Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Do you find the idea of the scan nerve-wracking?
    My big scan is this week, looking forward to it and getting nervous all at once.

I’m the same, can’t wait but hope all is ok!!! I’m not getting much movement yet which isn’t helping!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

Hi all, I haven't posted in a while. I'm 20 weeks this week and have big scan on Friday. Like everyone else I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Not feeling much movement yet either!!
    I have been feeling down a lot lately and feeling like i want to be on my own and very teary. Has anyone else been feeling like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

Same here so looking forward to the big scan but also a bit afraid of it. The fear of finding out something really bad is always at the back of my mind. How would we take the news, how would we cope etc. I always remember the year before we had our first another another family member was going in for the big scan and was absolutely bricking it. We thought she was losing it and couldn't understand the drama. A year later we were the exact same ourselves nervous wrecks going in to it. Trying to keep those thoughts away and keep positive and make it an enjoyable day. Will head off after and buy our first outfit for the newbaba after the scan and then the fun begins.

Think I'm starting to feel the odd bit of movement which is reassuring.

It’s funny, I was so much more relaxed first time round. Had a very straight forward first pregnancy (apart from horrible morning sickness but thats not unusual) and while I had to be induced for labour, it all went grand. So I should have no reason to worry based on past experiences but I’m just so much more nervous this time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Boop22 wrote: »
    Hi all, I haven't posted in a while. I'm 20 weeks this week and have big scan on Friday. Like everyone else I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Not feeling much movement yet either!!
    I have been feeling down a lot lately and feeling like i want to be on my own and very teary. Has anyone else been feeling like this?

It’s not very well known but some women do get prenatal depression. You should talk to your GP or midwife about how you are feeling. In pregnancy your hormones are all over the place which can cause all sorts of mood changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

Boop22 wrote: »

I'm nervous of the scan. I was so relieved when I got the results of the harmony Test back a while ago but now I'm worried about what still might show up, or we'll be the ones who are the percentage of low risk who do have issues.

Best to try not stress too much. Will be lovely to see the two of them on the scan again <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Good luck with your scans guys. Mine feels like ages away. Not till 13 March! I'm feeling movement already though which is so lovely. I try not to worry about scans too much but when I'm in the waiting room I'll be super nervous. And those few seconds of silence when they're trying to get good images is awful!
    Boop I'm so sorry you are feeling down. It's a tough time being pregnant. I would agree that your GP may be able to help. And please talk to family and friends about how you're feeling. And your partner too!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 missy_t

Got my big scan last week at 19 weeks. Went private. Was unbelievably nervous but all is perfect thankfully. So relieved.

I've felt no movement at all and have no bump to speak of so was very worried!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Had my big scan this morning in holles street. Was called in 10 min early and all done and dusted in around 15 min! Went so quickly! Was v nervous but went well and we even saw the little one yawning. Placenta is slightly low lying so booked back in for 34 week scan. Otherwise all measuring normal and she was happy with everything.
    Think it's totally normal to be nervous! Relaxed pretty quickly as we had a lovely lady who was very reassuring throughout. Got some nice pics too!

Had my big scan this morning in holles street. Was called in 10 min early and all done and dusted in around 15 min! Went so quickly! Was v nervous but went well and we even saw the little one yawning. Placenta is slightly low lying so booked back in for 34 week scan. Otherwise all measuring normal and she was happy with everything.
    Think it's totally normal to be nervous! Relaxed pretty quickly as we had a lovely lady who was very reassuring throughout. Got some nice pics too!

• Advertisement

annoyedgal wrote: »

Must remember to turn up early so!!! Mines at 12.20 which is a bit awkward but will just have to leave work in plenty time to get over and have a nice long lunch before going back!!! Can’t wait for the pics!

Cakerbaker wrote: »

Must remember to turn up early so!!! Mines at 12.20 which is a bit awkward but will just have to leave work in plenty time to get over and have a nice long lunch before going back!!! Can’t wait for the pics!
    They did tell me to be sure I'm on time for this one as they are usually on time. Unlike any other one I've had there.

I'll definitely aim to be early for the scan appt then! Good to know.
    How long are the appts usually? I was just told we we're booked into a double slot.

Think we were in and out in 20 min or so but think it depends on how long it takes to get the measurements. Baby was obliging today!

missy_t wrote: »
    I've felt no movement at all and have no bump to speak of so was very worried!!

I know it must be worrying in some ways to have no bump so I'm happy to hear the scan was reassuring.

I'm like a turtle here if I accidentally end up on my back...

I'll definitely aim to be early for the scan appt then! Good to know.
    How long are the appts usually? I was just told we we're booked into a double slot.
    Yeah usually 20 mins. Longer than other scans and that's why they like them to run on time. Theyre amazing. I remember on my last we could see the different chambers of the heart working and everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

When you are all talking about "big scans " do you mean anomaly scan? I'm getting mine on March 1st...seems like so long to wait!!

