Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

I feel like I'm single handedly keeping the moisturiser industry going lately .
    Between hoping to avoid stretch marks and my skin just being incredibly dry, I've gone through several bottles since Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

I feel like I'm single handedly keeping the moisturiser industry going lately .
    Between hoping to avoid stretch marks and my skin just being incredibly dry, I've gone through several bottles since Christmas

Its unreal i just cant keep my skin moisturised. Not sure if its pregnancy or just the cold weather. Have you tried the bio oil for your bump - its always good value in Penneys and worked a treat for me last time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Just back from my anatomy scan. Alls good thank god. 19 weeks and counting!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Just back from my anatomy scan. Alls good thank god. 19 weeks and counting!!!

Glad to hear it Cakerbaker! Must be a big relief for you.
    Mine is scheduled for Thursday morning but if this "beast from the east" hits as hard as it's supposed to I can't see us making it! Fingers crossed

Gee_G wrote: »
    Glad to hear it Cakerbaker! Must be a big relief for you.
    Mine is scheduled for Thursday morning but if this "beast from the east" hits as hard as it's supposed to I can't see us making it! Fingers crossed

As my husband said when we got out “I wasn’t worried but now I’m relieved!”. Oh it’d be a pity if you couldn’t make it though better safe than sorry if things are going to be as bad as they say. Do you’ve far to travel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Oh great news cakerbaker! I'm 19 weeks today but my scan isn't till 21 weeks. Waiting not so patiently!

As my husband said when we got out “I wasn’t worried but now I’m relieved!”. Oh it’d be a pity if you couldn’t make it though better safe than sorry if things are going to be as bad as they say. Do you’ve far to travel?

I have about 20k to drive but awful roads!!
    I'm not worried as such but it is always in the back of my mind since I knew the date. Hopefully we can make it, for some reassurance.

This thread is gone very quiet!!

How is everybody doing? Almost 23 weeks here. Have my big scan next week as it was postponed because of the snow last week. Will be glad to get that done, it's playing on my mind a lot.
    And will hopefully go and pick up a few baby bits then afterwards.

Hey Gee G,
    I will be 21 weeks on Monday. Have my big scan on Tuesday and like you I am slightly nervous but excited about it at the same time. I have been putting off buying anything or sorting anything until after this.
    But I'm feeling good thank god. Got loads of rest during the snow days because I was a bit house bound with my little guy. Couldn't get a pram out and he can't walk yet so just took things handy at home. But he turned 1 the other week. It's like he grew up over night.

My sister in law had a baby last week and we visited him the other day. OMG it was SOOOO lovely holding a newborn again! Makes me so excited for those early days that just turn into a blur of naps and cuddles.

I haven't had any hospital appointments since before Christmas so I kind of feel like everything is a bit surreal at the minute. Although I'm feeling plenty of movement and my GP was able to hear heartbeat with Doppler so that was nice.

Hi. Sitting here like a zombie! My 2 year old woke up crying in the middle of the night so we brought him into bed. He spent the next few hours kicking me before waking up properly for the day at 6am...... Peppa (I hate her) is now on the iPad!!!

I’m feeling fine. Not quite as exhausted as I have been for the last while. Started pregnancy Pilates and yoga this week. I really need to do something to improve my fitness / flexibility.

• Advertisement

Hi. Sitting here like a zombie! My 2 year old woke up crying in the middle of the night so we brought him into bed. He spent the next few hours kicking me before waking up properly for the day at 6am...... Peppa (I hate her) is now on the iPad!!!

I’m feeling fine. Not quite as exhausted as I have been for the last while. Started pregnancy Pilates and yoga this week. I really need to do something to improve my fitness / flexibility.

Oh man those nights are hard. We went through a phase where for about 2/3 weeks our guy would wake up screaming and upset almost every night. Sometimes twice a night. I always brought him into the bed and I can only imagine the kicks you would get from a two year old. Just do whatever you can to get through the day. These days are survival. Does he still nap? If so, try get a lie down yourself.

