Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween

Options
  • 30-10-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭

I loved this as a kid. Trick or treating, dressing up for it (black bin liner and mask), party games such as snap apple and bobbing for apples. Great memories. :-)

Comments

Yes, everyone liked halloween as kids..what's with all the 40 year old men dressing up as eleven from stranger things or (insert whatever pop culture reference here..) though?.. Symptomatic of the state of arrested development that's so prevalent nowadays I reckon..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Weird as well, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Collecting wood for the bonfire :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My absolute least favourite night of the year, it's an even bigger pain in the arse than New Year's Eve. Never liked it as a kid - not a fan of fancy dress and wandering around in the cold bothering neighbours for some crappy nuts or the odd sweet if you were lucky - and hate it even more as an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

You had your first week off school since going back in September too.

One thing that was really annoying was when someone threw a handful of single grapes into your bag and they got mushed all over your good stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭briany

As I understand it, Halloween in Ireland used to be a night when few people ventured out after dark due to old superstitions. Instead, people would gather indoors, telling stories and playing traditional games. Going door to door to collect food from neighbours was a popular custom, but was typically done before nightfall and was still referred to as Mumming or Guising rather than the American Trick-or-Treat.

What I'm getting at, here, is when, exactly, did the old traditions get supplanted by what is essentially a facsimile of the American version? Late 70s?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yeah, probably 70's/early 80's. In the 80's we were still celebrating it the old fashioned way (Snap Apple etc) but I grew up in a rural area so it might have been different in towns and cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Never liked it as a kid either, hated wearing masks for some reason esp the ugly 80s plastic ones that cracked and started to disintegrate within minutes of wearing.

Far less sweets and chocs then, it was all about apples and monkey nuts both of which I disliked. Weirded out by the lack of hygiene about snap apple!

Advertisement