Hi Gee-G, yep I'm talking about the anomaly/anatomy scan.

Yeah GeeG. It's normally done around 20 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Thanks Ladies, I will be 22 weeks having mine. Can't wait for it come already just to check in 😊

Feeling very uncomfortable here already, like a turtle stuck on it's back uncomfortable! Buy thankfully the tiredness, nausea etc is gone.

Has anybody started to buy stuff yet? This is our 2nd but we still have lots to buy. Going to start picking some bits up in a few weeks

• Advertisement

Lol Gee-G, I'm another turtle here. Sorry to hear you are in the same position but I'm kinda glad to not be the only one like this at 20weeks.

We have nothing bought. Still too afraid to until after the scan this week. Also I'm too exhausted to do anymore than browse online, but I have an idea of a few things I want from secondhand sites and Facebook group's.

We’ve nothing bought and have nothing much to get really. I want to get a decent breast pump this time as I figure I’ll need to be able to leave baby with daddy now and again to spend some quality one on one time with my toddler. Plus I’m thinking of trying to donate this time and really can’t manage that with the manual one I have!

Other than that I just need coming home from hospital outfits (girls and boys) and basics like nappies etc but I’ll get them closer to the time. Oh and a new mattress for the crib. If we’ve a boy I literally won’t need to buy a thing!

Also not sure about the buggy yet. I’ll either need to buy the rumble seat to convert it to a double or a buggy board. Will see closer to the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I found the second child the cheapest.The third is way, WAY more expensive, it's necessitating a new car, an extension, an attic conversion......!!!!!!(well ok those last two are coincidental). :-)

shesty wrote: »
    I found the second child the cheapest.The third is way, WAY more expensive, it's necessitating a new car, an extension, an attic conversion......!!!!!!(well ok those last two are coincidental). :-)

Oh ya I forgot about our plans for an extension to make space for a playroom as well as the new kitchen ...... cos we’ll need a tumble dryer and bigger freezer with 2.... or so I keep telling myself!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes a tumble dryer is a necessity!!!!
    Not sure on the freezer, I've dithered over that a lot :-)

shesty wrote: »
    Yes a tumble dryer is a necessity!!!!
    Not sure on the freezer, I've dithered over that a lot :-)

I try to batch cook at weekends to save time after work in the evenings. I just don’t have enough space in the freezer part of the combi fridge freezer!

I could have written this post cakerbaker ! Also wondering about buggy board or rumble seat and if it's a boy all I'll need is a new breast pump. Had an old school hospital pump that did the rounds and has given up the ghost. Anyone have any recommendations for an electric pump that doesn't cost the earth?

We’ve nothing bought and have nothing much to get really. I want to get a decent breast pump this time as I figure I’ll need to be able to leave baby with daddy now and again to spend some quality one on one time with my toddler. Plus I’m thinking of trying to donate this time and really can’t manage that with the manual one I have!

Other than that I just need coming home from hospital outfits (girls and boys) and basics like nappies etc but I’ll get them closer to the time. Oh and a new mattress for the crib. If we’ve a boy I literally won’t need to buy a thing!

Also not sure about the buggy yet. I’ll either need to buy the rumble seat to convert it to a double or a buggy board. Will see closer to the time.

I could have written this post cakerbaker ! Also wondering about buggy board or rumble seat and if it's a boy all I'll need is a new breast pump. Had an old school hospital pump that did the rounds and has given up the ghost. Anyone have any recommendations for an electric pump that doesn't cost the earth?

I’m looking at either the spectra or the ardo calypso as they’re closed systems so can be used for more than one baby / be sold / passed on. A lot of the more common ones are open systems so the milk can get into the workings of the machine and eventually cause mould so they’re only supposed to be used for one baby. I must start keeping an eye on boots/ argos/ Amazon in the hopes I see one on sale!!!

I used the tommee tippee closer to nature electric breastpump last time. I picked it up at the RDS baby fair. They had fantastic deals on their packages so I would recommend going. Also really great deals on the likes of breast pads and bibs etc. I found it fantastic. It can be plugged in or battery operated and all of the tommee tippee bottles connect right on. You also get a microwave steralising box with it. Also it is a closed system so can be used on more than one baby.

BUT the best thing I EVER invested in was the hakkaa silicone breast 'pump'. You attach it to one boob while baby feeds on the other. It collects the let down. I would get 4/5 oz at a time with no work involved. AND it cost a tenner!

The madela and Ardo calypso seem to be the best in pumps but I thought they were very expensive. If I were to exclusively pump or do a lot of pumping I would invest but the last time I just found pumping too time consuming and annoying. Far easier to pop them on the boob!

• Advertisement

This is my dilemma. I'm going to need a double buggy and it's all just so confusing. The out n about seems to be highly recommended but I'm not sure how I'll manage fitting it in the front door! :D
    Plus double buggies are expensive! Thank god I don't need to buy too much this time. Buggy and cot I think is all I need.
    Well plus clothes, nappies, wipes etc.

Advertisement