Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghost of Tsushima

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do you have confirmation that the collectables in this game do not relate to missions in game?

Out of interest

Just someone talking about it on eurogamer, bemoaning that the mission design hasn't managed to move on. So second hand information. In this case they said that they were given a mission to find some moss right after a big battle and were complaining about it and the tracking missions. Not sure if it's a mission type that appears often in the critical path or not.

As for collectibles. I don't know there but I imagine they work just like other open world games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't check out Mike Williams review until now but it's a pretty informative and well written one from someone who loves these types of games.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-review

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not sure if you guys follow him, but ACG has review up. Its quite informative:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Found this one good. "If you don't want to do any open world bull****, you don't have to, but what I did do, I really liked. I never found myself saying 'oh, not more of this'"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Mine has shipped today from Gamestop, took a punt on a shiny special edition.

Roll on Friday, am very excited. Reviews I've read from fellow Boardsies are great reads too, thanks for those.

• Advertisement

• Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Found this one good. "If you don't want to do any open world bull****, you don't have to, but what I did do, I really liked. I never found myself saying 'oh, not more of this'"

I can apply the same thought process to Breath of the Wild, Karok seeds are not as amazing as you may think. It became a pain once I just needed them for more inventory space and after the 20th time the wonder and awe was gone.

BOTW has open world bull**** too. Nice that you can avoid it also here.

• For anyone getting this on launch.

11GB Patch

https://twistedvoxel.com/ghost-of-tsushima-update-1-04-patch-notes/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I can apply the same thought process to Breath of the Wild, Karok seeds are not as amazing as you may think. It became a pain once I just needed them for more inventory space and after the 20th time the wonder and awe was gone.

BOTW has open world bull**** too. Nice that you can avoid it also here.

Once it became apparent to me that the only things I would find in BotW were seeds and shrines I just stopped exploring, was just getting me more worried about running into enemies and all my weapons breaking.

• Link to the review below. Some mild very early game story spoilers but nothing you wouldn't know from looking at the box.

http://www.bone-idle.ie/ghost-tsushima-review/

Added to my favorites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Watched the Digital Foundry review. The reviewer was the only person i have heard so far to pronounce Tsushima correctly. Even the devs who went on location were pronouncing it Suushima :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Watched the Digital Foundry review. The reviewer was the only person i have heard so far to pronounce Tsushima correctly. Even the devs who went on location were pronouncing it Suushima :pac:

I'm no Japanese professor, but I would say it the way the DF guy said it too!
    Americans tend to say things the way they want, regardless of how many times you point out it's not twot it's twat :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

For anyone getting this on launch.

11GB Patch

https://twistedvoxel.com/ghost-of-tsushima-update-1-04-patch-notes/

Im downloading it atm and it 350mb not 11 gigs :confused:

• Im downloading it atm and it 350mb not 11 gigs :confused:

Says so in the article!

Version 1.04 For Europe

I'd guess it's not released yet and you are downloading an older patch

You can check on the PS4 by viewing update details

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just someone talking about it on eurogamer, bemoaning that the mission design hasn't managed to move on. So second hand information. In this case they said that they were given a mission to find some moss right after a big battle and were complaining about it and the tracking missions. Not sure if it's a mission type that appears often in the critical path or not.

As for collectibles. I don't know there but I imagine they work just like other open world games.

I remember that one. ( I might be a bit foggy as it was hours of gaming ago) But if I remember it, it is a side quest within a side quest, that gives you choice and has consequences.

You are travelling with a monk. He has to go visit a village that has a sick person in it that he needs to help and he is worried about bandits.

On the way you pass a couple getting attacked. You can choose to leave them or delay and help them.

A bit more down the road you pass a house and someone calls you over. If you choose to go over, you learn that her husband is feeling sick. You find out he ate some poisonous mushrooms. The antidote is the moss that grows near a river out the back. So you have to grab some moss to make a cure and he gets better.

I helped both, and as a result by the time I got to the village I was too late and the person had died. The monk is upset as he pushed you to stop and blames himself for the delay.

There is a nice moment between both as they discuss the quandry of stopping and helping versus not. The death of one helped lots more etc.

It was a nice little side mission, to say it was collecting moss is kinda disingenuous.

There are a few different collectables.

Fox Dens: If you see a firefly covered tree there is usually a Fox near by. If you follow him he will bring you to shrine. Then you can give him a rub which is great.
    Shrines: If you see those torii gates you can explore and find a climbing puzzle.
    Musicians: will give you a quest to a mini boss to unlock some new armour or a move move.
    Bamboo strikes: These are little timed button combination puzzles.
    Haikus you sit and compose a poem.
    Hot springs you get naked and meditate to increase health.
    Birds can be anything from new vanity items to trader camps.

Everything is stumbled upon from exploring and the rewards can be anything from a new head band to improved heatlh, resolve or new armour and master techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Do Argos usually have games on release?
    My local GS closed and want a physical copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Do Argos usually have games on release?
    My local GS closed and want a physical copy.

Yupp, they usually do, should be 55 to 60 compared to 70 at GS anyway. My plan is to get it in Argos anyway. Think Grumpy hit the final nail for me.

Speaking of Grumpy, i know it probably won't be better than Days Gone but would you rate it better than TLOU 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp, they usually do, should be 55 to 60 compared to 70 at GS anyway. My plan is to get it in Argos anyway. Think Grumpy hit the final nail for me.

Speaking of Grumpy, i know it probably won't be better than Days Gone but would you rate it better than TLOU 2?

It is so different it is hard to say it is better. I preferred this, but I came to it after TLOU2 so I was a bit beaten down with the tone in that one.

When I just got to stroll around in this stunning world of Tsushima I found it uplifting. Which seems odd for a game where your whole island is massacred and you go on a revenge rampage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,897 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Any outposts in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Man I really want this game. Perhaps a week of eating cheap noodles is afoot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

What are the blooms of smoke you see when you're up high? settlements?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

Link to the review below. Some mild very early game story spoilers but nothing you wouldn't know from looking at the box.

http://www.bone-idle.ie/ghost-tsushima-review/

First time ever reading your reviews . Very good . Keep it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I apologise for triggering you over a videogame.

*whispers* Soulsborne games are shyte :pac:

Sounds right up my alley, didnt read any of the reviews only what was said here, comparison to Horizon, excellent, as that was my GOTY that year iirc. Again, I have faith in Sucker Punch to deliver another enjoyable game.

Delivered this morning! This will really interfere with remote working today... :)

https://kotaku.com/ghost-of-tsushima-is-being-praised-by-japanese-critics-1844387298

Nice article here on how Japanese critics are praising the game’s depiction of the Kamakura Era (1185–1333) with one highlighting that Jin Sakai isn’t the typical samurai of foreign creation, but rather, a real Japanese 侍 (samurai), with the site using both the English “samurai” and the word’s kanji to highlight this distinction.

Good to see that they seem to have nailed the world building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭brady12

Delivered this morning! This will really interfere with remote working today... :)

Who did you pre order it off ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

This was on my list "to get at some point" but some of the reviews are pushing me towards an immediate download.

brady12 wrote: »
    Who did you pre order it off ?

Gamestop. Only place selling the edition I wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Gamestop. Only place selling the edition I wanted!

They always get the Irish exclusives https://www.gamestop.ie/only-at-gamestop#Ghost%20of%20Tsushima

Same as Game get all the UK ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Roll on midnight!!!

Advertisement