Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Your babies are so big! I had my growth scan today and he is right on track at 2lbs 11oz at 28 weeks.

Had multiple other appointments today including the Glucose Tolerance Test - all good. Now I just hope I don't get the dreaded phone call later.

Still signed off work for a bit but I've had a two week break in bleeding so here's hoping it continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

I got my results back, thankfully no Gestational Diabetes! Also had blood done as so tired, but she said my iron was extremely strong! Think I just have to accept tiredness is part of pregnancy and the fact I am an older FTM.
    29 Weeks today, time is flying in...
    Hope ye are all feeling well. In the last two days I feel like I am stretching more.. its a weird feeling!
    Is anyone else feeling breathless at times? I am on innohep due to clots in the past so am a bit anxious that its a Clot but Id say its just pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

Your babies are so big! I had my growth scan today and he is right on track at 2lbs 11oz at 28 weeks.!

One of mine was 2lb12 at the 28 week scan and I was told that was a good size so you're doing really well. Great to hear you've had a break in the bleeding , hopefully it stays away so you won't have that stress.

My worry last time was the second twin was over 3lb so GDiavbetes was a maybe. Things look more stable growth-wise now.

Finally got to question what happens about delivery - basically I will have the option for natural birth or elective section. Although the natural will involve T1 being head down, which still hasn't happened yet.

Nottotallysure that's fab weights for your two babies.
    Mine was 2lbs 6oz at 27 weeks.. she said that was average so I was happy with that.

Thanks Goldenlady. I'm glad they're growing well but at times the pressure from the combined weight makes me want to cry! That's usually when I think how much longer they still have left to go.

Breathlessness is a funny one. If you're worried, mention it at your appt. But it could just be that the baby is positioned up high.

I'd be considered an older FTM too, so I can definitely sympathise with the tiredness too!

• Advertisement

NotTotallySure, I actually feel sorry for you carrying that weight around, but its all good & healthy signs! Another few weeks of it & then you will have muscles in your arms from carrying them around ha!

I mentioned the breathlessness to my consultant, she said its not to be worried about as it only happens when I over exert myself... if it happens outside of that then Ill bring it up again.

Oh we should start an Older Mothers Club ha!! Roll on July & all of it will be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Goldenlady wrote: »
    NotTotallySure, I actually feel sorry for you carrying that weight around, but its all good & healthy signs! Another few weeks of it & then you will have muscles in your arms from carrying them around ha!

I mentioned the breathlessness to my consultant, she said its not to be worried about as it only happens when I over exert myself... if it happens outside of that then Ill bring it up again.

Oh we should start an Older Mothers Club ha!! Roll on July & all of it will be worth it.

I had very bad breathlessness for about a month but I put it all down to baby position and obviously restricting space up that area because I have noticed the baby has moved down again and I'm not noticeably breathless at all thankfully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Goldenlady I had the exact same fear. I'm on innohep also as I had a blood clot in my lung before. I also suffer with breathlessness a lot. Sometimes when I'm not even exerting myself. It sometimes happens when I'm eating!
    Anyway it's totally normal. Due to all the extra blood your body is working harder and apparently you produce more carbon dioxide. I asked how I'd know if it was a clot again. Consultant said you would get a stabbing pain when you inhale. But that you would know. And when I did have the clot before there was pain with the breathless feeling. So have a chat with them for peace of mind. Made me feel better.

Oh sorry I just read on that you had a chat with them already!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My fasting blood came back at 5.2 rather than the ideal of 5, so it's the diabetic diet for me from here on!

Thankfully no meds or insulin needed, but have to test blood five times a day and eat boring food - so a bit of a bummer.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dreamstar, that's reassuring... ill keep an eye out for a stabbing pain! Its a bit scary especially when you've had them before, I was the same with them in my lungs & had been running the night & didn't even feel it!
    Ill bring it up again if it continues... its probably just anxiousness too now coming up to the last few weeks.

