Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    As far as I know they only do the gestational diabetes test if you have one of the risk factors. I’m not 100% what they are but friends of mine had the test due to high BMIs and due to having had it in a previous pregnancy. It’s never been mentioned to me in either pregnancy. May be worth asking about at your next appointment if it’d put your mind at ease.

It varies from hospital to hospital but in addition to the risk factors you mentioned it’s age, PCOS, diabetes family history off the top of my head. It’s usually done at 28 weeks.

I’m another fan of the H&M over bump skinny jeans. I’m still wearing them two and a half months after having my baby because they are so comfy! And they look like normal jeans when wearing a long top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Yep it's between 24 to 28 week. They test for sugar in urine sample at each visit anyway but it's a more of an in depth test. Wasn't offered it last time but thyroid was normal back then! Risk factors are family history, bmi, having previous large baby 10 pound plus and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Yep I'll be having the diabetes test too. In holles street they do a glucose tolerance test where you drink this thing and come back an hour later for bloods. If you 'fail ' that then they do another test that's more thorough. I was fine the last time so hopefully will be this time too. A few of my friends have had diabetes and the diet is very strict.

Scan went great today. Such a relief and was amazing. Still haven't found out what we're having. So excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

I got in a swimming pool today for the first time since pregnant. I had thought that wearing a bikini would be the odd bit (I got over that quickly), but nobody told me how weird the whole water thing would feel.

Did not feel like my own body in the pool. The weight on top of me when I tried to float on my back was unreal and kinda scary!

• Advertisement

Great news Dreamstar. Not totally sure the pool is the one place I feel normal weight but don't know if I've tried the backstroke! Must go soon, loved it last time.
    Passed my glucose challenge test thank God! Anyone in holles street public clinic yesterday? was nuts! Queues out the door, people standing, buggies, men, grannies you name it! Was regretting moving from my lovely Monday clinic to midwives as was waiting for ages. Staff so lovely and keep smiling throughout though. Serious credit to them!

AnnoyedGal, I attend a Tues public clinic with a consultant. I'd always get there early as the queue can be out the door like you say. Arriving anytime at or after 8am is an almost certainty you'll meet the back of a long queue. I've arrived at 7:45 and it was a long but okay wait, last time I arrived at 7:20 and was first (too early to check-in of course).

Is the Monday clinic not so bad? How come you changed clinic?

Annoyedgal I attend the Wednesday public clinic too. I'm due in next week. But it's always crazy busy. Because I've to see the haematologist too I just do them both in the one day. She only sits on a Wednesday. I'm in the afternoon clinic so it's from 1. I arrive there around 12.30. Now they don't check you in until one but it means I'm usually near the top of the Que. It's such a pain because you've to Que to check in, the que for midwife, then que for consultant and then another wait for haematologist. I just make sure I've a magazine and snacks! Plus I've time off work for it so not so bad. BUT the thing that REALLY annoys me is people arriving with their partner / mother / children. :mad: What the hell! There are just men sitting everywhere taking up space. :( Half of them stuck in their phone and not offering seats to pregnant ladies. I used to see a girl each time I was there who had her mother and partner there. Like seriously. There's no need for them to be there. You're only peeing in a cup and then seeing the doc for all of 2 seconds.

I had my big scan there on Tuesday. Was just so amazing - it just never gets old. Baby was sucking it's thumb and moving around loads. Got great pictures too. So everything so far looks great thankfully!

I was Monday clinic last time with Dr Foley and started this time Monday clinic with Dr Martin. Was never mad queue like I saw on tues ! Always in and out in the guts of an hour or hour and a half! Maybe just lucky! Switched to midwife clinic this time which is only tues and Thurs so that's why I switched. Kind of regretting it now! Doesn't start till 8.30 so maybe that's why so rammed.
    Totally agree about grannys and partners. Can understand maybe for the first visit but it's a ten send scan at best and can see v little!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

God from hearing your stories I’m glad I can go to one of the local midwife clinics. I’ve only had one appointment there so far this pregnancy which took an hour as they had to set up my file etc but last time I was never longer than 30 mins. Next appointment is in 2 weeks. There seems to be forever between appointments this time for some reason. Have had my booking in appointment with the midwives, a combined care appointment with my GP and my anatomy scan in the hospital. And I’m 23 weeks!

