Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost of Tsushima

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Killing 5 lads with the upgraded standoff is so satisfying .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Any tips for how to push through the fatigue? I spent about 15 hours in the first area doing collectibles, outposts etc - just got to act 2 and got the Sakai
    armor
    and did A Message in Fire but I’m literally telling myself to go back and play it - have no desire to. Did any of ye have this and how did ye push past it? I really want to finish it but anytime I think of turning it on I’m just like nah I’ll watch some YouTube instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Any tips for how to push through the fatigue? I spent about 15 hours in the first area doing collectibles, outposts etc - just got to act 2 and got the Sakai
    armor
    and did A Message in Fire but I’m literally telling myself to go back and play it - have no desire to. Did any of ye have this and how did ye push past it? I really want to finish it but anytime I think of turning it on I’m just like nah I’ll watch some YouTube instead

I'm in the exact same position. Cleared out the first area except 2 camps and did the story mission that opens up the second area but i have no desire to play the game, haven't played it in about a week and have just now started on a new game (Nioh 2) instead of finishing Tsushima.

I'm thinking im going to play it only after night shifts in work when im tired for about an hour before i hit the bed. Its a pretty chill game travelling around on the horse knocking off points of interest. If i take this approach i think ill still be playing the game 6 months from now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

I'm in the exact same position. Cleared out the first area except 2 camps and did the story mission that opens up the second area but i have no desire to play the game, haven't played it in about a week and have just now started on a new game (Nioh 2) instead of finishing Tsushima.

I'm thinking im going to play it only after night shifts in work when im tired for about an hour before i hit the bed. Its a pretty chill game travelling around on the horse knocking off points of interest. If i take this approach i think ill still be playing the game 6 months from now :D

Yeah I love the travelling around too but I’d really like to finish it - I hit a mission like A message in fire and once it’s done I’m just saying **** that, gonna go look for some foxes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Once I accepted that I need not maintain 'honour' i.e. embracing the Ghost, had a lot more fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Some free DLC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

got the grilfriend review treatment this week, not their best but its a good review all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

ERG89 wrote: »

Some free DLC

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/08/17/ghost-of-tsushima-legends-coming-to-ps4-fall-2020/
    "Legends is an entirely new experience," Darren Bridges, senior game producer at Sucker Punch wrote in a post on the PlayStation Blog. "It's a separate mode that doesn't follow Jin or the companions from his journey, but instead focuses on four warriors who have been built up as legends in stories told by the people of Tsushima.

"Ghost of Tsushima's single-player campaign focuses on an open world and exploring the natural beauty of the island, but Legends is haunting and fantastical, with locations and enemies inspired by Japanese folk tales and mythology and an emphasis on cooperative combat and action.

"We designed Legends to be an exclusively cooperative gameplay experience. You'll be able to partner up with friends or via online matchmaking and play Legends in groups of 2-4 players. Each player can choose from one of four different character classes: the Samurai, Hunter, Ronin, or Assassin. Each class has unique advantages and abilities that we'll reveal in the future.

"With two players in Ghost of Tsushima: Legends, you'll be able to play a series of co-op story missions that escalate in difficulty, building on the foundation of combat from the single-player campaign but with new magical twists that often require careful synchronisation with your partner.

"With four players, you'll be able to take on wave-based survival missions, fighting groups of the toughest enemies Tsushima has to offer, Including new Oni enemies with supernatural abilities.

"If you can best the story and survival missions, you may be confident enough to take on the four-player raid that will arrive shortly after the launch of Ghost of Tsushima: Legends, sending you and your partners to an entirely new realm to challenge a brutal, terrifying enemy."

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Yea I'm done with the game. It's just too bang average.
    Don't have the time to invest in 50 hours if I'm bored.

Sell sell sell time

I agree with this, I'm about ten hours in and it feels like a chore. Don't see the hype at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I agree with this, I'm about ten hours in and it feels like a chore. Don't see the hype at all.

It gets much better once you unlock all the stances.
    Its a fantastic game with great combat and lots of cute foxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

The game takes a while to get going. At first it has got janky combat, boring characters, standard revenge plotline, open-world fluff.

Then after about 4 hours, everything just clicks. It is worth sticking with.

It's a good game, no doubt, but I feel there were so many shortcuts taken on the mechanics -the stealth kills are all over the place, floating down the side of a mountain to your death, NPCs AI is awful etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭McFly85

A couple of hours in on this, looks very nice but gameplay can be a bit clunky. When it works, facing a group of soldiers while switching between stances and chaining some good parries/blocks can be thrilling, but there's some small things that have annoyed me during battle:

First, the camera. It's awful. Specifically because(not that I can see) there's a button to center the camera behind my character again. Theres been times where some Mongols had taken me by surprise but the camera automatically stays at the same position, and moving it is slooooooooow, so I'm dead by the time I have it at the angle I want. Also there's been times where there's a tree or a wall between the character and the camera so I cant actually see anything that's going on, forcing me to run away and fix the camera before I can start fighting again. Loads of games have had the good sense to make anything between the character and the camera transparent, I see no reason why its not here.

Overuse of the R2 button for everything! This is a minor one but I was liberating a camp and needed to change stances, but did it too close to a cage so Jin tried to open the cage instead of doing what I needed! He was promptly stabbed by the nearby spear-wielder.

I'll still stick with it as I don't have too many other complaints, just feel that it could be more polished. Also I know its early days but I really hope all of the quests arent basically liberating people or places from the Mongols and there are at least some more lighthearted side quests around herding goats or getting into a drinking contest or something, 30+ hours of "save us from the evil mongols!" sounds repetitive and depressing. I will wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You can speed up the camera turning in the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭skerry

Finished up the first act of this a couple weeks ago. Havent had the urge to pick it up since, think I got a bit burned out on it. Was chasing up every side quest so gonna try get back into it and stick to main quest and see how I go over the next few days. If its not blowing me away at that point I'm thinking I might trade for TLOU2 while it still has a decent trade value.

