Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2018 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I’m still feeling crap. Some days are worse than others. Have had a lot on the last few weeks which didn’t help but thankfully things have calmed down now. Did it take people long to get appointments from their hospitals? Holles st in particular? My dr sent my referral off nearly 3 weeks ago and I haven’t heard anything back. Have an early private scan on Monday when I’ll be 8 weeks. Am half excited, half nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Cakerbaker took less than a week here to get an appointment letter from holles st so maybe follow up. That was from referral letter from doc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

I'd give them a call cakerbaker . I've always gone in early so not sure how long it should take.
    Did you register online? I had to do an online registration too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hi all. Just found out I am also due July 2018. Major shock as I have an 18 year old and a 13 year old and I’m in a very new relationship. It’s his first child and he’s super excited and a little scared, but I’m just petrified and can’t seem to get myself excited. I’m exhausted all the time and feel sick most evenings. I also haven’t told a single person as I can’t get my head right yet. Any advice would be great on how to tell my other children, both our parents etc and how to feel a little better about this. Thanks very much.

Hi there. I hope you are feeling a bit brighter today.

The first thing, I think, is to make your own peace with the pregnancy. It's unexpected, and the timing is off, but this is wonderful news and everything will be okay. You can do this, especially with a happy and supportive partner. Make sure you give yourself loads of TLC. Lean on your partner. Take a couple of days off work if you can - call in sick and have some duvet days and be really nice to yourself!

The bad symptoms will pass, and everyone else's reaction to the news is their concern, not yours. Everything will be all right. You got this!

As for me...I found out totally unexpectedly the other day that I'm expecting, and due in July. I'm delighted but also scared - I've had two miscarriages and I want this one to stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭MelanieC

Hi everyone,cautiously joining ye if ye don't mind! I've been following this thread from the very first post as I knew I was pregnant then but was afraid to tempt fate by posting.

This is my fourth pregnancy. Have two kids (17 & 5) and had a miscarriage in July at 14 weeks. It was very hard but tests showed I have a blood clotting condition called Factor 5 Leiden so this time I'm being treated as high risk. It's reassuring but scary at the same time! I'm currently on high dose folic acid,aspirin,progesterone pessaries (ick!) and heparin injections (double ick!) which I just started two days ago and will be on daily for the whole pregnancy. They're horrible and sooo sore. But needs must.

I'm 8 weeks and have had an early scan where the heartbeat was detected so that's given me some hope. Hopefully I will have another one soon as I'm very nervous. Feeling nauseous most of the time and literally wiped out tired but I had no real symptoms last time so am grateful for each bout of queasiness I feel this time round!

So yeah,that's my story. I hope I will be sharing with you all for a long time to come and that I won't have to bow out early as I did from the December thread (my little boy would've been due soon.) Bizarre fact actually is that I'm due July 4th which will be the anniversary of when I lost my last baby. OH finds that a bit creepy but I think it's kind of nice in a way?

Sorry for going on a bit. Hope everyone is doing well and not feeling too sick. Don't suppose anyone else is on these damned injections?! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Boop22

I had early scan yesterday and was able to see/hear heartbeat which makes it all seem real now. I'm also due 4th July all going well...still very nervous! Am only 8 weeks so couldn't make much out on scan but getting to hear heartbeat is very reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Oh MelanieC my heart went out to you when you mentioned you had a mis at 14 weeks that's so so tough esp as you would have assumed you were out of the danger time. Gosh there really is no 'very safe' time is there.
    I'm 8+2 today and have scan on Sat, very nervous as this is my first pregnancy. I had alot of cramping from wk 3 but that has eased slightlylast couple of days. In general I just feel 'off' or out of sorts with a lot of gas / indigestion... but no major symptoms until this morning when I woke an had to run for the toilet to spew. In a weird way I hope it's a good sign. Waking up most nights between 4 an 6 as well! Driving me cracked n exhausted at work next day!... fingers crossed for us all, I can't wait until I can be open an tell ppl!

I had spotting last night and as a result today I feel like it's all over. GP appointment tomorrow.

I've had two previous miscarriages so it's hard not to believe the worst.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Why don't you go to the hospital?(especially if spotting has stopped??)I have had it in all three plus a bleed at week 12 on this one (my third) so I do know how you feel but I always head for the hospital to see what the story is.I know they can't do anything but I want to be sure there are no other issues going on.I have two kids and to date, a good third pregnancy.
    Fingers crossed it's nothing too serious.

I’d second Shestys suggestion to go to the hospital. I doubt the GP will be able to do much, the hospital would probably be in a better position to give an idea of what’s happening. Fingers are crossed for you!

