Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion over wall vents

Options
  • 30-10-2017 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey everyone,

I need to add a wall vent to a room (aiming to drill a 4’ hole and insert a piece of pipe). The outside of the house has rough wet dash finish, so for ease I was aiming to install round vent covers externally.

• Is there a difference between external and internal when looking at PVC vent covers?
    • Should a fly screen be installed in both side
    • Should I install a back draft shutter?

Now i know over thinking this, my last house had a hole in the wall with a square plastic cover but if you could humour me any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

James
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

clarej5 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I need to add a wall vent to a room (aiming to drill a 4’ hole and insert a piece of pipe). The outside of the house has rough wet dash finish, so for ease I was aiming to install round vent covers externally.

• Is there a difference between external and internal when looking at PVC vent covers?
    • Should a fly screen be installed in both side
    • Should I install a back draft shutter?

Now i know over thinking this, my last house had a hole in the wall with a square plastic cover but if you could humour me any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

If your installing a 4" pipe into the wall make sure its higher on the inside with a slight slope to outside to stop any water ingress. You can get a square vent cover for the outside which will screw into the brick and you can silicone into the pipe. you will need to knock off some of the dashing and some silicone behind the vent cover on the outside. I usually only use the round push in covers inside, but i've seen them used on the outside too.

Before cutting a large 4" hole in the wall i would consider using rectangular ducting. Its not as large a hole in the wall, but usually enough.

For brick finished houses i prefer this https://www.lenehans.ie/oracstar-airbrick-flat-channel-adaptor.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8 clarej5

Thanks DublinDilbert,

I must be missing something but I don't see why i would opt for the rectangle option instead of round? Drilling out a rectangle and chipping off a load of dashing seems to create a lot of extra work when compared to drilling a single round hole and using a round cap.

You reply didn't really mention the back draft shutter or fly screen, Any thoughts on these.

Again thanks for the info, really appreciated.

James

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

clarej5 wrote: »
    Thanks DublinDilbert,

I must be missing something but I don't see why i would opt for the rectangle option instead of round? Drilling out a rectangle and chipping off a load of dashing seems to create a lot of extra work when compared to drilling a single round hole and using a round cap.

You reply didn't really mention the back draft shutter or fly screen, Any thoughts on these.

Again thanks for the info, really appreciated.

James

I find it easier to make a neat rectangle, by drilling out the corners and joining up the sides rather than trying to drill out a circle.

Also I find the rectangular ducts much easier to work with, as on the inside you can cover them with a 9" x 3" rectangular cover, or even possibly a 6" x 3" cover.

Advertisement