• Advertisement

God from hearing your stories I’m glad I can go to one of the local midwife clinics. I’ve only had one appointment there so far this pregnancy which took an hour as they had to set up my file etc but last time I was never longer than 30 mins. Next appointment is in 2 weeks. There seems to be forever between appointments this time for some reason. Have had my booking in appointment with the midwives, a combined care appointment with my GP and my anatomy scan in the hospital. And I’m 23 weeks!

I'm exactly the same. I feel like because all was fine the last time they are happy to leave me to it. Suits me to be honest. I had two early scans, anatomy scan, one hospital appointment and one GP checkup. My last hospital appointment was early December and I'm back again next week.

I actually got all emotional being there on Tuesday. I think it was because hubby was with me and we kept reminiscing about when we had our first. It was so nice to be back there with him again.

I had my second full scan today at 25 weeks. Babies are moving around well, and are in completely different positions to 4wks ago. About 2lbs in weight each, so they're coming along great. Back in another 3wks to check they're still on track.

They have me absolutely dead on my feet already though! My iron levels keep dropping despite taking double iron supplementa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I had my second full scan today at 25 weeks. Babies are moving around well, and are in completely different positions to 4wks ago. About 2lbs in weight each, so they're coming along great. Back in another 3wks to check they're still on track.

They have me absolutely dead on my feet already though! My iron levels keep dropping despite taking double iron supplementa

Ah that's great news for you, nice to check in every few weeks! I had my big scan last week too and all looks good thank God. Have my diabetes test next week which I'm dreading but after that it's just routine appointments again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 StellaWu

Had my scan last week and so relived that everything looks normal. We have to do a fetal echo in a few weeks as I am on epilepsy meds, but so far so good. I didn't really want to think about it before I was so afraid, but it was such a relief!! So happy for ye all

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Great news Dreamstar. Not totally sure the pool is the one place I feel normal weight but don't know if I've tried the backstroke! Must go soon, loved it last time.
    Passed my glucose challenge test thank God! Anyone in holles street public clinic yesterday? was nuts! Queues out the door, people standing, buggies, men, grannies you name it! Was regretting moving from my lovely Monday clinic to midwives as was waiting for ages. Staff so lovely and keep smiling throughout though. Serious credit to them!

Im going to the physio cos I have pulled my intercostal muscles, apparently its much easier to do it while you are pregnant. But she recommended that I do back stroke, have to say it felt glorious!! Give it a go if you can : )

Booked a refresher ante-natal class today. I think
    I’ll be surprised at how much I’ve forgotten!

Have my Pilates tomorrow, I really need to start practicing more at home. Apparently I’m really stiff which ain’t a good thing for child birth!!

Oh cakerbaker I know what you mean. I was so much more active on my last pregnancy. Just don't have the time now and I'm worried I won't recover as quickly. Am doing yoga once a week but really want to start swimming or something too.

Was back in hospital today. So the weirdest thing happened. It's super embarrassing but I'm telling you in case it happens to you. I was queuing for a while and went to give my pee sample and I noticed my knickers were wet. Really weird and it's never happened before. Anyway I was kinda freaked that it was fluid leaking. But didn't know if I'd peed or something. Gross I know. I was mortified and wasn't going to say anything but my doctor was so lovely so I asked her. She was super nice and checked me over. Anyway turns out I have very mild thrush. Which sometimes can feel like you've wet yourself. She said it's totally normal and to always ask if you're worried about anything. I was so glad I'd said it. She really put my mind at ease. Anyway just to let you know if it happens don't panic. So glad I was in there when I felt it!
    Other than that all is fine thankfully. Holles street also have a new que system which seems to be much quicker.

So, at only 26wks I almost failed today at getting out of the bath. Bump is too heavy to sit upright properly, and bath is too narrow to turn sideways properly. Back pain has made my hips a bit weak. Best way ever to feel like a stranded whale!

Think I'll stick to showers unless I have a helping hand to hoist me out of the tub.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hey all. I've had a bit of a rocky journey but I've been reading along with you all. I've been slow to post because when you're going through a difficult pregnancy I know it can feed other mums' anxiety. But anyway. I have good news today so I'm feeling I can update ye!

