Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest bike shop in Dublin..still going

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,054 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Funny that, just the other day (before reading this thread) I was thinking about Mountjoy Motorcycles and what a loss it was. When I got my first heap of a bike I was in there most Saturdays buying some bit or other - they ALWAYS had it.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Funny that, just the other day (before reading this thread) I was thinking about Mountjoy Motorcycles and what a loss it was. When I got my first heap of a bike I was in there most Saturdays buying some bit or other - they ALWAYS had it.

City spares first then MJ.....remember drooling over the top boxes on the wall...so many colours...:)

Dont forget McHugh Himself on Talbot st.....think they were the Lewis Leathers importers...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRip9NDk4XI2j6m6oULFXpckwL1a14KwPLmpOEhaoUBJAfowJWJCQ

1976 Wing...........

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SeosamhOBored

Cienciano wrote: »
    Yeah that's it.

Wonderful picture of the old DMG Motorcycles. M&A used to be diagonally across the junction but moved over after DMG closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonderful picture of the old DMG Motorcycles. M&A used to be diagonally across the junction but moved over after DMG closed.

Many people got their first bike in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 SeosamhOBored

Dont forget McHugh Himself on Talbot st.....think they were the Lewis Leathers importers...

1976 Wing...........

What a wonderful picture! Where's Andy Deane now? And Gerard McHgh

K.Flyer wrote: »
    I think that was it, M&A was in the corner unit beside the lane and the other was where M&A is now and I remember one of them had the workshop down the lane.

IIRC when I was around that way in the late 90s M&A had both shops knocked together.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Cienciano wrote: »
    Many people got their first bike in there
    Got my Suzuki GSX250E in M&A in 1987 ( north strand road :-) )

What was the one on the Crumlin Rd..Gerry Stephens brother owned it i think.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I remember City Spares in Francis Street.
    One day I went there looking for a part for my Honda CD175. It was a bit informal "go out there and see if you can find it" :).
    Gem Motorcycles in Ranelagh was where I bought my new Honda CX500.
    I drove straight to Mountjoy Motorcycles for something and when I parked a lad said "You are keeping that bike in great nick, how long do you have it" .... Answer: "Fifteen minutes".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

One day I went there looking for a part for my Honda CD175. It was a bit informal "go out there and see if you can find it" :).
    Gem Motorcycles in Ranelagh was where I bought my new Honda CX500.
    I drove straight to Mountjoy Motorcycles for something and when I parked a lad said "You are keeping that bike in great nick, how long do you have it" .... Answer: "Fifteen minutes".
    Mountjoy Motorcycles on a Saturday morning was like a religious service for bikers. Queuing up past the new bikes and drooling over them.
    I didn't know who the City Spares guys were, but they were maybe a little gruff. It was hilarious one day when the queue of smelly bikers was ordered to let through a little nun looking for a part for her scooter. The big scary breaker yard bloke broke out the charm for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What was the one on the Crumlin Rd..Gerry Stephens brother owned it i think.....
    M&B?

Not your ornery onager

When was that? I lived close by and don't remember a bike shop on the Crumlin Road in the 80s or later

Opposite the Iveagh grounds..in the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Anyone remember the name of the bike shop in Dundalk back in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

Was the name Elliott's M/cycles - think they imported Moto Guzzi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Same here. I was simply told "take a look around and help yourself". A great place for spare parts back in the day.

70167116_10220431691604645_3272988701319233536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=D6sQa3Z1SWoAX955pCo&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ca81e9b1939193507a74601633863a0a&oe=604E73CC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

What a wonderful picture! Where's Andy Deane now? And Gerard McHgh

AFAIK Andy moved to Cork shortly after that and worked with Ross’s motorcycles as a mechanic. I knew him well in the late 70’s. Blast from the past.

vektarman wrote: »
    Same here. I was simply told "take a look around and help yourself". A great place for spare parts back in the day.

70167116_10220431691604645_3272988701319233536_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=3&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=D6sQa3Z1SWoAX955pCo&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ca81e9b1939193507a74601633863a0a&oe=604E73CC
    Wonder how far into the ground did the oil go.............:P

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭dubal2008

And nobody has thought of LME up in Windy Arbour, Dundrum, Liam helped me out so many times as a young lad. Even loaning me bikes when mine was off the road...He had a great Seca 750 at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

dubal2008 wrote: »
    And nobody has thought of LME up in Windy Arbour, Dundrum, Liam helped me out so many times as a young lad. Even loaning me bikes when mine was off the road...He had a great Seca 750 at the time

Liam is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I am old enough to remember City Spares in Handkerchief Alley, the bikes they had in for breaking would be restored as classics today. M and B motorcycles, Prices Place, Ranelagh, run by the late Eamonn Waldron, was a regular stop for me in the 70s, later morphed into the Kawasaki Centre, I think.
    Another long gone bike shop was Hanans on Stephens Green, near the Green cinema. I used to go in there in the 60s and admire the gleaming BSA bantams, and Tiger cubs. Another place I recall was Aidan O'Keefe on Parkgate St.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Nodster wrote: »
    Was the name Elliott's M/cycles - think they imported Moto Guzzi

I went with a mate to collect a brand new RG125 back in the day. was it elliotts? the names not really ringing a bell but you could well be right.Thanks

Am i wrong or was there another bike shop nearly opposite Jack Nolans in the Coombe...??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Am i wrong or was there another bike shop nearly opposite Jack Nolans in the Coombe...??

I don't remember one. Plenty of bikes parked across the road from Jack Nolans back in the day though as we were always told to park on the path opposite Jack Nolans.

vektarman wrote: »
    I don't remember one. Plenty of bikes parked across the road from Jack Nolans back in the day though as we were always told to park on the path opposite Jack Nolans.

:D..yeah i remember that...the number 50 bus was responsible for a few broken mirrors...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Does anyone remember a motorcycle shop in Pearse St. Near railway bridge on the TCD(North) side of the street? Talking about late 60's early 70's although it might have survived after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I am old enough to remember City Spares in Handkerchief Alley, the bikes they had in for breaking would be restored as classics today. M and B motorcycles, Prices Place, Ranelagh, run by the late Eamonn Waldron, was a regular stop for me in the 70s, later morphed into the Kawasaki Centre, I think.

I bought all my Triumph parts from Eamonn and Gerry in Ranelagh. Lately I bought a new RE Himalayan from Gerry's son in Bikeworld!!

Another long gone bike shop was Hanans on Stephens Green, near the Green cinema. I used to go in there in the 60s and admire the gleaming BSA bantams, and Tiger cubs.

I was about to post and ask what the name of that place on the Green was :)

I bought a new Honda SS125 there in the late 60s on the never, never and it never got fully paid :)

Edit: Was it Hanans or Hanas or Hannas?

rock22 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a motorcycle shop in Pearse St. Near railway bridge on the TCD(North) side of the street? Talking about late 60's early 70's although it might have survived after that.

Vague memories on that...remember walking past it..but it could as easily have been Mc'Hugh's in Talbot St... ...on in Blackrock that i just cant remember much about...anyone,,.??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Just to add to the list of shops no longer around, the Italian Shop run by John Elliot. An old school mechanic who helped me out more times than I dare try to count. I was not long after starting out on bikes, and he dealt with all of my stupid questions or poor attempts at self-maintenance with a quick quip, usually spoken around a cigar he's just lit off a butane torch.

A true gentleman who sadly passed away a few years ago.

Advertisement