Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old church in Balla: info?

• 31-10-2017 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I would like to have details and info about the ruins of the church with a steeple with a tall pointed spire in Balla, just off the N60 towards Castlebar.
    I visited the ruins some months ago, but I can't find anything about it. Is its name Holy Trinity Church?
    Thanks so much!

I'm attaching a screenshot from Google Street View.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

If it was Church of Ireland try the Representative Church Body in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Thanks, I've just sent a message through their website.
    I wonder if anybody living in the area would chime in and give their contribution? :)
    It is strange, also, that there are very few photos of it on the web...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I understand a decline in attendance is why it closed. It would have been tied to Lynch Blosse Family home that now makes up part of the local secondary school. ( Its stables are located half way up the main driveway ( next door to the Centra Shop)

I believe upon closing, that it was offered to the locals as a library but it was never used. I remember hearing once that the the COI community felt angered when the church was being used for events other than the reading of books and demolished the main body of the church.

I also remember being told that they donated the stone for the building of the new (current) R.C. church in the village. Neither of both of those stories could be true.

Thanks for your post, voz es :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Theres a Balla Community/ Old Photos page on Facebook. Im sure that someone on there would know more about it

• Advertisement

Hi whitey1, unfortunately I don't have Facebook, but I have written to the Representative Church Body and they have already replied that they will look for details and come back to me.

Thanks! :)

P.S.: Lots of wonderful old photos, though!

Advertisement