Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol license

Options
  • 30-10-2017 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

Anybody know if a pistol can be substituted for a rifle on license ?
    I hardly ever use the rifle anymore ( .222 )
    Thinking of getting a .22 pistol for target shooting instead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

A substitution can only be used on like for like ie: rifle to rifle or shotgun to shotgun. The other thing that may hinder you doing a sub is a pistol can only be licensed for use at an authorized pistol range so unless that was the condition you licensed the rifle for it could throw up a roadblock. Best bet is have a word with your local FO at least that will give them the heads up your going to be throwing in an application for a pistol license

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Depends on your Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Recently got this changed. My argument was unrestricted firearms licence to unrestricted firearms licence and like for like was prior to unrestricted/restricted firearms. In saying that it does come down to how willing the super is and you must be a member of a range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I have to agree with the last two posters. I've substituted .22 Hornet bolt action for .308 bolt action, shotgun for rifle and air rifle for shotgun without any issue as indeed the local Superintendent is of the opinion that unrestricted can be substituted for same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

In my local station, they wouldn't let me sub a 223 for a 308 as the "difference in caliber was too great", whereas i sub'd a 22lr for a 223 no problem.

Made very little sense to me, but I didn't really want to get into it. Long story short, ask the Garda who handles the FCA applications.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

alanmc wrote: »
    In my local station, they wouldn't let me sub a 223 for a 308 as the "difference in caliber was too great", whereas i sub'd a 22lr for a 223 no problem.

Made very little sense to me, but I didn't really want to get into it. Long story short, ask the Garda who handles the FCA applications.

I'm not trying to be smart but the Garda who handles the FAC applications has feckall say in the matter. It's whatever the Superintendent says as they make the decisions. Unfortunately it's pure luck as to whether the Super will allow that kind of substitution as they all seem to be operating differently.

It does help to be friendly to your local FO though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart but the Garda who handles the FAC applications has feckall say in the matter. It's whatever the Superintendent says as they make the decisions. Unfortunately it's pure luck as to whether the Super will allow that kind of substitution as they all seem to be operating differently.

It does help to be friendly to your local FO though.

I would imagine the FO would be operating with the knowledge of their SI's policy.

In my case, the FO said she'd asked the SI and he'd said he required a new application. Whether this is true or not, I'll never know. But, the SI was definitely not going to be presented with a sub from a 223 to a 308, that much was made abundantly clear to me.

Anyway, a little off topic here. The long and the short of it is, it depends on your station's SI. An inquiry to the FO should help clear things up - if even a little.

Advertisement