Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

dolly16 wrote: »
    Have any of you got the flu vaccine? I don't usually get it but hearing a lot about the flu in the news lately so not sure to get it or am I too early? Almost 12 weeks.

I had never got the flu vaccine before, but the hospital advised me at my booking appointment to get it. I was 11 weeks at that point and they we're happy for it to be done then (and my GP did it later that day). That was 3 wks ago.

So far everyone around me is shivering and coughing with whatever is going around. I haven't caught it yet... Not counting my chickens yet though.

Edit: HSE website says the flu vaccine is safe in any trimester, and suggests the whooping cough vaccine from 16wks onwards..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 FebBaby

dolly16 wrote: »
    Have any of you got the flu vaccine? I don't usually get it but hearing a lot about the flu in the news lately so not sure to get it or am I too early? Almost 12 weeks.

I had never got the flu vaccine before, but the hospital advised me at my booking appointment to get it. I was 11 weeks at that point and they we're happy for it to be done then (and my GP did it later that day). That was 3 wks ago.

So far everyone around me is shivering and coughing with whatever is going around. I haven't caught it yet... Not counting my chickens yet though.

Edit: HSE website says the flu vaccine is safe in any trimester, and suggests the whooping cough vaccine from 16wks onwards..

Great thanks NotTotallySure, will enquire at my apt this wk if all goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Your gp can prescribe zantac or I think it can be bought over the counter in a less strong dose. It's amazing for heartburn.

I am in my maternity clothes and loving it. Everyone at work knows now so I'm fat and comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Kaylami wrote: »
    Your gp can prescribe zantac or I think it can be bought over the counter in a less strong dose. It's amazing for heartburn.

I am in my maternity clothes and loving it. Everyone at work knows now so I'm fat and comfortable.

Thanks for that, I may have to get a prescription for that so...its nearly making me sick sometimes it's that bad and it's coming between me and my (little bit of!!) Sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Got the flu vaccine today in boots as couldn't get to my gp for few days. Bit freaked by all the flu warnings so wish I'd gotten it sooner to be honest. It's fine to get at any stage of pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

There are, however, no adequate and well controlled studies in pregnant women.

Flu Insert

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM263239.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

gar32 wrote: »
    There are, however, no adequate and well controlled studies in pregnant women.

Flu Insert

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM263239.pdf

There have also been no adverse reactions and should be taken if in at risk group under the advice of your doctor. Doctor that is - not antivax clowns who like to spread fear and doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Screamersul

Hi all. Just wondered has anyone had their booking appt with Holles st in the evening recently? My appt is next week at 5pm and desperately wondering if I'll get a mini scan? Have read mixed reports. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Gee-g gaviscon was my lifesaver last time round. I literally drank from the bottle. I'm only 11 weeks so not in maternity gear yet but definitely a bit more bloated than normal. Back to work next week and can't wait to just tell them. Have my 12 week scan Monday. Just hoping all still ok.
    I'm struggling with the tiredness the last few days. My little guy is flying it with crawling standing and falling so it's been tough.

Hi all. Just wondered has anyone had their booking appt with Holles st in the evening recently? My appt is next week at 5pm and desperately wondering if I'll get a mini scan? Have read mixed reports. Thanks.
    If you're in the hospital for appointments they usually do a scan. I got one at every appointment. That was public anyway. 5pm appointment is unusual. Are you semi private / private?

• Advertisement

dreamstar wrote: »
    If you're in the hospital for appointments they usually do a scan. I got one at every appointment. That was public anyway. 5pm appointment is unusual. Are you semi private / private?

I'm public. I thought it unusual too but I explained I couldn't miss work so they offered me 1pm or 5pm!! It is in the hospital.

I'm public. I thought it unusual too but I explained I couldn't miss work so they offered me 1pm or 5pm!! It is in the hospital.

I had a very quick scan at my recent (public) booking appt in Holles St. They didn't do any measurements, just checked there was a heartbeat and no visible issues. Took less than a minute.

dreamstar wrote: »

Oh that's great. It should be pretty quiet at that time too so hopefully you'll be in and out. But they'll definitely do a scan. Now their scan machines aren't as good as the ones in ultrasound but they can tell if all is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Kaylami

I have mine Tuesday at 5pm. Never had a evening one before. Probably won't get a mini scan thought unless your private or semi private.

I have mine Tuesday at 5pm. Never had a evening one before. Probably won't get a mini scan thought unless your private or semi private.