• Advertisement

I'm there now, waiting. Thanks for the advice

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I hope your spotting has stopped or eased at least.I know they might not be able to do much, but hopefully you will get a scan in the EPU in a week or so and some peace of mind.It's horrible waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Thinking of you. Hope you're ok.

Melanie good luck to you too. Miscarriage is so hard. I'm sure you're extra nervous this time. I had a miscarriage at 12 weeks before. It's heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hope all is ok for you Mystery egg xx

Fingers crossed for you Mystery egg. Think it's pretty common in first trimester so hopefully all is well x

Thanks all.

No news really. There's still some bleeding and it's too early to say if it's just a bit of spotting or the beginning of a miscarriage.

The scan showed the sac but it's too soon to know if it's developing as it should or not.

I've been booked into the early pregnancy unit for next week for an internal scan.

On the plus side their care in the Coombe was absolutely exemplary.

Feeling very tired and not too hopeful. :(

How many weeks are you?
    I was in around 5/6 weeks with similar.Sac was there but not much else could be told.The emergency room's scanner can't really tell but the EPU one will.So fingers crossed.Very stressful.

Hope everything goes ok for you Mystery Egg,I've been where you are and know how nerve wracking it all is.

You sound like you're in the very early days tho so I will say that when I had a six week scan in the EPU they couldn't detect any baby,only the sac. I was terrified but they brought me back in ten days later and there was the baby,heart beating away.

The waiting is the worst thing coz you imagine every kind of worst scenario but stay positive coz there's still every chance.

shesty wrote: »
    How many weeks are you?
    I was in around 5/6 weeks with similar.Sac was there but not much else could be told.The emergency room's scanner can't really tell but the EPU one will.So fingers crossed.Very stressful.

I'm 6+6 according to calendar, but more likely 4-5 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aw31

Congratulations I found the coombe brilliant I had my son Arthur there in April he's 7 months now in Saint Patricks ward the staff were very helpful and made me & Arthur very comfortable I wish you all the best :)

• Advertisement

I'm 6+6 according to calendar, but more likely 4-5 I'd say.

How’re you feeling Mystery Egg?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

New to this thread, just at 8 weeks now and due July 12th. Its a very pleasant surprise for my partner and I. We weren't trying, but in terms of timing my mom just passed away 7 weeks ago so I certainly wasn't thinking this would happen. Im old enough to know better, but I am hoping its a gift from my Mom.
    I am over cautious and not getting too excited as lots of my friends had mc.. I hate leaving that impact on my happiness but I think with me in depths of grief for my mom still I am preparing myself for the worst, if that makes sense.
    I too am on heparin injections daily due to previous blood clots, my stomach is black and blue already!
    So just wanted to say Hi and hope every one is feeling ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mondo123

Congrats Goldenlady defo seems like your mam is sending you a special gift.

Just wondering if any of you ladies have ever suffered with the winter vomiting bug while pregnant? My family are falling one by one with it and I'm in fear I will inevitably catch it ... already feel a bit quezy... would it be detrimental to a pregnancy?

Shouldn't do any harm at all Mondo, just keep hydrated. Phone your gp of worried but friend had a bad dose before and her OB told her not to worry at all.

Forgot to update about my 8 week scan. Pretty much saw a fuzzy blob but the blob was the right size and got to hear the heart beat so was all as good as it could have been really!

Rang Holles St too who hadn’t received the referral from my Dr so they did it all over the phone and I received everything in the post the following day. My dr had told me the first appointment would be in the hospital but it’s actually in the midwives clinic in Bray (they asked if I wanted this and I said yes).

Thankfully my doctor signed me off sick this week, I just couldn’t keep going with my commute on the dart, the enhanced smells and feeling and getting sick!

Goldenlady wrote: »
    New to this thread, just at 8 weeks now and due July 12th. Its a very pleasant surprise for my partner and I. We weren't trying, but in terms of timing my mom just passed away 7 weeks ago so I certainly wasn't thinking this would happen. Im old enough to know better, but I am hoping its a gift from my Mom.
    I am over cautious and not getting too excited as lots of my friends had mc.. I hate leaving that impact on my happiness but I think with me in depths of grief for my mom still I am preparing myself for the worst, if that makes sense.
    I too am on heparin injections daily due to previous blood clots, my stomach is black and blue already!
    So just wanted to say Hi and hope every one is feeling ok!

