Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Hey Gee G, are you based in dub? Could like a reflexology recommendation if your allowed post one.
    Your really going through the mill mystery egg. Great that baby is doing well. 28 weeks here and feeling huge! Was definitely neater last time and if my boobs get any bigger I'll freak !

quote="Gee_G;106647135"]I was suffering with very bad heartburn/extreme fatigue and everything in between too until I recently started reflexology treatments and the reflexologist gives me oils to bring home. She mixed up one with peppermint in it and I dab it on before bed and I am perfect 99% of the time now. I still get it but I use the oil and it's gone most of the time within minutes.
    Would highly recommend reflexology to you all!![/quote]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Cue tesco substitution fail:
    Nappies were out of stock, so they sent me a single brown onion as a sub instead

This gave me and my husband a laugh as well! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Hey Gee G, are you based in dub? Could like a reflexology recommendation if your allowed post one.
    Your really going through the mill mystery egg. Great that baby is doing well. 28 weeks here and feeling huge! Was definitely neater last time and if my boobs get any bigger I'll freak !

quote="Gee_G;106647135"]I was suffering with very bad heartburn/extreme fatigue and everything in between too until I recently started reflexology treatments and the reflexologist gives me oils to bring home. She mixed up one with peppermint in it and I dab it on before bed and I am perfect 99% of the time now. I still get it but I use the oil and it's gone most of the time within minutes.
    Would highly recommend reflexology to you all!!
    [/quote]

No, I'm not in Dublin, sorry.
    But if you're part of any local Facebook groups or anything could you ask on there? I'd say if you put feelers out you'd be surprised at how many even of your friends that have kids would've been to reflexology x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys, have yo do the sugar test tomorrow at the midwife clinics... What's the deal with it? Do I have to fast or what's the craic? Appt isn't til 1pm so fasting would suck 🙈🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭AttentionBebe

Did they not give any instructions? That seems negligent if so. Normally the GTT needs to be fasted, either from 8pm or midnight depending on the hospital. Nil by mouth so not even water, but again I'm surprised they haven't told you this because it's important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

Hi guys, have yo do the sugar test tomorrow at the midwife clinics... What's the deal with it? Do I have to fast or what's the craic? Appt isn't til 1pm so fasting would suck 🙈🙈

I was fasting from 10pm night before but my appointment was at 8am. Did you not get an information leaflet in your hospital file at the time you were given the appointment? This was put in my file at my booking appointment as that when I was told I need the test and was given a date for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Are you doing the glucose tolerance test or the glucose challenge? Usually the GTT is done first thing in the morning because of the fasting. If they didn’t give you instructions to fast I’d say it’s the glucose challenge and you’re ok to eat but you could ring them this morning to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

There are two types of tests. The first you don't need to fast for. If you 'fail' that one you have to fast for the next. If you weren't told you don't need to fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

My latest scan at 28 weeks shows the babies are growing well. One is a little under 3lbs and the other a little over 3lbs.

So, with 6lbs of babies inside me this early I'm worried where that will leave me by full term.

Already I can't walk, stand or sit comfortably with SPD and extreme fatigue. I've been signed off work now until after the birth as even trying to commute a few days a week felt like complete torture.

It's going to be a long 10wks or so for me.

My latest scan at 28 weeks shows the babies are growing well. One is a little under 3lbs and the other a little over 3lbs.

So, with 6lbs of babies inside me this early I'm worried where that will leave me by full term.

Already I can't walk, stand or sit comfortably with SPD and extreme fatigue. I've been signed off work now until after the birth as even trying to commute a few days a week felt like complete torture.

It's going to be a long 10wks or so for me.

You can do it! Definitely. Try not to worry. Your body is built for this. Just try to be as gentle with yourself as possible. Really glad you're signed off and can rest.

I've been signed off for a further two weeks in the hope the bleeding will settle down. It's great to have the mental peace of the time off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

Hi ladies, Just wondering if everyone has had the whooping cough vaccine or not yet?

I'm 28 weeks too and suffering so bad with rib pain to the point where I am lying on the floor for some relief. I can't sleep with the pain and the only relief I am getting is if I am lying on my back...which is obviously not recommended at this stage! Has anyone had similar pain or have any tips on how to ease it?

