Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Like can't get it out of your head as in nervous? I'm sure that's totally normal considering you kind of know what to expect.
    I'm the same. Not that I'm scared or dreading it - I'm actually really looking forward to it. I just hope to have less interventions next time. Definitely think they slowed things down. Although baby was healthy and I recovered well so in a way I guess I wouldn't change that. I just missed out on the bonding immediately after which I really want next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

dreamstar wrote: »
    Like can't get it out of your head as in nervous? I'm sure that's totally normal considering you kind of know what to expect.
    I'm the same. Not that I'm scared or dreading it - I'm actually really looking forward to it. I just hope to have less interventions next time. Definitely think they slowed things down. Although baby was healthy and I recovered well so in a way I guess I wouldn't change that. I just missed out on the bonding immediately after which I really want next time.

Yeah nervous and I just don't like not knowing (or being able to plan dates for childcare etc).

Good for you! I hope it all goes the way you want x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Nervous wreck on my second gee_g, way more than my first.
    Currently pacing the floors on my third, mentally I am totally unprepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

Waking up at 3.30am every night and staying awake till I have to get up for work!! Horrific back/rib pain that won't ease no matter what I do. Only slight relief i can get is lying on my back which I know we are advised against at this stage of pregnancy.

Currently running on empty and look like a panda with the black rings under my eyes. Lol

Anybody any tips on easing back/rib pain? Even breathing hurts at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Boop22 can you get a physio session at your maternity hospital??

Also maybe it's time to get signed off work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

Boop22 can you get a physio session at your maternity hospital??

Also maybe it's time to get signed off work?

Hi Mystery Egg, I have been to physio twice in the rotunda. They gave me some stretches to try but not much else they can do as they say the pain is from rib cage expanding. I just hoped someone here might have a miracle cure. Lol

I was hoping to stay in work for another few weeks but i think I may need to go sooner as i am just in agony. With doc on tuesday so may even ask to be signed off for a week to see if the rest helps 🙂

You poor thing. I've had my troubles but pain is not one of them.

In the Coombe there's been a big focus on physio for pain management. Maybe give your physio a ring and see if anything further could be done? Also you can take paracetamol. And is a warm bath every day an option, or swimming? Pain is the worst :(

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Girls, I am being very innocent re the birth plan.. Im just completely putting it out of my head, I know the baby has to come out & I plan to take as much pain killer as possible. As a FTM maybe I Am deluded... I don't want to freak myself out by reading up on it, I am not watching one born every minute... I just plan on trying to wing it really!!!
    Now as I am on innohep it could all go wrong, I end up with no pain killers etc but again I cant control what happens so I am very much planning to go with the flow...
    is this silly?

Goldenlady wrote: »
    Girls, I am being very innocent re the birth plan.. Im just completely putting it out of my head, I know the baby has to come out & I plan to take as much pain killer as possible. As a FTM maybe I Am deluded... I don't want to freak myself out by reading up on it, I am not watching one born every minute... I just plan on trying to wing it really!!!
    Now as I am on innohep it could all go wrong, I end up with no pain killers etc but again I cant control what happens so I am very much planning to go with the flow...
    is this silly?

Not silly at all! I had no birth plan first time and don't intend to have one this time. I am also on Innohep so just wanted to reassure you that I was able to have pain relief. I had epidural and was offered pethadine and gas and air also. It was something I was very worried about as I'd heard you can't have pain relief on innohep. If you have any feeling that labour is starting just stop taking your injection. Once it is 12 hours out of your system you're good to go. Usually your first labour is long enough so you will have plenty of time to stop the innohep. Are you taking it in the morning? Apparently labour usually starts in the evening or night time so I was told morning is the best time to take it.

Thanks Dreamstar, That was getting to me a little as the consultant said it needs to be 24 hours of my system otherwise I cant get pain relief! I take mine at night time now, so they advised if I feel like I am in labour to not take it that night..
    The consultant said they will discuss options, so I am assuming in a few weeks they will chat about it. I am older too, so they might want to induce me! ill just have to go with the flow...
    Must go back to the pregnancy yoga that might help me push him out a bit quicker I hope !

• Advertisement

Oh sorry Goldenlady maybe it is 24 hour and not 12. But either ways just don't take your injection if you feel like things are starting. If you are being induced you would also know when to stop them.

What hospital are you attending? I'm with Dr. Murphy in Holles St. If you have any concerns just have a chat with them.
    Like I said I was so worried I wouldn't be able to have pain relief but it was not an issue whatsoever. So I haven't even thought about it for this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

dreamstar wrote: »
    Oh sorry Goldenlady maybe it is 24 hour and not 12. But either ways just don't take your injection if you feel like things are starting. If you are being induced you would also know when to stop them.

What hospital are you attending? I'm with Dr. Murphy in Holles St. If you have any concerns just have a chat with them.
    Like I said I was so worried I wouldn't be able to have pain relief but it was not an issue whatsoever. So I haven't even thought about it for this time.

