Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher Shortage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Seannew1 wrote:
    Just heard Bruton on radio attributing the shortage of subs to the increased amount of permanent posts and career breaks; is this man actually for serious?? surely a vote of confidence needs to be lodged......

In primary career breaks are approx 1700 for the current year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I felt sure the irony in my post was blatant. It's possible I didn't use enough cliche.
    In posters defence, I didn't realise you were being facetious either. There are so many teacher bashers about, it's hard to separate humour from the begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 userb

I couldn't believe Bruton when I heard him on the radio. my goodness, how disingenuous and misleading is he? And this is the Media coverage the sector is receiving and this is coverage the media feel comfortable allowing... I don't want to use this term but this really is Fake News...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In order to solve the vacancies caused -according to the minister- by 'teachers on career breaks'...

He's going to use teachers on career breaks!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/education-minister-exploring-ways-for-teachers-on-career-break-to-fill-part-time-posts-813954.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

In order to solve the vacancies caused -according to the minister- by 'teachers on career breaks'...

He's going to use teachers on career breaks!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/education-minister-exploring-ways-for-teachers-on-career-break-to-fill-part-time-posts-813954.html

This is what happens when you cut the salary and increase workload over 6 years. Imagine what it will be like in 10. England here we come with teaching becoming an apprenticeship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

we all know the elephant in the room here; teachers will become that scarce that you will have only to have a level 6 qualification or less to teach/look after students. might get a "specalist" every so often in to give them notes etc. the leaving cert will go the same way as the junior cert, project work, online assesments, feck all actual proper assessment you can stand over. students will use electronic devices and internet live feeds for actual subject work. all you will have are glorified SNAs and childminders "teaching". this scenario would not surprise me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Nothing wrong with project work as a form of assessment if it is properly evaluated and externally monitored. This costs money however and many years ago government policy (of all shades) became to fleece the education system where possible.

To see the future here, we just have to look at the UK. We have followed them slavishly for years, never learning from their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’m not a fan of continuous assessment for the LC. Will see the poor suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

Management asked the staff today if they knew any subs as we now had none. Never happened before, even last year turning away loads of subs. Large school in the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

was asked today in my school if i knew any english teachers? immediate start south meath cannot be got, i was shocked, english like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

Local school here short of technical teachers . Woodwork and technology are particularly problematic.

I wonder how long it’ll be before local media begin to report on the difficulties?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

doc_17 wrote: »
    I wonder how long it’ll be before local media begin to report on the difficulties?

RTE had a piece on the issue last week, although they focused mainly on primary school teachers.

The notion of surplus subjects at least for short term positions seems to be gone too. I know of Dublin schools who cannot get English teachers for example.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Could anybody tell me if a course exists anywhere in Ireland that would allow a qualified Primary School teacher to convert to Secondary?

I have an MA in one of the "shortage" subjects and would be interested in the possibility of switching out of the primary sector. I know I can be employed on a temporary basis with ETBs but cannot be offered a permanent position with my current qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

You have to do the full PME to change sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

And at least 60 undergraduate credits in that subject spread over first, second, and third year credits in order to teach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

doc_17 wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/over-3-000-unqualified-teachers-employed-to-plug-gaps-in-schools-1.3294877?mode=amp

Times had a piece today- apparently it's due to career breaks and people fe*king off to Dubai ...not a mention of the pay cuts extra hours casualisation and short hour contracts

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/over-3-000-unqualified-teachers-employed-to-plug-gaps-in-schools-1.3294877?mode=amp

Times had a piece today- apparently it's due to career breaks and people fe*king off to Dubai ...not a mention of the pay cuts extra hours casualisation and short hour contracts

I know that the national media are covering it. But that never really brings it home to people or individual TDS. But when local papers cover it as a major issue then they might go back to Dublin and demand action.

That article also only mentions struggles to get substitutes - for career breaks, maternity and sick leave. What about the struggle to get teachers for actual positions that exist? It's not just subs that's an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That article also onky mentions struggles to get substitutes - for career breaks, maternity and sick leave. What about the struggle to get teachers for actual positions that exist? It's not just subs that's an issue.

Exactly. We have unqualified Irish teachers teaching full hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Exactly. We have unqualified Irish teachers teaching full hours

My local ETB are offering RPT positions for re-advertised languages positions - how can they do this? I thought RPT had a November deadline?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

They mustn't have had anybody apply .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    They mustn't have had anybody apply .

I know these positions (not all) are not really RPT - they're maternity leaves with no applicants so they're telling lies advertising RPTs. I suppose that's ETBs for you - have said previously I'm not a fan and things like this put the it in hat on it - some unknown will think they're getting their own hours. I suppose you are being paid until August. Or as an after thought - could they advertise RPTs and because you're employed by an ETB - you could be transferred to another school next year - do your hours stand?

I think DES granted an extension on RPT deadline this year.

Is it not poor journalism that the media- print and broadcast- are not examining this issue more; Part time jobs advertised and the Department saying oh there aren't enough teachers....
    This is a fundamental issue which has been in the post-primary sector for a very long time and no journalist has tackled it properly.

I stand to correction here, but it only lies with reason why people would look to other countries etc to support themselves and have a basic standard of living- ie not live at home, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

userb wrote: »
    Is it not poor journalism that the media- print and broadcast- are not examining this issue more; Part time jobs advertised and the Department saying oh there aren't enough teachers....
    This is a fundamental issue which has been in the post-primary sector for a very long time and no journalist has tackled it properly.

I stand to correction here, but it only lies with reason why people would look to other countries etc to support themselves and have a basic standard of living- ie not live at home, etc...

I agree with this 100 percent. They'll spend huge money now trying to get people into teaching when in reality they need to look at who they have already and why they aren't teaching - crap conditions and dismal pay. Why should they be paid less when they do exactly the same job if not work harder at it because of the lack of security.

Exactly they are missing the point,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'm sorry, but the education sector itself as employers and school managers has to take responsibility for this, not to be pointing at politicians.

Why are career breaks granted if it is causing problems?
    Why are jobs offered as part-time and not full time?

Indeed they should take responsiblity but the government on a greater level can direct how this power is exercised? No? I stand to correction here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

salonfire wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but the education sector itself as employers and school managers has to take responsibility for this, not to be pointing at politicians.

Why are career breaks granted if it is causing problems?
    Why are jobs offered as part-time and not full time?

It has always been hard to fill part-time jobs. Now its impossible to fill some full time roles.

It's very simplistic to say advertise a fulltime job instead of part time. There are only so many full-time jobs you can fill.

There's no denying that the part time issue has added to the problems but it's not the only factor. The pay certainly could be better but, as for conditions, its hardly the coalmines.

Advertisement