I'm doing yoga too. I find it fantastic just for getting some time out and it's amazing how good a stretch can make you feel. The class is lovely and there's candles and dimmed lights with a lie down relaxation at the end. One girl actually fell asleep one week!
    On my last pregnancy I did loads of walking, yoga and aqua aerobics but I just don't have the time or energy this time round. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Two year old taken to 5.30 am starts this week which has been pretty gruelling so feel for you cakerbaker!
    24 weeks today. Had a scan last week as had tiny bleed and needed anti d shot . All well thank God. She spotted gender straight away so convinced now it's another boy! Was tempted but didn't ask. Be handy to use all clothes and toys again but happy out either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Hi Ladies, nice to hear how everyone is going. I'm 23 weeks tomor thank god, last few weeks have been much better since got over all the colds n flus n morning sickness. Haven't started to buy anything for the little one yet as it's my first I think I'm still in a little shock that it's real. Had my big scan 2 weeks ago an so far so good, massive relief.
    My only woe is getting clothes to fit! I've put on way to much weight due to trying to starve off the sickness in the first 14 weeks I've literally ballooned, I'm up prob 25 lbs and finding it really hard to curb the chocolate cravings. Worried now about how hard it will be to get it all off as ppl say you only really start putting on weight from here on ... I am active, walk about 4/5k almost every day and also do Pilates. Fitness would never be an issue for me as I enjoy it but staying away from the table is a different story! Anybody got any useful advice? Obv once babe is healthy that's the main thing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mondo123 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies, nice to hear how everyone is going. I'm 23 weeks tomor thank god, last few weeks have been much better since got over all the colds n flus n morning sickness. Haven't started to buy anything for the little one yet as it's my first I think I'm still in a little shock that it's real. Had my big scan 2 weeks ago an so far so good, massive relief.
    My only woe is getting clothes to fit! I've put on way to much weight due to trying to starve off the sickness in the first 14 weeks I've literally ballooned, I'm up prob 25 lbs and finding it really hard to curb the chocolate cravings. Worried now about how hard it will be to get it all off as ppl say you only really start putting on weight from here on ... I am active, walk about 4/5k almost every day and also do Pilates. Fitness would never be an issue for me as I enjoy it but staying away from the table is a different story! Anybody got any useful advice? Obv once babe is healthy that's the main thing

Maybe change up what you're eating? Get in loads of berries, yoghurt, pistachio nuts, carrot sticks, rye cakes, so you can snack all day between meals without much of a calorie hit (and loads of good nutrition)? I had to eat constantly in the first trimester, it's calmed down now for me though. Anyway don't worry too much about it because everything will come right in the end. :)

I'm 21 weeks and 3 days today and heading for the big scan.

It's been very rocky, constant bleeds and Anti-D injections - seems to be coming from the placenta which might get confirmed today. However baby is doing great so I'm trying not to worry. Easier said than done!

Mondo123 wrote: »

I feel your pain - I find I'm snacking A LOT! I am just trying to always have healthy snacks close by - nuts, crackers, cheese - can't stop eating cheese.
    It's really great that you are staying active though so try not to be too hard on yourself. If you are very concerned you could try talking to your nurse about it.
    At my very first check in appointment I had a doctor I've never had before and she told me to watch my weight and that I should aim to put on about 6kg for the entire pregnancy??? :eek::confused: That can't be right can it? Like I've put on about a stone already.

I'm completely exhausted here. Spending a lot of my days sleeping and not enough time attending work! I need about 2 naps a day, of around 1.5 hours each time.

23 weeks now and my iron levels have gone low lately. I've to take an additional iron supplement, as well as my Pregnacare (which has iron in it)

I'm just on the brink of outgrowing my maternity jeans, so leggings are my best friend. So far I've gained a full stone in weight. The hospital didn't want to talk about weight when I was there, they said they don't want people hung up on numbers and they'd let me if I ever gained too quickly .