Got the vaccine yesterday, had a pretty bad local reaction to it last time so hoping it won't happen again! Swelling itching red around arm. Ouch to that rib pain, sounds rough. Sorry have no tips, hopefully baby moves soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Have a doctors appointment next week so am going to get the whooping cough vaccine then.

The only thing I found that sometimes worked with my hips last time were random pillow combinations. One between the knees, one under the bump, maybe one supporting my back. The combination varied depending on what worked at the time and it kinda drove me mad as I’d wake and have to move everything anytime I wanted to move in bed.

I had a pregnancy physio class on Tuesday. The physiotherapist said that rib pain is caused by the compression of the muscles in between the ribs from the bump pushing them upwards.

Her advice was upwards stretching to relieve the pressure between the ribs.

Here's a little video that might help: https://youtu.be/BiEsSMQzHCs

I haven't had the vaccine yet but plan to in the next few weeks. What week is recommended for it?

Boop22 wrote: »
    Hi ladies, Just wondering if everyone has had the whooping cough vaccine or not yet?

I'm 28 weeks too and suffering so bad with rib pain to the point where I am lying on the floor for some relief. I can't sleep with the pain and the only relief I am getting is if I am lying on my back...which is obviously not recommended at this stage! Has anyone had similar pain or have any tips on how to ease it?

Oh No. That sounds awful. I really hope the pain eases for you soon.
    I was with my GP the other day and he said I would get the vaccine on my next visit in a few weeks. He said that this vaccine is for baby not Mom so it can be given close to the end. Not sure what the window is for it but I'll be around 31 weeks at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I had the whooping cough vaccine a few weeks ago. Got it in my lower back, had quite the bump there for a week or ten days after it!

dreamstar wrote: »
    Oh No. That sounds awful. I really hope the pain eases for you soon.
    I was with my GP the other day and he said I would get the vaccine on my next visit in a few weeks. He said that this vaccine is for baby not Mom so it can be given close to the end. Not sure what the window is for it but I'll be around 31 weeks at that stage.

I don’t mean to contradict your gp but I was told you need to have it in time for the antibodies to pass over to the baby, so if you have it too late there won’t be enough time for this to happen effectively. And that’s why the timing has been revised down from 27-36 weeks to 16-36 weeks. I’m sure you’ll still be fine at 31 weeks, just thought it was something worth knowing.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/adult/pertussis/

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I don’t mean to contradict your gp but I was told you need to have it in time for the antibodies to pass over to the baby, so if you have it too late there won’t be enough time for this to happen effectively. And that’s why the timing has been revised down from 27-36 weeks to 16-36 weeks. I’m sure you’ll still be fine at 31 weeks, just thought it was something worth knowing.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/adult/pertussis/

Oh no I know this I just meant that you don't need to get it as early as the flu vaccine. You have up until 36 weeks to get it. Obviously would not be walking in at 40 weeks to get it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

I had a pregnancy physio class on Tuesday. The physiotherapist said that rib pain is caused by the compression of the muscles in between the ribs from the bump pushing them upwards.

Her advice was upwards stretching to relieve the pressure between the ribs.

Here's a little video that might help: https://youtu.be/BiEsSMQzHCs

I haven't had the vaccine yet but plan to in the next few weeks. What week is recommended for it?

Thanks for the link mystery egg. I went to physio in rotunda a couple of weeks back but it was mainly focused on pelvic pain. I have been stretching loads but still no relief. I've been on annual leave the past 2 weeks so absolutely dreading how pain is going to be when back to sitting at a desk for 8/9 hours a day from monday!!

In docs today so will ask about whooping cough vaccine.

I have been getting texts from Rotunda saying that it is recommended that everyone gets it between 16 and 36 weeks.

Think my Doc said takes a few weeks to give full effect to baby so prob best get in before 36 weeks if any chance of going early ! I was 36 weeks getting it last time and doc said was very late to be getting it! Got it at 29 this time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 smr85

Think I got the whooping cough vaccine at 18 weeks. Had refused the flu jab due to being quite ill after it a few years ago so got the whooping cough vaccine early enough so I'd be left alone.

