Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

annoyedgal wrote: »
    My gp wouldn't give it to me at a combined care appointment! Insisted I make an appointment with the nurse, was 30 for admin fee.
    Last time the gp gave it to me and was still charged 30! Stick with your doc cakerbaker!

Oh that would drive me mad!!!! I wouldn’t mind having to pay if it was the cost of the vaccine but to make you make a separate appointment is ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I've just developed really uncomfortable cramps/pains in my shoulders/upper arms, very strange!! Anybody else get anything like this?! I was just after sitting down so it's not from lying funny or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 44 missy_t

Gee_G wrote: »
    I've just developed really uncomfortable cramps/pains in my shoulders/upper arms, very strange!! Anybody else get anything like this?! I was just after sitting down so it's not from lying funny or anything

Me too! Just developed them this week - driving me mad. Started doing some yoga stretches (just looked up prenatal yoga for shoulder pain on Youtube) and it seems to have really helped. Think mine is from sleeping on my side all the time.

missy_t wrote: »
    Me too! Just developed them this week - driving me mad. Started doing some yoga stretches (just looked up prenatal yoga for shoulder pain on Youtube) and it seems to have really helped. Think mine is from sleeping on my side all the time.

Ah thank you, good to hear somebody else has them. They've completely passed for now, hopefully that's it.
    How are you all finding the heat?
    I found it hard to work the last two days with it and my feet puffed up today...oh the joys!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

Gee-G , my feet have decided to start swelling a little in the heat. Well at least I hope that's the reason!
    I had shoulder and rib pain a few weeks back, stretches definitely helped a bit.

It's getting really weird now, there are definitely times when I can identify a head sticking out of my side... !

I started sorting through my hospital bag list tonight. It looks like I have the baby stuff (vests, nappies,etc) but I have very little for my own bag. Hopefully I can get to the shops and stock up this weekend.

Also, I made a start on some batch cooking/freezing... Well, one lasagne! We'll see how far I get with this "be prepared" plan.

• Advertisement

Definitely have cankles today :-(
    Stood for 5 minutes in the shower and came out with massive ankles.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Poor you, NotTotallySure. Get a little plastic shower stool so you can sit in the shower!

Definitely have cankles today :-(
    Stood for 5 minutes in the shower and came out with massive ankles.

According to my pregnancy yoga instructor rotating your ankles in both directions and pointing your toes up and down can help with ankle swelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Yep some swelling going on here too...rings a bit tight! Updated wardrobe today with some spring summer tops. Why the hell is all maternity gear striped!!! Or synthetic material dresses and tops!

Drives me nuts! Came away with two more striped tops and some shirts and vests. Cant escape the bloody stripes! Feel really frumpy on this pregnancy, was easier to dress for autumn /winter last time!

Yep, Annoyedgal - lots of stripes and black! I found some pretty dresses on H&m online that aren't striped but they are synthetic. Still they were better than nothing.

• Advertisement

So I got loads ticked off the hospital bag list today ladies. I'm delighted! Mostly Dunnes. Oh and their baby event is still on, great value on Pampers, bottles, dummies etc too.

So I got loads ticked off the hospital bag list today ladies. I'm delighted! Mostly Dunnes. Oh and their baby event is still on, great value on Pampers, bottles, dummies etc too.

Well done, it's great to make a start on it.

I did something very similar last night in Dunnes - towels, nightdresses, underwear, baby clothes, slippers etc for the hospital bag. Ended up costing a small fortune but I'm glad thats done. Still missing the kind of stuff u can get in Boots/chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

I actually ordered my hospital bag bits at the baby fair and they were delivered last week. They came wrapped gorgeous! And with a really nice bag I'll use for my labour bag. Had all the bits like nappies , wipes, breast pads , maternity pads, shower gel etc, hair band, brush, bobbin the lot. So I just need a few more bits. Have my clothes and baby clothes sorted from last time just need to get it together. Oh and stock up on plenty more maternity pads. Can never have too many!

Dreamstar, I've heard lots of people recommend Always Night pads instead of the maternity ones as the size and absorbency is very good. be

As someone who has done this before, would you recommend the proper maternity branded ones instead...

NotTotallySure I'm in two minds whether to bother with the maternity ones at all. Maybe one pack but I know with my son I only used a few maternity ones and changed then to the always night time. The maternity ones are like boats haha

NotTotallySure I'm in two minds whether to bother with the maternity ones at all. Maybe one pack but I know with my son I only used a few maternity ones and changed then to the always night time. The maternity ones are like boats haha

Ha, that's what I'm also afraid of. I havent used pads in over 20 years as they always creeped me out as a teenager, so the idea of a massive wedge is seriously freaky to me!

I think I'll try the Always Night and if I'm wrong I only have myself to blame

I really do hate pads too. Last time I used the boots own brand. They're not as thick as the hospital ones. I didn't have that much bleeding the last time so I moved onto always quick enough. But if you do bleed heavy after always won't be enough. Just not for the first few days. I'd have some maternity pads there just in case. Boots ones are cheap enough too.