I've booked a one-day private antenatal class for late April.. I guess I'm getting nervous about the idea of labour etc now .

Only thing I've bought so far is a bag for hospital for me... It is empty of course, too scattered to actually fill it up.

Lidl have a baby event next week, I might pick up a few babygros there to get me started.

dreamstar wrote: »
    At my very first check in appointment I had a doctor I've never had before and she told me to watch my weight and that I should aim to put on about 6kg for the entire pregnancy??? :eek::confused: That can't be right can it? Like I've put on about a stone already.

6kg doesn't seem like a lot for an entire pregnancy... I know its different depending on your starting weight but I can't see 6kg getting anyone very far!! I'm up a full stone (9st) now at 23wks, have a lot left to go.

6kg doesn't seem like a lot for an entire pregnancy... I know its different depending on your starting weight but I can't see 6kg getting anyone very far!! I'm up a full stone (9st) now at 23wks, have a lot left to go.

Yeah I thought the same. Can't be right at all.
    The tiredness is tough. Thankfully I'm ok with that this time. I just don't have the time to be tired. :D

You have plenty of time to get things sorted though don't worry. I was thinking about getting a hospital bag package online that has everything you need. They are a bit pricey but literally have everything - even the bags.

And yes the lidl baby event is very handy. And Aldi usually do one too. I got loads of babygros from there last time and they were gorgeous and washed really well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

hi Girls,

Its great to see everyone doing so well. I too have my big scan on Tuesday, ill be 23 weeks! Really nervous (FTM) but hopeful all ok. Still don't have a proper bump but uncomfortable at night time trying to sleep!
    I've put on a sight of weight, had put on 7kg at my 12 week scan.. they haven't weighed me since but I would say I definitely have a further stone on... I'm trying to eat healthy but its being inactive is killing me. By the time I finish work I am shattered! Hopefully brighter evenings will make it easier!

Im really struggling to get clothes to fit, bought a few maternity bits but feel they are frumpy. Sick of buying the jeans, none are comfortable! They keep falling down.. any suggestions??

dreamstar wrote: »

You have plenty of time to get things sorted though don't worry. I was thinking about getting a hospital bag package online that has everything you need. They are a bit pricey but literally have everything - even the bags.

Plenry of time to pack :-) I was at a group meeting for twin mums recently and everyone was told make sure we had our bags packed around 30wks...Just in case. And it beats worrying later. Know it's a fair bit earlier than the average advice!

I saw the prepacked hospital bags on Amazon. They looked good but I got annoyed reading the reviews and couldn't decide if the people who gave them bad reviews were just too damn picky (!)

• Advertisement

Goldenlady wrote: »
    hi Girls,

Im really struggling to get clothes to fit, bought a few maternity bits but feel they are frumpy. Sick of buying the jeans, none are comfortable! They keep falling down.. any suggestions??

The last time I bought two pairs of jeans from H&M. They were the over the bump ones and were SO comfy. I wore them through the whole pregnancy and they were in bits by the end. So I've been trying to find them again but my local H&M is Tallaght and they don't have a great selection. I'm planning to go to Dundrum H&M and try on every pair until I find a comfy pair. Also Debenhams do a maternity range I Red Herring that are quite good but they are pricey.

Oh your scan is Tuesday too? What hospital are you in? I'm in Holles Street.

Check out the website ulluv.com for their hospital bags. I've ordered loads from this company before and the girl is SO nice. Stuff comes packaged gorgeous too!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Thanks Dreamstar, Ill try H&M for sure. I bought some in New Look and they are terrible! also bought in Next, not good at all! Living in Leggings at the moment :)

I am in CUMH in Cork. Please god all will be good for us both on Tuesday

I haven't even thought of a baby bag, I feel that after Tuesday and all going well then I will start figuring out what I actually need to do or buy ha! I am up the walls in work and we are renovating the house so living with my dad so all over the place at the minute... I am sure it will all fall into place :)