Oh mystery egg that's a disaster, but at least you don't need meds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Just need to moan, last weekend had a mad rush down the country to see a relative who was dying. The following few days were a haze of funeral, pre existing family tensions, my families usual over reliance on me to look after things, a toddler who woke at sunrise and no one I could really ask for help with that as OH had to work and everyone else was in the same boat with the funeral. I’m just shattered and drained. No amount of sleep seems to help. Not sure why I’m even posting this to be honest. Just need to get it off my chest!

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Just need to moan, last weekend had a mad rush down the country to see a relative who was dying. The following few days were a haze of funeral, pre existing family tensions, my families usual over reliance on me to look after things, a toddler who woke at sunrise and no one I could really ask for help with that as OH had to work and everyone else was in the same boat with the funeral. I’m just shattered and drained. No amount of sleep seems to help. Not sure why I’m even posting this to be honest. Just need to get it off my chest!

It's hard to do it all, especially when you're already tired!! Get yourself a lie in tomorrow and a Pj day xx

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

Hi has anybody used Biofreeze for back pain or any other pain during pregnancy. Is it safe to use?

Boop22 wrote: »
    Hi has anybody used Biofreeze for back pain or any other pain during pregnancy. Is it safe to use?

I've never heard of Biofreeze but I know a lot of other things like that are not advised during pregnancy so id stay clear until you can maybe ask your local pharmacist or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Heat packs definitely fine to use for back pain. Hot water bottle works well too.
    Hope your getting some r and r cakerbaker, sounds like a tough few days.
    Finally moved into new house. I don't recommend moving in 3rd trimester unless totally necessary! Lots of tears and exhaustion but worth it now ! My ultimate dream has been realised.....a toy room ! Now I just hope all the flipping toys stay in there!

I saw my GP yesterday for a checkup.
    Had to laugh when he took one look the size of my bump and said "I did sign you off work already, yes??"

I'm fairly certain at this point I'll go for an elective section. I have the usual concerns about it but it really seems like the best option for me and the babies.

Has anyone else made a decision regarding their birth options yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Don't blame you nottotallysure. Think I'd go for same with twins!! Plus they will take you in early and you'll know your date.
    Had a natural birth with vacuum last time so hoping for same this time, hopefully without the post birth infection and retained placenta! Had that removed manually. Not pleasant.
    Had a senior infant ask me today how many babies were in my belly so at least you have a good excuse for the big bump!

[quote="NotTotallySure;106881445"

Has anyone else made a decision regarding their birth options yet?[/quote]

I’ve changed to the Domino scheme as I’m determined to do it as naturally as possible this time as I hated the lack of control following the epidural last time. Though I’ve 10 weeks to go and ended up having to be induced last time so appreciate things may change depending on how things progress!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Can you not do a birth plan that outlines what you want?I know induction doesn't help the process though.I have brought a short birth plan in at 36 weeks on all mine, discussed it with midwife/doctor and it has been added to the chart and is fine.Second time round I added that I would like to be assisted giving birth upright, which I was.Just said I wanted to progress through pain relief, starting at a tens, and seeing could I manage with gas and air; preferably not taking an epidural. I had a similar experience after my first retained placenta, d&c a week later.
    I am 40 weeks tomorrow, my doctor (to be fair to her) is very much letting me lead the process .Currently trying to decide do I want a sweep or not tomorrow, really don't enjoy that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 smr85

I'm currently on the Domino scheme so hoping things continue that way. I want to do things as naturally as possible and be in control of the situation as much as I can be. It's my first so have nothing to compare it to.

Have to love the innocence of senior infants annoyedgal. My older crowd are very interested in approximate size and weight of the baby and ask for weekly updates. Then they get out their rulers to check the measurements and are becoming more and more confused as to how something that size can fit inside me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I was the same on my first and it went fine smr.....no interference, gas and air, natural birth.It is totally possible :-)

I had a birth plan last time, had my tens machine and my yoga ball and exercises ready to go, but my waters broke, I never went into labour and ended up having an oxytocin induction. Gave in and got the epidural a few hours later so my birth plan went out the window! Am hoping I get the birth I wanted last time this time, though at the same time know you kinda have to go with the flow cos a lot of it depends on how things pan out.