Did the glucose test today, really hoping I passed. Have checked my levels regularly as we've monitors at home as hubby is Type 1 and seem to be within the acceptable range. Going to be a long weekend waiting for the results.

dreamstar wrote: »
    Oh no I know this I just meant that you don't need to get it as early as the flu vaccine. You have up until 36 weeks to get it. Obviously would not be walking in at 40 weeks to get it. :D

I think the point is the sooner the better after 16 weeks to get the full benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

Bought our buggy today - a secondhand iCandy Apple to Pear with lots of different bits. Just need to get two Maxi Cosi car seats and we'll have the buggy/travel part ticked off the list. Two of us here, half-clueless trying to figure out how to put it all together.

I've still done nothing with my hospital bag list, except for maybe two or three babygros and a nightdress for me.

Scans and outpatients appts scheduled for every two weeks from now.

The buggy can be so confusing but give it a few weeks and you'll be able to do it blindfolded!
    I haven't done anything with my bag either. Contemplating ordering one online that has everything you need in it. Going to the baby fair today to see if there are any good deals. But last time I got it all sorted over a weekend. It seems more daunting than it is.

ALDI have a baby event on Thursday. I’m going to get more of their muslins anyway.

Went to the fair yesterday. Good discounts but think you'd need to know what you need and have brand research done in advance. Great price for chicconext2me compared to what we paid. Can't recommend it enough. Also good deals on breast pumps and buggies. Definitely worth a look.
    Those pre packed hospital bags were there but looked so small! I had a good sized wheelie bag last time 🀣!
    Got interested in slings from seeing some demos. Anyone have any recommendations for newborn wraps and slings?

Went to the fair today. Picked up LOADS of freebies. Nappies/ wipes/ creams/ bottles. Also ordered my hospital bag bits. I thought the bags looked big enough but I already have a bag so just ordered a smaller bag and the stuff to go in it. So that'll be one less thing to think of. I'm going to bring two bags to hospital. One just for the Labour and then the bigger one for after.
    I actually really enjoyed the day. Wasn't too busy. But I agree - you need to know what you're going for definitely. I bought a whole tommee tippee bottle package last time and little one didn't like those bottles so they were never used. So not stocking up on that kind of stuff again.

How is everyone doing ? I'm signed off for the week with a brutal sinus infection and unsightly nose infection. Look a fright ! On a course of antibiotics which was reluctant to take but pain was so bad I gave in! Really sucks being sick while pregnant!
    30 weeks on Friday and excited to be facing into the single digit weekly countdown. Remember time went a lot quicker after 30 weeks last time so here's hoping !

annoyedgal wrote: »
    How is everyone doing ? I'm signed off for the week with a brutal sinus infection and unsightly nose infection. Look a fright ! On a course of antibiotics which was reluctant to take but pain was so bad I gave in! Really sucks being sick while pregnant!
    30 weeks on Friday and excited to be facing into the single digit weekly countdown. Remember time went a lot quicker after 30 weeks last time so here's hoping !

Sorry you're sick annoyedgal! I've got a sinus infection too but my doctor wouldn't prescribe anything but a nasal rinse. Thankfully it's clearing on its own.

Got the whooping cough vaccination yesterday. Was annoyed that I had to pay for it - it wasn't covered under the maternity scheme! No side effects though and it's done now.

Still off work but haven't had a bleed in 12 days. :) Lots happening next week - GTT, growth scan, consultant appointment and routine Anti-D treatment. 27 weeks yesterday. Getting there!

• Advertisement

I’m 28 weeks now (for the second week cos I thought I was 28 weeks last week and told that to anyone who asked!!!).

Im doing good though my sleep is a bit all over the place. It’s a combination of my hips getting sore in bed and having really weird dreams. Have a combined care doctors appointment next week and will get the whooping cough vaccine then. Need to start picking up bits and pieces too. Boots are starting a baby event next week so will see what they have.

Really need to get our 2 year old out of our room so plan for this weekend is to paint the box room which is finally empty after spending a month of weekends clearing out the 10 years of accumulated crap!!!

Advertisement