Goldenlady wrote: »
    Thanks Dreamstar, Ill try H&M for sure. I bought some in New Look and they are terrible! also bought in Next, not good at all! Living in Leggings at the moment :)

I am in CUMH in Cork. Please god all will be good for us both on Tuesday

I haven't even thought of a baby bag, I feel that after Tuesday and all going well then I will start figuring out what I actually need to do or buy ha! I am up the walls in work and we are renovating the house so living with my dad so all over the place at the minute... I am sure it will all fall into place :)

Well best of luck Tuesday and don't worry - packing the bag seems a lot more daunting than it is. Last time I got mine packed over a weekend. PLENTY of time. Best of luck with the renovations. These things are always tough when they are being done but will be so worth it!

I got a few different pairs of under the bump jeans last time and hated them all. They just all slipped down. I bought 1 pair of red herrring over the bump ones in debenhams and found them great. Lived in them and leggings. Still wearing them this pregnancy.

There’s some good lists for hospital bags online. My main tips (others may have more) are - don’t get disposable undies, go for big granny style ones from penny’s. You’ll need them to hold the maternity pads in place after labor!

Hospitals are warm so go for light pjs.
    Pack one bag with the basics for labor and another for afterwards. That can be left in the car till needed.
    Pack everything you need for babies first outfit in a ziplock bag so it’s all together when needed.
    Get lanisoh if you’re planning to breastfeed.
    Flip flops are handy for the showers.

Will probably think of more things down the line! I’m hoping to do the early release scheme so will have 2 bags for after labor, 1 with the essentials for the few hours I’ll be there after labor and another with things I’ll need in case I end up having to stay longer.

Was thinking about your previous post when I went in with my small bleed mystery egg and found it reassuring so thank you ! I had slightly low lying placenta at my big scan so may have caused it however they were confident it was old blood in cervix and nothing to worry about. Nerve racking all the same and the anti d is a pain! Will be great to get your big scan, v exciting!

quote="Mystery Egg;106384474"]Maybe change up what you're eating? Get in loads of berries, yoghurt, pistachio nuts, carrot sticks, rye cakes, so you can snack all day between meals without much of a calorie hit (and loads of good nutrition)? I had to eat constantly in the first trimester, it's calmed down now for me though. Anyway don't worry too much about it because everything will come right in the end. :)

I'm 21 weeks and 3 days today and heading for the big scan.

It's been very rocky, constant bleeds and Anti-D injections - seems to be coming from the placenta which might get confirmed today. However baby is doing great so I'm trying not to worry. Easier said than done![/quote]

Ladies it is madness reading everyone's posts and thinking about hospital bags already isn't it...time is flying!!
    Does anybody have to have the Gestational diabetes test done?

Have to have it at next appointment on tues as I've an underactive thyroid so higher risk of it. Dreading it as I would hate to be put on a diet !! Don't have any symptoms or signs so fingers crossed will be fine. Anyone else?

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Have to have it at next appointment on tues as I've an underactive thyroid so higher risk of it. Dreading it as I would hate to be put on a diet !! Don't have any symptoms or signs so fingers crossed will be fine. Anyone else?

Mine is Tuesday week annoyedgal. Dreading it too! Because my hospital don't deal with women that have it, you've to move hospitals!!!

At what point do they do the gestational diabetes test, and what does it involve? Hasn't been mentioned to me yet.

My next appt is in a week and a half time (25wks) - my regular checkup in Outpatients and also a followup (growth?) scan with the ultrasound department.

• Advertisement

At what point do they do the gestational diabetes test, and what does it involve? Hasn't been mentioned to me yet.

My next appt is in a week and a half time (25wks) - my regular checkup in Outpatients and also a followup (growth?) scan with the ultrasound department.

As far as I know they only do the gestational diabetes test if you have one of the risk factors. I’m not 100% what they are but friends of mine had the test due to high BMIs and due to having had it in a previous pregnancy. It’s never been mentioned to me in either pregnancy. May be worth asking about at your next appointment if it’d put your mind at ease.

Advertisement