I was induced the last time and had epidural. I had decided I wanted one though!
    My baba is breach, also being told there's not much room for manoeuvre!! 30+3....long time to go yet!!!

Gee_G wrote: »
    I was induced the last time and had epidural. I had decided I wanted one though!
    My baba is breach, also being told there's not much room for manoeuvre!! 30+3....long time to go yet!!!

One of mine has managed to go from transverse (head on right, feet on left side) to head down (head down on left, feet up on left side) within the last 10 days. Explains why I felt like a sodding washing machine the last few nights.

So, perhaps your little one will still manage to flip themselves head down in the next while :-)

My other one seems way too happy giving me low kicks,I can't imagine they'll want to change from being breech- she's having way too much fun this way

One of mine has managed to go from transverse (head on right, feet on left side) to head down (head down on left, feet up on left side) within the last 10 days. Explains why I felt like a sodding washing machine the last few nights.

So, perhaps your little one will still manage to flip themselves head down in the next while :-)

My other one seems way too happy giving me low kicks,I can't imagine they'll want to change from being breech- she's having way too much fun this way

Hopefully :-)
    Ah to be honest I wouldn't mind if I had to have a section I just like to know what's what and would like to be prepared for it haha. If Only!!
    When will you be given a date to be brought in?

I've just started getting pains up under my ribs and my back....ouch!!

I'm just a couple of days ahead of you Gee_G. The hospital said they'll discuss dates at either my next appt or the one after (so either next week, or in 3 wks time). Possibilities are booking a section for 37 or 38wks...Late June babies.

I know what you mean about it being good to know what's ahead of u so you can be prepared for it.

At this stage I really hope I don't just start early labour!

My back which has been fine up to now decided to get really sore last night. So instead of my hips waking me every few hours it was a combination of hips and back. Ended up playing with different combinations of my dream genii and normal pillows in different places all night trying to get some relief. Don’t think I got any decent sleep and to be honest I don’t think my husband did either as I was up and down so much all night! Hope this doesn’t continue, I could just about deal with the hip pain but the back pain is worse.

Isn't it mad we're coming to the last stretch? I can't believe it.
    Feeling good here thank God but I've been thinking a lot about the birth. On my last my waters broke a week early. I had a long labour then and was put on the oxytocin drip. I ended up having epesiotomy and forceps delivery and baby was taken away for antibiotics as I'd developed high temperature.
    Things didn't go as I'd planned but to an extent I had to go with the flow. This time I really want to do immediate skin to skin and breastfeed and have time for just the three of us to take it in.
    I really wish I had rested up in the early labour and spent the day in bed. Then I think I could have managed the pain a bit better. I was so exhausted I just couldn't cope. So I'm hoping to be more prepared and in control this time.

• Advertisement

dreamstar wrote: »
    Isn't it mad we're coming to the last stretch? I can't believe it.
    Feeling good here thank God but I've been thinking a lot about the birth. On my last my waters broke a week early. I had a long labour then and was put on the oxytocin drip. I ended up having epesiotomy and forceps delivery and baby was taken away for antibiotics as I'd developed high temperature.
    Things didn't go as I'd planned but to an extent I had to go with the flow. This time I really want to do immediate skin to skin and breastfeed and have time for just the three of us to take it in.
    I really wish I had rested up in the early labour and spent the day in bed. Then I think I could have managed the pain a bit better. I was so exhausted I just couldn't cope. So I'm hoping to be more prepared and in control this time.

I can't get the birth out of my head. I didn't think on the second that id be like this! Thought I'd be a lot more relaxed.

I am a walking hormone today, very emotional!!!

Advertisement