to the AddressPal people, they do a good job. They could just as easily RTS, or wait until monday (it's 8:00 on a Friday evening now) to contact people. I think that Hermes is half the problem though.. they don't give enough space for ebay sellers to print the full address on the label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Welcome to the world of the Call Centre, where day can be night and your respondent could be in Ballyhaunis or Bombay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Don't mean to bump a three month old thread but thank you for posting this. Just got a call from 0025285162548, and then immediately (01)6950375. It was AddressPal asking about a parcel that arrived at their depot, but it just had the name and not the AP numbers (to confirm it was my shipment). She asked what I'm expecting and when confirmed, where they'd like it to go. The lady on the phone was v polite and helpful. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Couriers forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement