Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is a limited business?

Options
  • 30-10-2017 10:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭

I was always under the impression (mistakenly) that a Ltd. company had limited liability in the case of bankruptcy, but in return for this privilege they weren't allowed to seek money or funding from selling shares (don't ask me where I drew that ridiculous conclusion. I always though that "small businesses" were Ltd.

My dad is self employed as a plumber and his business is called Smith Ltd, (not real name) he obviously doesn't have shareholders, but I was shocked to see that Ryanair is a Ltd. company but you can buy shares in them.

Are there any advantages to being limited and what are the disadvantages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I was always under the impression (mistakenly) that a Ltd. company had limited liability in the case of bankruptcy, but in return for this privilege they weren't allowed to seek money or funding from selling shares (don't ask me where I drew that ridiculous conclusion. I always though that "small businesses" were Ltd.

My dad is self employed as a plumber and his business is called Smith Ltd, (not real name) he obviously doesn't have shareholders, but I was shocked to see that Ryanair is a Ltd. company but you can buy shares in them.

Are there any advantages to being limited and what are the disadvantages?

If your father has a Ltd company he has sought money from selling shares to the owner of the company ie himself. A limited company is legally separate from its owner.

Ryanair is not a Ltd but rather a plc which is like a Ltd company that is allowed to have as many shareholders as wants to buy. There is a shareholder limit on a Ltd company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

If your father has a Ltd company he has sought money from selling shares to the owner of the company ie himself. A limited company is legally separate from its owner.

Ryanair is not a Ltd but rather a plc which is like a Ltd company that is allowed to have as many shareholders as wants to buy. There is a shareholder limit on a Ltd company.

But according to wiki Ryanair is LTD.

Does more people buying into Ryanair not "water down" the value of the share?

If I even buy one share in Ryanair does that mean that I own a tiny percent of the airline? If Ryanair has no cap on the number of shares I can buy does that mean someone with enormous capital can buy so many shares that they will own more of Ryanair that O'Leary and the Ryan heirs themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

If I even buy one share in Ryanair does that mean that I own a tiny percent of the airline? If Ryanair has no cap on the number of shares I can buy does that mean someone with enormous capital can buy so many shares that they will own more of Ryanair that O'Leary and the Ryan heirs themselves?

Why look at wiki where anyone can edit and not look at the Ryanair website?

It’s a Designated Activity Company d.a.c.

The company decides how many shares are available. These are usually traded on the stock market.

If they want more money they can issue new shares.

The trading company for Ryanair is Ryanair dac(formerly Ryanair ltd) but the company on the stock market that owns Ryanair dac is Ryanair holdings plc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

The company decides how many shares are available. These are usually traded on the stock market.

If they want more money they can issue new shares.

The trading company for Ryanair is Ryanair dac(formerly Ryanair ltd) but the company on the stock market that owns Ryanair dac is Ryanair holdings plc.

So if they wanted more money and sold more shares would that result in a fall or increase in share price?

Why did BOI go from ca. €18 a share to ca. 18c?

• Advertisement

So if they wanted more money and sold more shares would that result in a fall or increase in share price?

Usually there would be a fall. Sometimes the value would rise.

Usually the share price of the company multiplied by the numbers of shares in issue (market cap) is worth more than the book value of all the assets. If you spread the intangible premium over a larger number of shaes the share price will fall. If the market believes that the extra cash wil allownincreased profitability the share price miht rise.
    Why did BOI go from ca. €18 a share to ca. 18c?

Because the financial crisis happened and the market felt that the many of the assets of the bank (ie the loans primarily morgages) issued to customers were worthless as they were secured by assets which if realised would be unable to cover the debts.

Advertisement