Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no coffee shops or restaurants in Chapelizod

Options
  • 30-10-2017 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi.

I've just moved to Chapelizod and am really noticing how few hospitality businesses there are in the village.

I know a lot of people say that town is only a stones throw away etc. but it still seems odd that there is only two pubs on no coffee shops or restaurants etc in the village. There seems to be quite a few apartments and houses in the area so I would have thought there would be even a small demand for such places.

It also has quite a few derelict properties. I would have imagined being this close to town and the m50 that wouldn't be the case, especially with the current demand for housing.

It's a great little village all the same but just wondering if it has always been this way or if anyone has any thoughts on why it isn't more developed.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Dubln City from East forum.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Citygirl1

There was a lovely café called Café De Broc, which seems to have closed down in the last few months. Such a shame. I had lunch there once, and tea/cake another time, and the staff were really nice.

As you say, it does seem like an area to justify one café. I don't live there, but go for walks frequently in the area, and would like to have a café to drop in to.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

Yeah I've seen that place, it still has the sign up but does seem to be closed. The pub and restaurant at the bridge is closed now as well.

It's like the village that everyone, including businesses, forgot.

It's a shame because a few little shops around where the villager and spar are would be a really nice place to pass a few hours while having some food and drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dereliction doesnt always correlate with demand. Sometimes plots lay idle due to stupid legal reasons and landowners unwilling to or cant afford to develop. lots of derelict sites even on big streets like camden srteet aungier street..abbey street parnell street. Obviously those plots are pretty high in demand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No parking. Not enough people in the immediate area I reckon. Also grid locked a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

Not even a chipper in the place, it's like the Twilight zone of Dublin....

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dbs103

@wakka12, yeah never thought of reasons like the ones you have mentioned. From what I've heard planing permission in the area can be quite strict. If true, I'm sure that would influence plans to buy and develop some of the derelict sites.

@beauf parking is really hard to come by in the village, even in the complex we live in. Often times there is nowhere for someone thats visiting to park. The parking issue doesn't do the area any favours really.

I've had a quick look online and can't find much in the way of future development plans for the area. Maybe it will just be a case of businesses opening up if and when they're needed.

It would be great to see a few more places opening and see if the vilage could really thrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Have a read of Candle in the Wind about Castleknock theres quite a bit in about Chapelizod. Its seems to be one of the oldest villages in the area if not Ireland.

http://www.fingal.ie/blog/?p=2032

often I'm passing through and want to stop to get something in the shop and can't because there is no parking. Because there's so much through traffic, I would assume the vast majority of traffic just passes though because there's no where to park. Year ago it seemed there was more parking. We used to stop on a regular basis. No longer do.

Advertisement