I had a mini scan in 2013 but was a morn appt. How can they determine if it's a viable pregnancy without doing a scan? They would just let you keep going til the 20 week one? Seems a long time. Suppose we will just have to wait and see. I will try and ask for a quick one if it's not offered!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I had a mini scan in 2013 but was a morn appt. How can they determine if it's a viable pregnancy without doing a scan? They would just let you keep going til the 20 week one? Seems a long time. Suppose we will just have to wait and see. I will try and ask for a quick one if it's not offered!!

In the midwives clinic in Bray (and in between with my gp) they use the Doppler to hear the heartbeat. That’s it apart from the 20 week scan in Holles St

Was public last time in holles st and had a mini scan at every visit. Had one on booking appointment this time too including measurements to date the pregnancy. Also got pictures. Public again this time too. I'm sure the evening clinics are the same.

Yeah I'd be very surprised if you don't get a scan. Sure they'd have to check for heartbeat and think it's too early for Doppler.

Ended up getting a mini scan on a very basic machine in Bray this morning as they couldn’t hear the heartbeat on the Doppler. Alls good, baby is the right size and could see the heartbeat! I went there all through my last pregnancy and didn’t know they had a scan in the place!

That's a bonus then if you weren't expecting it! Congrats, great to get the booking appointment done and know all is well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

My wife is in Holles Street. She is public and was scanned at the first appointment. That scan was inconclusive so she was moved to the fetal assessment unit for a more details scan an examination.

You will get scanned.

So I rang the booking line to "confirm" my appt and asked about a mini scan at 5pm booking appt and she was quite sure there would be no scan as it is actually a midwives clinic in the evening. Only consultants can do the scans and they are only on in the morning clinic. I have now booked a private one for Saturday as peace of mind and sonic can tell people when I go back to work on Monday.
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. I will let you know what happens at the evening appt anyway for future queries. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 27 smr85

Finally feeling confident enough to join this thread after a few hairy weeks of bleeding and spotting. Have had 2 scans in the EPU and all seems to be progressing as it should now and am measuring bang on for my dates.

Just wondering how long it took people to get their booking appointment/dating scan in the CUMH. I'm currently 10+2 and have heard nothing, other than my EPU correspondence which I have now been discharged from based on my scan last week. I have a feeling they've forgotten about me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

smr85 wrote: »
    Finally feeling confident enough to join this thread after a few hairy weeks of bleeding and spotting. Have had 2 scans in the EPU and all seems to be progressing as it should now and am measuring bang on for my dates.

Just wondering how long it took people to get their booking appointment/dating scan in the CUMH. I'm currently 10+2 and have heard nothing, other than my EPU correspondence which I have now been discharged from based on my scan last week. I have a feeling they've forgotten about me!

I’d ring them. I went to my GP at about 7 weeks and she sent the forms in. I got my appointment dates about a week or week and a half later.

Just got offered a seat on the train! Anyone telling me I don’t look pregnant is obviously lying! Right now I’m delighted! It’s amazing how so many people just don’t notice on public transport so it’s such a relief when they do!

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Just got offered a seat on the train! Anyone telling me I don’t look pregnant is obviously lying! Right now I’m delighted! It’s amazing how so many people just don’t notice on public transport so it’s such a relief when they do!

Lol, a mixed blessing .

I had to wait 30mins in the cold to get a bus. I was first at the stop, one other person then arrived 10 mins later. When the bus arrived full and allowing "one person only folks!" she elbowed me aside and got onboard. 20 mins til the next bus .

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Hi all, just wondering if you have all had flu vaccines? I went to go for it in oct n she said I couldn't get it till 20 weeks and then past week consultant said I should have it. Apparently need to be in best health to ge5 it and I'm currently stuffed with sinuses

Yep got it at 14 weeks, you do not have to wait until 20, can be anytime during pregnancy. Was told once didn't have a temperature or infection it was fine to get it. I had a bit of a sore throat when got it and no issues.

You can get flu vaccine at any stage in pregnancy. I'm getting mine next week at 12 weeks. Just wanted to wait until after my scan.

• Advertisement

Lol, a mixed blessing .

I had to wait 30mins in the cold to get a bus. I was first at the stop, one other person then arrived 10 mins later. When the bus arrived full and allowing "one person only folks!" she elbowed me aside and got onboard. 20 mins til the next bus .

Ohhhh I’d have been fit to kill someone!!! That’s so annoying and rude!

Advertisement