Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 StellaWu

Congratulations!
    What a great weight, hope he will be home with you soon and that you are feeling good xx

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

Congratulations Kaylami that's great news and such a great weight :)

Can I ask those who have hospital bags packed - did you mostly pack newborn clothes or 0-3 months? I only started packing yesterday but am wondering if I need to bring both sizes with me in case baba is too big to fit the newborn clothes. Have been given no idea of weight! Should I just bring mixture of both?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Ftm here so I also was unsure about this! Been told at all scans babes size is 'average' so I went with all 0-1 month size clothes!
    I'm hoping they will fit ok, fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Boop22 wrote: »
    Congratulations Kaylami that's great news and such a great weight :)

Can I ask those who have hospital bags packed - did you mostly pack newborn clothes or 0-3 months? I only started packing yesterday but am wondering if I need to bring both sizes with me in case baba is too big to fit the newborn clothes. Have been given no idea of weight! Should I just bring mixture of both?

This is so funny because I'm packing my bag and can't for the life of me remember what I packed last time - and it wasn't that long ago! This time I picked up about 4 newborn and the rest I'm going 0-3 months. They shrink slightly in the wash anyway and at least if they are too big you can roll up the sleeves on them. Not much you can do once they get too small.

I found it really hard to get nice neutral baby grows. But I did eventually find boots had lovely little ones. Just in case anyone is looking.

Was back in Holles St yesterday. So my haematologist is happy with me and said she doesn't need to see me until baby is here. Which made it all seem very real. And they decided to repeat my glucose test because baby is on the bigger side and there is some extra fluid there. So I've to call today for those results. Fingers crossed it's ok because some days it's my little food treat in the evening that keeps me going. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

@Boop22,
    Bring a few Newborn as well as 0-3. A lot of people will tell you not to bother with newborn but I had to send for some for my son as the 0-3 was far too big for him!! So it's no harm to have a few ;-)

• Advertisement

Oh and another thing I didn't pack last time and was sorry I didn't was plenty of snacks. Cereal bars, jellies etc. So I'll be packing plenty of them this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I went with 1 month size but have a drawer full of newborn to 0-3 sizes so they’ll be easy for himself to grab to bring in if necessary. Had 0-3 in the hospital last time and while they did fit, they were a bit too big.

Definitely agree about the snacks. They’re even necessary for your partner, I wasn’t allowed eat in the labour ward and was in there for about 8 hours but himself needed something and he didn’t want to leave to go get something. Have a selection of cereal bars packed.

Realized yesterday that I’d forgotten to get another Isofix base for the baby car seat. Was sure we had everything we needed but completely forgot our toddler still has the base from his baby seat as part of his current seat! It’s on the way!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NotTotallySure

dreamstar wrote: »
    Oh no. Why? What happened at the hospital? Hope you're ok.

Same thing as happened last time I was there - I got overwhelmed with tiredness and pain, couldn't stand up and sitting makes my legs swell. Got the shakes so bad! Last time I ended up in tears and being admitted overnight. This time the doctor tried their best to ignore the fact I was crying and was in a heap of pain.

I was begging my Husband to let us just go home. When I came home I slept for about 12hrs before finally officially going to bed. 2 days later I still feel like I've been hit by a truck. Only one week left to go.

The weight of the bump, all the emotions and physical strain have gotten the better of me. I need to be well enough for next week and everything that comes after it! I am doing nothing now except for bed and bathroom .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

You poor pet NotTotallySure. Keep talking positively to yourself and resting as much as possible and you will get through this. You have done so well and you're nearly there. There's tiring times ahead but you'll have your own body back and you will be able for that too. If you've got friends and family that you can ask for help in the next two months - do it! You deserve lots of support. Hang in there!

After six weeks of valiant effort (restrictive diet, regular exercise, oral medication, 8 blood tests per day and five injections per day) my fasting bloods this morning were, for the first time, on target. Wahoo!

After six weeks of valiant effort (restrictive diet, regular exercise, oral medication, 8 blood tests per day and five injections per day) my fasting bloods this morning were, for the first time, on target. Wahoo!

