Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

[quote="dreamstar;106144759"

BUT the best thing I EVER invested in was the hakkaa silicone breast 'pump'. You attach it to one boob while baby feeds on the other. It collects the let down. I would get 4/5 oz at a time with no work involved. AND it cost a tenner!
    [/quote]

I have that but wouldn’t get much with it at all. Maybe 1 oz if I was lucky. Still used it and built up a freezer supply gradually but just didn’t seem to have the same success with it that others do!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Cakerbaker, check out donedeal for double buggies-we got ours there practically brand new.
    21 months between ours, just the buggy board would not have worked.We did get one, but we use both the double buggy and the board.Also handy to be able to eh...tie no.1 down, so to speak, if you have to go to a shop or anything.
    I want one of the Hakaa pumps this time too, not sure about any other pump though.No time for pumping when no.2 arrived, so I'd say this time will be the same.But I had a lot of wasted milk from leaking and I want to be able to gather that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Interested to see all the helpful info on pumps. That's the only thing I want to buy. My sisters in law and friends are supplying everything else to us secondhand which we're delighted with.

Off work today. Had some spotting yesterday and rang the midwife in the Coombe who said to come right in. My blood type is O rhesus negative so any spotting requires an injection of Anti-D. Anyone else have this?

Was there for five hours - bloods, urine, blood pressure, temperature, internal exam and finally, scan revealed all is okay thank God. No obvious reason for the spotting. Finally received my injection and left at 5:30 pm with instructions for a day off today.

Feeling very tired and crampy today but relieved that all is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Interested to see all the helpful info on pumps. That's the only thing I want to buy. My sisters in law and friends are supplying everything else to us secondhand which we're delighted with.

Off work today. Had some spotting yesterday and rang the midwife in the Coombe who said to come right in. My blood type is O rhesus negative so any spotting requires an injection of Anti-D. Anyone else have this?

Was there for five hours - bloods, urine, blood pressure, temperature, internal exam and finally, scan revealed all is okay thank God. No obvious reason for the spotting. Finally received my injection and left at 5:30 pm with instructions for a day off today.

Feeling very tired and crampy today but relieved that all is ok.

Oh mystery egg that must have been so scary but so delighted all is ok. A few of my friends had spotting on and off during pregnancy and all was fine. It's still a shock to see though I imagine.
    Make the most of the day off and rest up. XxX

shesty wrote: »
    I want one of the Hakaa pumps this time too, not sure about any other pump though.No time for pumping when no.2 arrived, so I'd say this time will be the same.But I had a lot of wasted milk from leaking and I want to be able to gather that.

That's what I loved about the Hakkaa. You don't need to make pumping time. You can do it while baby feeds. Was a lifesaver for me.
    Now if you speak to breastfeeders they tell you that the milk you collect in the hakkaa is foremilk which is more watery than hind milk. It's baby sucking that gets the hind milk. So if they were to have too much foremilk they may not be as satisfied. But to use as a frozen stock it was fantastic. And as I said it was a tenner. I ordered one on inhealth.ie.

• Advertisement

Oh sorry - I just checked online and the Haakaa is 19.99. And you can buy a stopper for it also. This is handy as I did spill some once or twice. They say don't cry over spilled milk but breastmilk is different! Hated wasting it!:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yes and I always leaked a LOT when she fed on one side, I ended up soaked at every feed.I will take what I can get from it regardless.Also want to try it at night because she often fed on one side for ten mins then fell asleep and the other side would be bursting.I tried pumping the odd time to relieve it and never got anything much out, even though milk was leaking out when I lay down after.So would be useful for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

Quick question for anyone who has had the 20wk anomaly scan - do u need to drink a lot of water beforehand?

I know for earlier scans u needed a full bladder so they could get a good image. But now that I'm actually quite big...does that still apply?

Too tired to spend ages Googling, it's been a stressful evening and I'm about to fall into bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Quick question for anyone who has had the 20wk anomaly scan - do u need to drink a lot of water beforehand?

I know for earlier scans u needed a full bladder so they could get a good image. But now that I'm actually quite big...does that still apply?

Too tired to spend ages Googling, it's been a stressful evening and I'm about to fall into bed.

I was told to have a full bladder ... and was then kept waiting for over an hour. Almost wet myself while waiting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

No full bladder needed in holles street. Made that mistake last time! Was more comfortable this time !!

• Advertisement

Thanks Bee06 and Annoyedgal. Didn't want to be any more uncomfortable than I already am! Holles St tmrw

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Toyotababy98

My hospital says drink 500ml of water half hour before the scan. That's what my letter from wexford says.

Btw 1st time mom to be. Due july 20th and am loving reading all d tips on stuff to get from all you ladies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dreamstar wrote: »
    This is my dilemma. I'm going to need a double buggy and it's all just so confusing. The out n about seems to be highly recommended but I'm not sure how I'll manage fitting it in the front door! :D
    Plus double buggies are expensive! Thank god I don't need to buy too much this time. Buggy and cot I think is all I need.
    Well plus clothes, nappies, wipes etc.

In from February thread! We have the Out n About Nipper double - it fits through any door that a wheelchair can get through, it's 72cm wide. We have a 22 month gap between ours and it's fine for toddler and newborn.

In terms of pumps - I got the Ameda Lactaline double electric. Finding it good so far.

