Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pellet room heater

Options
  • 30-10-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

Looking for a wood pellet room heater. Does anyone here have experience, good or bad, with these? I think pellets got bad press because of damp pellets and feeding mechanisms for larger heating systems, but some of these small stoves seem to work well.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I see a delivery lorry from Leinster Pellets Ltd in Bandon recently. They might be worth a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I wanted to get one two years ago. It would not have been the main heating source, so pellet usage would not have been huge. In the end I was not convinced that I could prevent the pellets becoming damp in our Irish climate, and so I reluctantly choose a log burner. Damp pellets are guaranteed to clog the feeder. See if you can find Wood Pellet Stoves by D Jenkins in a local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

A friend of mine in Cork put one in some years ago and finds it very efficient and clean to use. However, keeping the pellets dry has been an issue for him also. Nowadays, he only buys a few small bags at a time which is a bit more expensive than buying in larger lots. It is only used to supplement other heating in his case, but he swears by it.

I'll try and find out a make and model and will post it here if I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    A friend of mine in Cork put one in some years ago and finds it very efficient and clean to use. However, keeping the pellets dry has been an issue for him also. Nowadays, he only buys a few small bags at a time which is a bit more expensive than buying in larger lots. It is only used to supplement other heating in his case, but he swears by it.

I'll try and find out a make and model and will post it here if I get it.
    Thanks. The plan is to buy pellets by the bag locally rather than try to keep tons in a silo. I think storage was the big problem with pellet heating systems, but people seem to swear by these small room heaters

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

is there an insert on the market that we can put in our multifuel, this insert or basket would sit on fire grate and is filled with wood pellets, I think I saw one some where some time back, just wondering if one could purchase one of these and use them now and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks. The plan is to buy pellets by the bag locally rather than try to keep tons in a silo. I think storage was the big problem with pellet heating systems, but people seem to swear by these small room heaters

The one my friend has is a Rika. It's Austrian he thinks. Proper heater cleaning and management of pellets is crucial, he says.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Also beware of noise levels from the mechanisms. As with some fridges. When you are sitting there in the quiet of an evening and the yoke is humming loudly in the corner it can really get to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 brandonw123

We put in a 10kw Extraflame room heating wood pellet stove in 2009 ( just before the big freeze)
    Best thing we ever pug in the house.
    Brilliant heat and we end up leaving all the internal doors open to drive the excess heat throughout the house.
    Ash tray only needs to be emptied once every 2 months as they are about 98% efficient.

Running costs are about 55cent per hour ( we generally use it at the lowest setting)
    We use a lot less oil since we put it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

We put in a 10kw Extraflame room heating wood pellet stove in 2009 ( just before the big freeze)
    Brilliant heat and we end up leaving all the internal doors open to drive the excess heat throughout the house.
    Ash tray only needs to be emptied once every 2 months as they are about 98% efficient.

Running costs are about 55cent per hour ( we generally use it at the lowest setting)
    Exactly the sort of info I wanted. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

That's quite a large stove so.? 10kw.
    Is a outside air supply piped to attached to the stove required to aid burning/efficiency with these models. I know its recommended by some manufacturers.
    Roughly what would a 10kw Extraflame cost.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 brandonw123

The dimensions are approx 600 x 600 x 1500mm (H)
    No dedicated air supply from outside direct to stove.
    Just a room vent from outside to the room the stove is installed.
    Fitted to existing fireplace opening and a flue liner was used ( approx 80mm diameter)

Cost was approx €2800 I think including installation.
    It is heating a large enough area (700 square feet & up to 1000 square feet when door to adjoining room is open)
    In hindsight a 6kw would probably have done the job, but we were limited with height restriction on which stove we could install.
    Overall I am very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Great info. Thanks for that.

Advertisement