Thanks for the moral support. I have a meditation app I'm using to try calm my mind each day.

Well done on the fasting bloods, you must be relieved after all your effort!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

oh no NotTotallySure, you poor poor thing. I feel your pain, look after yourself now mentally & Chill as much as you can.

Mystery Egg that's great, I only started my GD 7 blood tests a day yesterday, late diagnosis, trying to work & do the bloods & eat all the food is hard and I am only in day one! ha! Fair play.
    My test failed on my fasting sugars, but luckily this morning they seem ok.

Baby was measuring 2.5 weeks ahead yesterday, he's 7lbs already! So im going to pack my hospital bag this week just in case I don't see July 10th!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I brought a mix of sizes clothes wise, with my first 1 month size was the best fit (7lb 8 @ 41+1 but long), with my second newborn was a better fit (7lb 2 @ 38+3). Have a stash in a convenient position that your partner can easily grab, I prepared for a max 2 night stay, I was 6 nights in after the birth with #2 because he was on IV antibiotics.

Same thing as happened last time I was there - I got overwhelmed with tiredness and pain, couldn't stand up and sitting makes my legs swell. Got the shakes so bad! Last time I ended up in tears and being admitted overnight. This time the doctor tried their best to ignore the fact I was crying and was in a heap of pain.

I was begging my Husband to let us just go home. When I came home I slept for about 12hrs before finally officially going to bed. 2 days later I still feel like I've been hit by a truck. Only one week left to go.

The weight of the bump, all the emotions and physical strain have gotten the better of me. I need to be well enough for next week and everything that comes after it! I am doing nothing now except for bed and bathroom .

Oh no hun - hope you feel better soon. Some days things just get on top of you. Just make the most of this time and rest up. Have friends call to you to keep your spirits up. You're so nearly there now.

Just heard back from the hospital there - thankfully my glucose test was fine. But my white blood cell count is slightly high so I may have a slight infection. Might explain the unbelievable tiredness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Really feel for you nottotallysure. Hard enough carrying one around never mind two. Is there anyway to bring section date forward by a few days if your in so much pain. Hope you get some sleep and rest before d day. On plus side I've two friends with twins and they are so amazing! It will be all so so worth it so hang in there.
    I had one month clothes and my boy was a long 7 lbs 7 ozs. Got maybe 2 weeks out of them max. Wouldn't bother with them again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Any suggestions here on where I might get some convenient yet plush PJs for labour and after, I have all my bag ready due 8th July. What snacks are worth packing too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Any suggestions here on where I might get some convenient yet plush PJs for labour and after, I have all my bag ready due 8th July. What snacks are worth packing too?

For labour I just got a night shirt. Wanted something long enough I could walk about in without bottom while also being possible to open it for skin to skin after. For after that I’m just using my large size pjs from penny’s from last time so am no help! Can’t wait till I can burn them to be honest!!! Am going to treat myself to a load of nice new pjs when I get back to normal size!!!

Snack wise I just went with loads of cereal bars as they’re easy to pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Don't spend too much on labour pjs! My lovely pink nighty was cut off for some reason i don't remember now!! This time got an oversized t shirt nighty in penny's for a fiver and some cheap larger sized pjs for after. Also a light dressing gown.
    Dried apricots were among the snacks last time but don't think I ate much!

I just picked up some nightdresses in Penney. And got some maternity ones in dunnes also that make breastfeeding easier. The wards get very warm so I'd say go for the lightest things you can find. Oh and dark colour too. You might be bleeding a lot after.

For snacks cereal bars are handy and I packed jellies for a sugar boost too.

Was told by my GP today that I'm probably breech and measuring 35 weeks even though I'm
    Only 32. I know from earlier consultant appointments I've a lot of fluid. She reckons I might to have CSection 3weels before my due date.

Anyone else measuring big or being told about CSections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭Gee_G

StellaWu wrote: »
    Was told by my GP today that I'm probably breech and measuring 35 weeks even though I'm
    Only 32. I know from earlier consultant appointments I've a lot of fluid. She reckons I might to have CSection 3weels before my due date.

I thought I was going to have to have a section but when I went for my appointment a few days ago the baby had actually turned and I didn't think it would because it felt so tight for space. It might turn yet!