Oh and the hospital shops do sell a lot of stuff too. So if you had no maternity pads and felt you needed some you can buy some there. I just liked having my own there. But it's totally personal preference. Hospital shops will also have nappies / wipes / creams so you'd never be stuck for anything. They're expensive but worth it if you need it.

Thanks Dreamstar, I'm making up a Boots online shop of what I need - I'll add in a pack of their own brand pads as well as the Always Night, just in case.

Don't think I'll get much sleep tonight, the babies are lurching around changing position all evening. God I hope they're more restful in their cot(!)

Your putting the fear in me guys with the talk of hospital bags ! Moving house this week so bag will have to wait for a few weeks. Agree about the boots brand pads, they are not too scary looking and get you through the first few days, then always are grand.
    The purple lanishoh nipple cream is fantastic for anyone wanting to breast feed. Also learned last time not to buy huge knickers in three sizes too big as they fall down! A size up in the penny's high waisted granny pants were perfect and didn't droop! Also some plastic bags to send laundry home was very useful.

• Advertisement

annoyedgal wrote: »
    Your putting the fear in me guys with the talk of hospital bags ! Moving house this week so bag will have to wait for a few weeks.

Don't worry! I'm just panicking as I'm more likely to go/be induced by 38wks rather than 40. So thats late June rather than July for me.

And I'm worried what the hospital will say to me on Tues - last time the babies were looking a bit big so I'm afraid they'll keep me in or induce me before I'm even 38wks. Feels like the weeks are shortening around me quickly.

Oh you have PLENTY of time. The only reason I have my stuff is because it was at the baby fair.
    Also for breastfeeding - multi mam compresses were my lifesaver. And don't forget to pack some cereal bars and jellies. I took no food last time and would have loved a sugar boost during the night. And I also forgot a shower cap which would have been handy. Don't want to be washing and drying your hair in there.

Anyone else got any tips of things that were handy?

Oh pack baby's first outfit in a little sandwich bag. Put in a vest , babygrow, nappy, hat and gloves. Leave them at the top of your labour bag so your partner/ nurse just has to grab the bag. This was a great tip I got.

I actually liked the massive padded maternity pads. I had an episiotomy (not sure if that’s spelt right) and I got some relief from the extra padding! They’re easily available anyway so you don’t need a huge supply.

Dry shampoo was handy for afterwards too for days I didn’t want to wash my hair. Definitely lanolin if planning on breast feeding.

Bring painkillers too (paracetamol and ibuprofen are fine if breast feeding). A few friends have found the staff to be a bit stingy with them in different hospitals though i had no issues in Holles St.

Everyone is saying how warm the hospital wards are so I'm going to bring a can of this:

http://www.boots.ie/magicool-body-and-face-cooler-spray-200ml-10008319

It doesn't feel sticky on your skin, and it's the only thing keeps me sane on muggy nights during the summer, so hopefully it might be useful if the ward is too warm.

I found my hot water bottle a godsend for early labour back pains and also after my son was born just for any little cramps!
    Not sure if any of you have mentioned this but I found this out thanks to the boards thread when my son was born....tea tree oil, it will be your best friend. Get a sports cap water bottle and full with water and add tea tree oil to it, bout 10 drops should be lots id say. When you're in the bathroom or feeling a bit sore down there, spray yourself with it. Even when I got home I used to just go step into the shower and do it. It is great relief and a natural disinfectant. Also great to put a few drops on to pad that you're wearing. The relief it gives is unreal!!!

Is using tea tree oil the same as using witch hazel? Witch hazel was on the list I was using, but it doesnt tell me what to do with it!

Is using tea tree oil the same as using witch hazel? Witch hazel was on the list I was using, but it doesnt tell me what to do with it!

I'd imagine (and this is only a guess!!) That witch hazel is cooling/soothing but wouldn't be as strong of an antibacterial effect from it?

Hmmm good tip GeeG. I didn't need this last time but something tells me the second time could be harder afterwards.

And the hospital wards can get very warm and actually I hadn't factored in that it will be July! I found light pyjamas last time with a short sleeved button down top. Was a lifesaver for feeding. Although most of the time I was just topless with curtain pulled around. Anyone who came in got an eye full but I didn't even care. Light dressing gown for running to bathroom was great too.

I forgot about the heat and I was in there the depths of winter last time. No one warned me about post natal sweats either !! Remember my in laws visiting me in hospital and I had mini rivers going down my back!
    Had the odd night sweat for few weeks after where i would wake up drenched! Didn't last long thankfully but not pleasant !

• Advertisement

Scan today at 30wks. I was sitting beside someone with a similar size bump... Turns out she was 37wks(!)

Babies seem to be doing well, although both are breech again. 3lbs4 and 3lbs7 today - explains why I feel so crowded in there.

Advertisement