Hi Goldenlady. Congrats on your little surprise!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one on those dreaded heparin injections,my stomach is destroyed already too. What kind of dose are you on? I was prescribed 5000 units which was calculated according to my weight. My chemist tho gave me prefilled syringes of 8000 units and me,being an eejit who didn't read the label I had been injecting the whole lot til I noticed one day. Cue a panicked call to the maternity hospital and the doctor there told me I should be on 7000 units anyway, even though the prescribing doctor had been adamant i not go over the 5.

Has anyone else found with going public that you are told something different by someone different every time you go in?? Myself and OH are already anxious enough after the miscarriage and its just so unnerving to be given different advice each time,it's like well, who do I listen to, which one's advice do I follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Hi Mel
    Im on 4500 heparin. It seems to hurt more each injection!!! Had to get a spray tan tonight for a wedding & id say the poor girl thought i was a drug addict or being beaten!!!
    My doctor placed me as high risk so I opted to go public but im not in for first scan until January wheb ill be 14 weeks. Ill go have a private scan this side of Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

MelanieC wrote: »
    Hi Goldenlady. Congrats on your little surprise!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one on those dreaded heparin injections,my stomach is destroyed already too. What kind of dose are you on? I was prescribed 5000 units which was calculated according to my weight. My chemist tho gave me prefilled syringes of 8000 units and me,being an eejit who didn't read the label I had been injecting the whole lot til I noticed one day. Cue a panicked call to the maternity hospital and the doctor there told me I should be on 7000 units anyway, even though the prescribing doctor had been adamant i not go over the 5.

Has anyone else found with going public that you are told something different by someone different every time you go in?? Myself and OH are already anxious enough after the miscarriage and its just so unnerving to be given different advice each time,it's like well, who do I listen to, which one's advice do I follow?

Are you on it due to a previous blood clot? I’m on innohep 4,500 units. I asked about needing to be weighed and was told that 4,500 is the standard preventive dose (I.e if you don’t have a clot currently that needs treating, cos that dosage would be weight dependent). Obviously it could be different with heparin, I’ve never used that one. Have you been referred to the Haematology clinic? I was seen there even before my booking appointment came out. Will be seen there again later in the pregnancy.

Yes it's innohep I'm on as well. I had a miscarriage in July and the subsequent tests showed it occurred due to a blood clot in the placenta and I was diagnosed with Factor 5 Leiden which means my blood is more prone to clotting than normal. I had two perfectly normal pregnancies and deliveries previously though.

So ye are both on 4500? I am overweight so I guess I would need more but still,all the uncertainty is very worrying.
    The first doc calculated it as 50 units per kg weight,so 5000 units as i weighed in at app 100kg but the second said anything over 90kg should automatically be 7000. So now I'm injecting 7000 but am apprehensive. And yeah each one seems to hurt me more and more too.

I too am supposed to be high risk but have not yet had a clinic appointment or heard anything since they scanned me and gave me the innohep prescription. I guess maybe I'm being over anxious but I'm constantly worried and feel like I need more reassuring and consistent care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

MelanieC wrote: »
    Yes it's innohep I'm on as well. I had a miscarriage in July and the subsequent tests showed it occurred due to a blood clot in the placenta and I was diagnosed with Factor 5 Leiden which means my blood is more prone to clotting than normal. I had two perfectly normal pregnancies and deliveries previously though.

So ye are both on 4500? I am overweight so I guess I would need more but still,all the uncertainty is very worrying.
    The first doc calculated it as 50 units per kg weight,so 5000 units as i weighed in at app 100kg but the second said anything over 90kg should automatically be 7000. So now I'm injecting 7000 but am apprehensive. And yeah each one seems to hurt me more and more too.

I too am supposed to be high risk but have not yet had a clinic appointment or heard anything since they scanned me and gave me the innohep prescription. I guess maybe I'm being over anxious but I'm constantly worried and feel like I need more reassuring and consistent care.

I guess it’s possible you are on a higher dose because you have a diagnosis of a condition while for me I had a previous clot unconnected to pregnancy. My thrombophillia screen was also clear so I don’t have any blood clotting conditions as such. I would insist on being referred to the Haematology clinic though so at least you can get all your questions answered by someone in that clinic. My gp was very proactive in referring me there and she also contacted the clinic in advance of prescribing the innohep to check the dosage. I’m in the high risk category too so will be having all my appointments at the hospital instead of having some at gp.

The Haematology clinic seen me at 10 weeks and will see me again at 32 weeks to discuss the implications of the injections for the delivery as it can affect you getting an epidural etc. if there isn’t enough time passed since your last injection.

The injections are horrible aren’t they, not to mention expensive. Have been told I’ll be on them until 6 weeks post delivery.

Advertisement