Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple issues in rental apartment?

Options
  • 30-10-2017 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I have posted here previously about our rental apartment but things have just gotten worse.

So basically we moved in and when you looked past the surface the place was really dirty, the oven filthy, all the pots and plates, etc left were filthy, counter tops, etc.

We then found black mold all over the window frames and blinds, and then on the mattress (we viewed the apartments in the night time so the curtains were closed and we did not see this).

I hired a cleaner to do a deep clean as soon as we got in and then emailed the letting agency with time stamped pictures of the mold.

The letting agent was extremely helpful and said they would cover the cost of the cleaner and a new mattress. She mentioned that the last tenants said the oven was "slower than before" when they left and asked if when the oven was clean i could check this out.

So today I went to cook a roast dinner and found the fan oven to not be working at all, it's getting to lukewarm but no further.

At this stage I'm extremely fed up but the letting agent is very nice and I don't want to create any bad blood. I really don't know what my options are here, as I want to express my feelings but don't want any tension. I guess I'm just looking for advice and opinions, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The letting agent already suspects a problem with the oven. Ring first thing in the morning & tell them it's not working & they need to send someone to look at it with a view to either repairing it or replacing it if that's not possible.
    Be polite but firm. You're paying rent & you're entitled to not have the place covered in mould, with a broken oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

This isn't a big problem, like you said the letting agent is helpful. Let then know the problems, don't be demanding ask them to come by and have a look, suggest they let them selves in. If a new oven is needed you can get one for 200 ish. The other ones is old and probably written off against tax. The agent will probably have somebody who can install it, or pick one from this crowd and they will install it (probably for a small fee)

https://www.appliancesdelivered.ie/search/cooking/ovens?sort=price_asc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

At this stage I'm extremely fed up but the letting agent is very nice and I don't want to create any bad blood. I really don't know what my options are here, as I want to express my feelings but don't want any tension. I guess I'm just looking for advice and opinions, thanks.

They are professionals, and they have a job to do. Let them know about it, and get it sorted. You are paying for this, don't forget. If you paid for a meal in a restaurant and it came out frozen, what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

This isn't a big problem, like you said the letting agent is helpful. Let then know the problems, don't be demanding ask them to come by and have a look, suggest they let them selves in. If a new oven is needed you can get one for 200 ish. The other ones is old and probably written off against tax. The agent will probably have somebody who can install it, or pick one from this crowd and they will install it (probably for a small fee)

https://www.appliancesdelivered.ie/search/cooking/ovens?sort=price_asc

Are you suggesting the op replaces the oven?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I don't think you're doing too badly to be honest OP. Okay, there were problems when you first moved in but they've paid for a cleaner and a new mattress and I'm sure they'll fix the oven too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Browney7 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting the op replaces the oven?

No just that it is easy to arrange and not that expensive, if they call the agent they will probably do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No just that it is easy to arrange and not that expensive, if they call the agent they will probably do it.

The agent will have to do this. Oven must be provided and working. It sounds like the agent in this case is grand, just let them know and that you'll need it asap. Can't see there being an issue given the response already.

OP, I had a similar issue with a fridge when renting. Told the agent and a day later there was a technician out to look at it, and a day after that a man arrived with a new fridge. It will probably go the same way in your case.

Advertisement