I've been in hospital a minimum of once a week and sometimes more often, with bleeding. It seems to be coming from the placenta. And every time I bleed I need an anti-D treatment. I even had an episode of very low blood pressure last week and being put on IV fluids. It's been psychologically very tough. Then when I had my anatomy scan at 21 weeks the baby measured small and an appointment was made with the ultrasound consultant for today.

Which - went great! We were expecting some grim news but the baby is now measuring in the completely normal range (24 weeks, 1lb 9oz) and everything is in its right place. Heart and brain looking good. Placenta is healthy and doing its job right.

We're getting there! :pac:

Hey all. I've had a bit of a rocky journey but I've been reading along with you all. I've been slow to post because when you're going through a difficult pregnancy I know it can feed other mums' anxiety. But anyway. I have good news today so I'm feeling I can update ye!

I've been in hospital a minimum of once a week and sometimes more often, with bleeding. It seems to be coming from the placenta. And every time I bleed I need an anti-D treatment. I even had an episode of very low blood pressure last week and being put on IV fluids. It's been psychologically very tough. Then when I had my anatomy scan at 21 weeks the baby measured small and an appointment was made with the ultrasound consultant for today.

Which - went great! We were expecting some grim news but the baby is now measuring in the completely normal range (24 weeks, 1lb 9oz) and everything is in its right place. Heart and brain looking good. Placenta is healthy and doing its job right.

That’s brilliant news! Must be such a relief!

• Advertisement

That’s brilliant news! Must be such a relief!

Thanks Cakerbaker. I'm in shock. But in a good way. We had prepared ourselves for bad news. But now we feel like we might be able to relax and enjoy the rest of the pregnancy. :)

Sounds so stressful mystery egg, what great news to get and hope you can relax now. Not nice getting the anti d injections but its great they are being cautious with it and looking after you so well

That is great news, delighted for you!

Wow mystery egg - you really have been having a tough time. Hope you're getting some good support.
    Delighted you are at last getting some good news. And you know those little babies are a lot stronger than we give them credit for.

Are you working at the minute or have you taken time off to rest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

After a few unfortunate pregnancies my missus and I are expecting a baby girl, due in July!

We felt her kick for the first time last night (a proper kick mind you!) and she kicked again last night, she seems to be super responsive to my voice as my partner can feel her moving towards the sound of it.

Super excited and forever hopeful as this is a high-risk pregnancy, but everything's gone so great so far and it's so heartening to see how everyone else in here is getting on. Maybe our babies might share some birthdays!

dreamstar wrote: »
    Wow mystery egg - you really have been having a tough time. Hope you're getting some good support.
    Delighted you are at last getting some good news. And you know those little babies are a lot stronger than we give them credit for.

Are you working at the minute or have you taken time off to rest?

Working unfortunately. I'm an agency worker so there's no such thing as paid sick leave. :(

Working unfortunately. I'm an agency worker so there's no such thing as paid sick leave. :(

Oh that's tough going. It's just an added stress worrying about calling into work when you're in hospital. Still good that things are going so well with bubs. Just look after yourself.

Robarmstrong - Biggest congrats! There's nothing like feeling the first baby kicks. High risk pregnancy here too so I understand the nerves but just enjoy every moment because it flies by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

After a few unfortunate pregnancies my missus and I are expecting a baby girl, due in July!

We felt her kick for the first time last night (a proper kick mind you!) and she kicked again last night, she seems to be super responsive to my voice as my partner can feel her moving towards the sound of it.

Super excited and forever hopeful as this is a high-risk pregnancy, but everything's gone so great so far and it's so heartening to see how everyone else in here is getting on. Maybe our babies might share some birthdays!

Huge Congrats, always great feeling the first kicks. I was just reading that on the app that I have about how responsive they are to voices over the coming weeks! Best of luck with it all ;)

@Mystery Egg, delighted to hear all is well with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

@Mystery Egg that's great news, absolutely delighted for you!!

I had my anomaly scan, all was perfect thankfully. I need to relax now and enjoy the rest of the pregnancy!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone! I've had a full week without a bleed now too which is great. Feeling pretty good.

Baby was not moving much yesterday so when I got home from work I laid on my left side, drank a cold drink and blasted some white boy rap near my belly. Sure enough baby woke up and started wriggling away. :pac:

Congratulations Rob! Love feeling those kicks. :)

Advertisement