Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland or AIB

• 30-10-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hoping I can get some advice. I'm looking at opening a bank account (just a current account) but I'm not sure which bank I should go for. Bank of Ireland and AIB are the ones I've been told to go to in my home town, so it's just a matter of which. I'll mostly use it to pay bills and do online shopping with the debit card.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Can I ask why you have not considered PTSB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Delta2113

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

SillySiddy wrote: »
    Hoping I can get some advice. I'm looking at opening a bank account (just a current account) but I'm not sure which bank I should go for. Bank of Ireland and AIB are the ones I've been told to go to in my home town, so it's just a matter of which. I'll mostly use it to pay bills and do online shopping with the debit card.

The decision is objective, OP. As in, you'll get 5 Individuals who might say go for AIB, and just as you are about to go and open the account, then another 5 will add there a bit and say Bank of Ireland. Shop Around for sure. At the end of the day, 99.999% of all Banks in Ireland will carry out the core of what you need them to do, some, arguably, better than others.

My two cents, having held an account with most of the main banks in Ireland over the years:

I am currently with AIB for my Current, Savings, Credit and Loan Accounts, I find them easy to use, most-responsive from a customer service perspective and forward thinking. As in, they are (usually) the first to come out with the advances in Banking Technologies.

I personally find AIB's Fees & Charges easy to understand and they are charged per quarter, when I was with Bank of Ireland, I found there fee-structure very difficult to comprehend and they were charged at random intervals.

With AIB there are a lot of self-service options, as in, you can do a lot yourself whereas with other banks you have to depend on someone else to do it, in branch or over the phone.

When I recently applied for an Overdraft with AIB, I pressed a few buttons on the Online Banking portal and a few minutes later it was applied to my account with an automated email containing the legal documents for same sent moments later.

When I did the same with Bank of Ireland, it logged a ticket for a call-back, documents were posted out to me and the whole process took weeks to complete.

I think that's a good comparison.

Advertisement