I am also on innohep, 4,500 units, and have been told it’s 12 hours. Are you ona higher dose as I believe that can mean needing a 24 hour gap.

Apologies, meant to quote goldenlady.

Toastytoes wrote: »
    I am also on innohep, 4,500 units, and have been told it’s 12 hours. Are you ona higher dose as I believe that can mean needing a 24 hour gap.

Apologies, meant to quote goldenlady.

I'm on a 6,000 dose and thought I was told 12 hours too but I'd better ask next time I'm in to be sure.

Thanks Girls,

I am on 6000 too...ill check again when I am in next week. I am at the CUMH with Dr Mc Kenna....

• Registered Users Posts: 5 emmaor18

Hi Girls just wondering what antenatal classes people have done im thinking of going to the 1 day class instead of going hospital one (attending holles street) thanks for any advice

emmaor18 wrote: »
    Hi Girls just wondering what antenatal classes people have done im thinking of going to the 1 day class instead of going hospital one (attending holles street) thanks for any advice

The holles street classes are annoying because they are split up over 6 weeks I think. But you can pick and choose the ones you want to do. I did look into private one day courses but they were quite pricey.

I ended up not bothering last time round. I did the breastfeeding one in holles st and that was it. I don't feel I missed out on much but it's a personal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I did both the last time. I did the private one as I wanted to get the info a bit in advance and you could only do the Holles st one close to your due date. There wasn’t much difference content wise. The Holles st one is over 6 weeks so I booked into an afternoon class, headed there from work and headed home afterwards. Was a handy way to finish work early for an afternoon once a week! The one thing I liked about the Holles st one was you learned a few things specific to the hospital and got to see the labour wards etc. At the same time it wouldn’t have been the end of the world not to know those things either.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

I booked a private one-day course and did it recently. I've been so worn out that it was unlikely I'd make all 6 of the Holles St classes. The private course was on a weekend too so it meant my husband & I got to hear all of the info together.

Has anyone been to the breastfeeding talk in Holles St yet? I was hoping to go today but I'm having a funny week - feeling out of sorts, queasy stomach, overheating (made himself sleep with the windows all open). I don't have a temperature and don't think it's a bug, just that I'm not quite right.

I've got five classes, five consecutive weeks, starting the week after next. I tried to book a one day course but they were all fully booked months ago.

Haven't been getting on great with with the diabetes. They're happy with my diet but my fasting bloods are high so they're starting me on Metformin today. Hopefully that'll bring the glucose levels down.

Sorry to hear you're not getting on well with the diabetes. Hopefully the metformin will control it better for you. Well done on sticking with the diet though

• Advertisement

Cheers NotTotallySure. On the upside I'm feeling well. I seem to be faring better than many in terms of pain and discomfort. I feel fairly normal! I'm also without a bleed nearly a month now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

I went to it last time but honestly didn't remember much from it! The best thing I took from it was info on the breastfeeding clinic they run post natal where they offer advice, check latch, weigh baby and help with any issues.
    Found that it was a learn on the job experience for me personally so getting the info the other end was more beneficial than in advance.
    Spent 4 nights in holles st and some midwives were worse than useless when it came to breastfeeding and actually heard one encouraging a mum to 'just give him the bottle!'.
    That said had two midwives who were amazing and made the difference for me. They also have lactation consultants on the wards so don't be afraid to ask for one!

Aw guys I am so so uncomfortable all day :-(
    Feeling a bit crampy and feel like baby is EXTREMELY low down. My god, I had forgotten all this from the first time

Had a domino midwife appointment yesterday. I know it’s their job as they’ve loads of experience but it amazes me what they can tell from feeling around the bump. Baby is head down, and she was able to give an idea of birth size!

Gee_G wrote: »
    Aw guys I am so so uncomfortable all day :-(
    Feeling a bit crampy and feel like baby is EXTREMELY low down. My god, I had forgotten all this from the first time

You have my sympathy; you're not alone!
    Been feeling like this a while and (as a first timer) it's unnerving.

Gee-G I'm the same with the cramping and the twinge stretches can be very sore. Our 1 year old is also going through a sleepless phase and I'm exhausted.

Glad to hear I'm not alone (sorry ladies!).
    I'm 31 weeks today so still a while away yet...hoping baby shifts around a little bit for the next 9 weeks!!! :-)

I'm 31+3 today. Thought I might die of the heat in the car earlier! Ended up pouring half of my water bottle over me just to stay sane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Not loving the heat either and don't want to invest in maternity summer dresses at 32 weeks but was wishing to God I had one on earlier ! Not totallysure I feel for you with two to carry! You a trooper!

• Advertisement

I have some dresses as I lived in dresses and leggings last pregnancy and so far this one but I’m just not able for the leg grooming that will be necessary before wearing the dresses minus leggings!!!

Advertisement