I actually hadn't drank enough water the last time so she said the pic wouldn't be as clear so I did ask about the 20 week scan. She said don't be uncomfortable but drink as normal and don't go to the loo just before the scan. So I'd say try get the happy comfortable medium.

In from February thread! We have the Out n About Nipper double - it fits through any door that a wheelchair can get through, it's 72cm wide. We have a 22 month gap between ours and it's fine for toddler and newborn.

In terms of pumps - I got the Ameda Lactaline double electric. Finding it good so far.

Thanks so much for this! The Out n About seems to be the most recommended. And it' not too expensive. Did you get the carrycot part for the baby or did you even need it?
    My friend actually has one so she's going to bring it up and I'll see how it fits in my front door and in the boot.:D

Thanks so much for this! The Out n About seems to be the most recommended. And it' not too expensive. Did you get the carrycot part for the baby or did you even need it?
    My friend actually has one so she's going to bring it up and I'll see how it fits in my front door and in the boot.:D

I was going to recommend the boot test! I tried my friends in my boot when we were purchasing last time and I had to take the front wheel off for it to fit. Decided I didn’t want to be doing that every time we were heading out. And sure then I went off and bought a travel system where I have to attach the seat to the frame after taking it out of the boot. Have to wonder at my logic sometimes!!!

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I was going to recommend the boot test! I tried my friends in my boot when we were purchasing last time and I had to take the front wheel off for it to fit. Decided I didn’t want to be doing that every time we were heading out. And sure then I went off and bought a travel system where I have to attach the seat to the frame after taking it out of the boot. Have to wonder at my logic sometimes!!!

Yeah it was only my friend suggested it that I even thought about the boot. And then I was at a new parent event in Mothercare and they said they have no problem with customers taking them out to the boot to test them. Good to know as I never would have thought of it.

Yeah it was only my friend suggested it that I even thought about the boot. And then I was at a new parent event in Mothercare and they said they have no problem with customers taking them out to the boot to test them. Good to know as I never would have thought of it.

When we bought our travel system we went to Tony Kielys. Spent 15 mins bringing different ones in and out to the car to try in the boot!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

We have our travel system from my first, it's the baby elegance neyo. Takes up most of the boot which is a right pain but the price we paid for it at the time I couldnt justify buying a new one!! It'll be a right squeeze for shopping trips with too car seats in the car then too haha.

Had a gynae appointment yesterday, all good thankfully. Got a quick scan and first time hearing the heartbeat. Back for the anomaly scan in two weeks.

I'm so unorganized. I literally have 2 outfits and a changing mat but I'm reluctant to buy until after the anatomy scan at 23 weeks...

Is the anatomy and anomaly the same thing or do i need to book in for an anomaly scan private? This is all new to Me!

• Advertisement

I'm so unorganized. I literally have 2 outfits and a changing mat but I'm reluctant to buy until after the anatomy scan at 23 weeks...

Is the anatomy and anomaly the same thing or do i need to book in for an anomaly scan private? This is all new to Me!

They’re the same. I think it used to be called the anomaly scan but they changed the name to anatomy as it’s a bit less of a negative term!

Yes they are the same thing - don't worry. :) People just call them different things.
    And you are not unorganised. On my first I was reluctant to do anything too early. I think I was in my last trimester by the time I started getting organised. :D:D

Thanks ladies :) trying to save to buy things at the moment because sperm donor is a useless waste!

I'm 20wks and I have nothing at all. Excepts lots of scan pics of the babies and a big bump of course.

Anomaly/anatony scan went well today - all looks good for heart/brain/spine/etc. Plenty of wriggling going on even though I don't think I can feel any of it . Back in 4wks to check a growth scan. Two normal full size baby girls so far (no wonder I can't breathe properly, lol)

I'm 20wks and I have nothing at all. Excepts lots of scan pics of the babies and a big bump of course.

Anomaly/anatony scan went well today - all looks good for heart/brain/spine/etc. Plenty of wriggling going on even though I don't think I can feel any of it . Back in 4wks to check a growth scan. Two normal full size baby girls so far (no wonder I can't breathe properly, lol)

Awwww that's fantastic news!!!! Two girls?! Exciting!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

They use the term anatomy scan in the Coombe - because that is what it is! And I much prefer it. :)

Thanks Dreamstar. We found out the sex (by DNA) before Christmas as part of the Harmony test so we didn't have the "big reveal" moment today. But I was so nervous about the growth size and anything else they might tell us. So crazy to see a whole spine (or two) lit up on the big screen

They use the term anatomy scan in the Coombe - because that is what it is! And I much prefer it. :)

I much prefer that term too . More positive, and also perfectly accurate

I can't wait until my anatomy scan... 5 more weeks... feels like an eternity since my early scan..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

its good to see that everyone is doing so well. We had a private scan last week to find out the gender, so happy out our little boy is due on July 10th! have the anatomy scan in 3 weeks.... hoping all goes well will start looking at what I need to buy, I am actually ignoring it on purpose until I need to! we did however put a deposit on a travel system after our reveal... we went to Tony Kielys... I never knew there was so much involved in a buggy ha!! Went with the Uppababy.. I just liked the look of it to be honest :)

Roll on the Anatomy scan and the next shopping spree :)

Advertisement