• Advertisement

Girls, just a question for anyone with gestational diabetes... this is my second day doing the full 7 tests... my query is the snacks...do I need to wait 2 hours after snacks to test for pre meal? Also, for the bed time snack what is the optimum time for that? I had it last night about 8ish so I could test my bloods at 10ish.. didn't want to stay up too late :)
    Its all new to me so sorry for any stupid questions!

To be honest I wouldn't trust a GP on this one. Did the GP measure you with the measuring tape thingy? I'm not sure how reliable that is.
    Also even if you were breech there is still plenty of time for baby to move and 9 times out of 10 they do.
    I'd mention it at your next hospital appointment and see what they say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Goldenlady wrote: »
    Girls, just a question for anyone with gestational diabetes... this is my second day doing the full 7 tests... my query is the snacks...do I need to wait 2 hours after snacks to test for pre meal? Also, for the bed time snack what is the optimum time for that? I had it last night about 8ish so I could test my bloods at 10ish.. didn't want to stay up too late :)
    Its all new to me so sorry for any stupid questions!

I'm in the Coombe and I'll tell you what I do based on their advice to me. However the best thing for you is to give your clinic a quick ring and ask! I do it all the time. :)

I test 7 times a day like yourself, plus 3am to see how my fasting bloods are responding during the night.

I snack when I want one, which is usually 2-3 hours after a meal. And I don't worry about timing snacks at all, except for the pre bed snack. My routine at bed is to test (say around 10), and *then* eat my snack. This is what I was told to do. But it might suit you well to eat your snack at 8, so like I say, just give your diabetic midwife a quick buzz for her advice.

If you're managing with diet alone I don't think it's too important but I know myself the peace of mind is great when you've confirmed that you're doing the right thing. :) Good luck!

Thanks Mystery Egg,

I will give them a call to be sure.

My bloods are measuring fine thankfully, the only one that is borderline is my morning test.... that's what I failed my GD test on!!!!

I think maybe eating after my Bedtime test would help my morning bloods!

Thanks for the advice!
    I was feeling a bit deflated (metaphorically obviously, in reality I feel like a small slow elephant!) leaving the office, so good to hear the CSection is not a given.

Came across site called spinning babies so will see if I can get some of their exercises a go :)

Thanks for the advice!
    I was feeling a bit deflated (metaphorically obviously, in reality I feel like a small slow elephant!) leaving the office, so good to hear the CSection is not a given.

Came across site called spinning babies so will see if I can get some of their exercises a go :)[/quote

My yoga teacher always recommends spinning babies for breech positions. Definitely worth a try. Good luck.

Anyone else praying for rain to break this heat a little?!!

I've gone through two cans of Boots hot weather spray this week already.

Regarding PJ's/nightshirts for hospital I found Dunne's had a couple of dark nightdresses that button down halfway. Got two of them for myself. They're comfy for now and hopefully will work for breastfeeding too.

I must checkup up a hospital bag list for the babies for post-csection. Seems reasonable to assume I'll need to dress them for the 5 days they're in - I guess I just don't know how many times they'll require changing each day!

Regarding snacks for labour or hospital, I got cereal bars too - Boots had an offer on Nutrimum breastfeeding bars, I've sampled one and it was quite tasty. Most people have said to me they get quite hungry during the night in hospital while b-feeding so it's handy to have. Also, oat based snacks are supposed to help with milk supply

dreamstar wrote: »
    Did the GP measure you with the measuring tape thingy? I'm not sure how reliable that is.

The tape measure (fundal height measurement) isn't very accurate but gives an average idea of size to the Dr. The amount of centimeters should be somewhere near the number of weeks.

My consultant has never bothered with it for me, but two visiting medical students did it - I think it was for their own amusement (and I was up for the laugh). I measured 44cm at 33wks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Good tips there regarding nightwear thanks. Will go look.

I was measuring 2 weeks ahead that was from the midwifes tape measure so she was concerned that perhaps I did have GD but when I got the growth scan they weren't anymore concerns. These measurements are not very accurate , depends on a few things.

Advertisement