Off to CeX with this tomorrow I think. Lovely looking game but the gameplay isn't engaging me at all. Too many quests where your traveling from one side of the map to the next, fight a few guys en route and sent off back another direction altogether then. Combat and missions are getting too samey. I've spent the bones of an hour traveling to the next mission on Act 2 tonight and Im still not there and the open world, apart from looking lovely, isnt engaging enough to make that enjoyable for me. I'm re playing The Witcher 3 on Switch at the moment too and I think that's just highlighting the open world shortcomings even more. Decent trade in value at the moment and will probably pick up TLOU2 and see how I get on with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

skerry wrote: »
    Off to CeX with this tomorrow I think. Lovely looking game but the gameplay isn't engaging me at all. Too many quests where your traveling from one side of the map to the next, fight a few guys en route and sent off back another direction altogether then. Combat and missions are getting too samey. I've spent the bones of an hour traveling to the next mission on Act 2 tonight and Im still not there and the open world, apart from looking lovely, isnt engaging enough to make that enjoyable for me. I'm re playing The Witcher 3 on Switch at the moment too and I think that's just highlighting the open world shortcomings even more. Decent trade in value at the moment and will probably pick up TLOU2 and see how I get on with that.

Your problem was chasing up all the crap side quests imo it should be a rule now o just stick with story missions TIL it’s over then do some side stuff if you want or are not bored yet the open world is just not a wow factor anymore nowadays it ends up dragging games down now imo

Hell this game kinda turns into a linear game during act 2 into act 3 it actively throws you into story mission after story mission for that I was grateful

biggebruv wrote: »
    Your problem was chasing up all the crap side quests imo it should be a rule now o just stick with story missions TIL it’s over then do some side stuff if you want or are not bored yet the open world is just not a wow factor anymore nowadays it ends up dragging games down now imo

Hell this game kinda turns into a linear game during act 2 into act 3 it actively throws you into story mission after story mission for that I was grateful

Definitely did more chasing yellow birds that I should have in Act 1 but I've played a couple of hours of Act 2 now and the core gameplay just isn't engaging me and I'm not invested in the story whatsoever. Its a lovely looking game and I wouldn't say it's bad, just not something I think I can spend 30 to 40 hours on.

Definitely did more chasing yellow birds that I should have in Act 1 but I've played a couple of hours of Act 2 now and the core gameplay just isn't engaging me and I'm not invested in the story whatsoever. Its a lovely looking game and I wouldn't say it's bad, just not something I think I can spend 30 to 40 hours on.

If you just do the main quests its probably about half that length, but the character sidequests have some of the best stuff in the game

My biggest mistake was playing RDR2 very recently, I played that game for about 6 months because I couldn't stop exploring every inch of the map. I don't get that same urge to explore with this game. There's very little interaction with the NPCs and environment.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    If you just do the main quests its probably about half that length, but the character sidequests have some of the best stuff in the game

I've done any of those I came across in Act 1 just not finding it that interesting. There's a few other issues I have with it that just make me think I have no chance of sticking this game through to the end. I was handed a map last night with a location I had to recognise in the area in order to proceed the quest but the game was so busy changing weather effects from foggy to misty to whatever else that I couldn't even see the hill I was supposed to be looking at. As far as the wind mechanic and yellow birds go, its nice they tried something different, but there's quests there that could really do with a mini map and the yellow birds popping up every hundred yards just gets distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Two(ish) birds, one cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭McFly85

Considering how much the devs want you to appreciate how pretty the game looks, I think they would have been better off not bothering with a day/night cycle. There are too many scenes that are context dependent, so you'll go from a clear morning immediately to sunset to raining during the day to a clear night in the space of 20 minutes, which breaks the immersion of a persistent world for me.

Anyway there's no clock, so I assume no time dependent missions, so it seems a bit pointless.

Also while the combat is by far and away the best part of the game for me, I did notice when I am engaging a group of enemies and want to essentially disengage(i.e. run away) the game seems to have trouble interpreting it, or that I have to be far enough away before it will let me actually run.

And I spent about 20 minutes after clearing out the lighthouse wandering around looking for hidden enemies because the game was telling me it was incomplete. Turns out it was because I lit the lighthouse before clearing all the enemies out, and I had to symbolically light it again after for the game to consider the area complete.

I'm still finding it fun and I know I'm sounding nitpicky but almost every time I play it there's something jarring that makes it difficult for me to get completely lost in the game for a couple of hours, and an extra month or 2 of tidying up could have turned it from a good experience to a great one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,245 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Finished it tonight, a fitting end to a fantastic game, 8/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Only an hour or so into this failing to grab me so far.

Very nice looking game, the combat seems like a poor mans sekiro at the moment.

Only an hour or so into this failing to grab me so far.

Very nice looking game, the combat seems like a poor mans sekiro at the moment.

It is extremely basic and a bit janky at first but it gets very satisfying before long.

Markitron wrote: »
    It is extremely basic and a bit janky at first but it gets very satisfying before long.

Heard when I unlock a few stances it gets a bit better alright. Will give it more of a chance.

Heard when I unlock a few stances it gets a bit better alright. Will give it more of a chance.

The fun (for me) actually started when I got to mix all the tools/items into the sword combat.

Liberated the southern part of the island fully, and onto the start of Act 2.

My penchant for completing all the side quests has made me a killing machine. I feel very op, I am enjoying it a lot more now.

Doesn't reinvent the wheel but enjoyable so far anyway and great to look at.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 LillyLin

I usually don't like complicated games, but this is a must have game

Advertisement