Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to spend on a ring

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    That it is. Down the years American culture has never failed to genuinely intrigue me in it's oft binary approach to things. It's why I like the place. EG One of the most liberal cultures on the planet cheek by jowl with one of the most conservative. The rich, the poor, the cultured and the ignorant. It's about the biggest culture of contrasts that has ever existed. The easy going nature mixed with the fear factor of the "other", the "threat" another contrast. It's woven through the culture like words in a stick of rock and has been since the beginning(and why the gun subculture holds so much sway in an otherwise stable safe western democracy, yet so many Americans seem to think they're living in a war zone. Hence why I think gun control attempts miss the point entirely). It's even evident in its art and especially in drama. It's no surprise the zombie notion arose there. This idea of a mindless horde of primitives coming to take everything away. One could look at the current The Walking Dead series as quite the insight into the American cultural mind, the collective horde out to kill the individual and including the again fear and distrust of the promise of safety, or utopias among the chaos(the latter must be found out and destroyed). As I say it fascinates me, but as bloody usual I digress... *bans self for being off topic* :o:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Of course jewellery and cash are what burglars take. Thats why you have insurance and if necessary a safe.

they would take a cubic zircona ring as well, unless they had a jeweller with them who knew it was worthless.

Your point does not make sense, get a small ring, because they might rob a larger ring, when the reality they'd rob anything they could get their hands on.

I would class myself as very street wise and know where and when to wear things. What I wont do, however, is not buy ANYTHING for fear that it could be taken.

In that respect, I've worn expensive rings, watches and bracelets for the past 20 years and never had anyone stalk me over them.

The bigger risk for me when travelling is that I do something stupid like leave it on the nightstand or sink etc and thats when it will be swiped.

The reality is an expensive ring is no more a target than a cubic zircona piece of cut glass for normal people who just go about their business.

• Advertisement

I said for normal people who just go about their business.

Kim Kardashian and her ilk could never be classed as normal.

Unfortunately, unless my numbers come up in the Euromillions, I wont have to ever worry about a 4m anything. But having worked hard enough, Im not going to begrudge myself a nice watch or a nice bracelet or ring or ear rings, which could cost in the region of 10K as thats what Im into.

If that was reasoning, I should live in a poor area, because if I live in an expensive area, I will be a target because people think I have nice stuff. That is the way it is unfortunately, but I will live in the nicest area I can afford, as will most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

anewme wrote: »
    I said for normal people who just go about their business.

Kim Kardashian and her ilk could never be classed as normal.

Unfortunately, unless my numbers come up in the Euromillions, I wont have to ever worry about a 4m anything. But having worked hard enough, Im not going to begrudge myself a nice watch or a nice bracelet or ring or ear rings, which could cost in the region of 10K as thats what Im into.

If that was reasoning, I should live in a poor area, because if I live in an expensive area, I will be a target because people think I have nice stuff. That is the way it is unfortunately, but I will live in the nicest area I can afford, as will most people.
    I think you're missing the point. People can't put a gun (or other such weapons) to your head and walk off with your house. Literally wearing your wealth is risky, it can easily be lost, stolen etc.

Insurance doesn't come free either, make a large claim and see what happens to your premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

We ended up spending €2,150, I chose an aquamarine stone with some little diamonds around it. Saw another one that was €1,000 but it was second-hand and a bit grubby looking so we went for the first one. I can't wait to debut it at Christmas!

givyjoe wrote: »
    I think you're missing the point. People can't put a gun (or other such weapons) to your head and walk off with your house. Literally wearing your wealth is risky, it can easily be lost, stolen etc.

Insurance doesn't come free either, make a large claim and see what happens to your premium.

Im not missing the point.

My point is: how do they know how much an item is, unless you have a tag on it?

How do they know if it is real or fake?

A lot of women wear bling costume jewellery. Are they putting themselves at risk?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

anewme wrote: »
    Im not missing the point.

My point is: how do they know how much an item is, unless you have a tag on it?

How do they know if it is real or fake?

A lot of women wear bling costume jewellery. Are they putting themselves at risk?

Sounding a bit naive with those questions. Some criminals are good at their 'job', so yes, they may well be able to have a rough idea of value. They may not be able to tell if it's real or fake, so maybe they'd just rob you and figure it out later.

Someone wearing lots of obvious bling is quite obviously at a greater risk of being targeted than someone who isn't.

Anywho, completely off the topic. The chap should spend what him and his partner agree should be spent, i.e. little, nothing or 'lots'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's the culture in Ireland.
    The ring is just part of the entire parcel of The Wedding (since the cost of that is very often north of €20k it deserves the capital letters), the honeymoon, the house, the contents of same, the cars, if you put it all together you're easily over the half mill, so €10k for the ring is tuppence.
    Then of course comes the kids, the nanny, the school supplies and clothes, games console, computers, tablets, phone, college or university, cars, house, wedding...
    I'd say a lot of couples would spend nearly the full million on all of that combined, so they have to work like dogs all their lives (or at least Daddy has to), so they can retire in the end with a few bucks in the bank and a house that's just about been paid off (and in need of a renovation) unless it has been remortgaged to buy the kids a house.
    It's just part of being a total slave to the system, all so the neighbours won't talk behind you're back because you're "different", the biggest crime anyone can commit in Ireland.

I got married late in life, we bought rings first and foremost for us. A matching set of stainless steel rings with an inlaid silver band and an inscription in the ring. Cost around €300. We love them.
    For our wedding we bought €20 Claddagh rings, just to have something to put on each others fingers. The important thing is each other. And not to be laden down with hundreds of thousands of debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Do they wipe your arse with 50 notes as well ?

That is Celtic tiger type ****e right there

Advertisement