Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam marathon April 8th 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Also found my confirmation Number email, Not long to go now.

Last very long run done on Sunday so plan has reducing mileage from here to race day:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

My first marathon and I'm ever so slightly terrified.

The snow arrived and the temperatures plummeted just in time for my longest run. I've no idea what to expect. I've done precisely no races this year, so I've no idea what kind of shape I'm in.

Did I mention that I'm terrified yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

446136.png

Too soon? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Nope - Hold it there please. I still have the tan lines from last year

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Too soon? :)

Never too soon for those forecasts, it's the ones saying there'll be a hurricane and a heatwave that you're not allowed post in advance :)

• Advertisement

Taper time!
    Last long run done today.
    A 20 mile torture fest that proves you can miss too many long days

Last hard session today too. Will enjoy the break - unless it drives me crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Things were going reasonably well for me, right up to the closing hours of the taper.

I was supposed to do a hours calibration-type run yesterday and then my last long run today (two hours).

Family stuff meant I couldn't start the tempo run until late last night and I hadn't eaten anything substantial. I didn't have the energy to do the thing in the zone i was aiming for, so I just did 30 mins. I also don't think I'll be able to do the long run tonight unless I start out at 22:00.

I'm thinking of repeating the tempo this evening and then doing the long run on Monday.

And then taper!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Let the taper begin
    Got my 10m tempo run done on Saturday and then a 16m Long run yesterday, Legs were tired yesterday but felt good.
    Only issue now is i have a dry cough, So i think i will take it easy and clear the cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I'm pulling out of this due to missing too much training and now a head cold that I cannot shake. Going to target Limerick instead. If anyone knows anyone that wants to buy my non refundable prepaid accommodation PM me! Its for two people in the NH Atlanta (beside finish/start area). Going for a song :)

• Advertisement

Email today with maps and instructions

Long term forecasts still looking decent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

RayCun wrote: »
    Long term forecasts still looking decent

Perfect running conditions here in South Holland today:

I see that I misinterpreted the change to the route map. I had thought we were starting on the bridge, but we're actually starting just before the Erasmus bridge climb, rather than just after it. This should be the view from the start line, with the Erasmus bridge up ahead and to the left. I wonder did they measure the course from both sides of the road on the bridge? Left hand side looks about 3m shorter. ;)

Also, why has there been no talk of pubs?

Here's my view from the finish line last year in Paddy Murphy's

IYATBG-AhHDNVMSc0zU_It6KDSjRAiKpVZ2jsHd6LKdX8313DfhI7KBD0IHmBqDtC9PF4KsY6kqHn41C1FuQ8X3Yt8xbj0DHSSRzF281alFz3HtBLb6qR9ajGHXwPtkmcUEjDWSC8i5i3-uiSEEnkM59jIVGYfZShhdTtZX8mruyLDTGDDHU4vBz47ELmoyeme3pc6ClQmlf1IjnzmAWSsCMB6eGTZvElIgKyRxdBbEYiei4wQbED74j8d49beMfytM5SwpaKjmDEXPoa1hh9c04z_aSPSNG757oZkJoAcoYECd4JBldid7XRt9E7kbotOjX_aRefc7MDrRtWJUi4QEjSoi6GCzwsoLeCXVtHxZs90R5oEV362ELt0wSYcp1q1OiA4R4Cp5HPnsOhSCsnS6xJf8KZZ7DEgEWFRGQ_wYht-_raXK7m9lRtA5UaK60UNN2biA2iVAssSwR_S9gS2S-VDmuuyb5BwzxToik40AqB4RWACXJ7XgfvXJXlP0rtss-EOQxMlbdlopsOGfowiNk8_KcG9dBHfScktkTxb7yoJZThBHRa6NpPGM4MgAdNUdTEUeDJBZZ8myocs2g1VzVCnL2rpYArasSeFp_=w525-h933-no

A, B, and C pens are on the left, so ssshhh!
    Do you want those two seconds or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Also, why has there been no talk of pubs?

De Kaapse Brouwers
    Veerlaan 19-D, 3072 Rotterdam
    010 218 0853
    https://goo.gl/maps/cGMt1eJW5dJ2

This place might be to your liking Krusty.

OOnegative wrote: »
    De Kaapse Brouwers
    Veerlaan 19-D, 3072 Rotterdam
    010 218 0853
    https://goo.gl/maps/cGMt1eJW5dJ2

This place might be to your liking Krusty.

Cheers OOnegative. I'd saved that one on Google maps from an earlier search, but sadly it probably won't get a look in. It's almost a running joke at this point (pardon the pun), that I make an argument for a decent public establishment, and we just end up in the nearest Irish pub anyway. I feel like I still have to put up a token level of resistance, but Irish runners just like to congregate together after marathons in Irish pubs. It's like a beacon or a bat- symbol to their tired sweaty thirsty sunburnt faces. :)

So... Whose up for a trip to Da Kaapse?

Yeah, Id take that weather if you offered it to me.

you had your chance...
    Starting this now, so Krusty can get in early and nominate a pub that serves decent beer :)

...and you turned it down...
    So that everyone can ignore it and go to the Irish pub anyway. :) Actually, the Irish pub was pretty decent. So while there are better options, no complaints from me. :D I'll have some decent beer tucked away in my bag for afterwards, but perhaps I'll skip the 10% Westy this time around.
    So... Whose up for a trip to Da Kaapse?

no backsies!

no backsies!
    Mild herniated disc in my back this morning, while taking off my shoes after my run. Hopefully it's nothing and clears up in the next 1-2 days, but your comment is still out of taste. :eek:

;)

• Advertisement

Mild herniated disc in my back this morning, while taking off my shoes after my run. Hopefully it's nothing and clears up in the next 1-2 days, but your comment is still out of taste. :eek:

:eek:

the kids are off school - they can put on and take off your shoes for the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I've been told to tell you Rotters that a table with predictions and bib numbers and so on is expected by the cheering masses.

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    7750|RayCun|2:56:42|2:49:00|
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

Nice aggressive target there for our first entry. Best of luck with it Ray. Where and when was the PB? Dublin or abroad?

Itziger wrote: »
    Nice aggressive target there for our first entry. Best of luck with it Ray. Where and when was the PB? Dublin or abroad?

PB was Dublin, back in 2014. So a couple of minutes for the easier course, a couple of minutes for the weather (which will be better), and a few minutes from... somewhere else. Maybe I'll steal Krusty's fancy shoes :)

10866|asrv|3:09:xx|3:08:59|
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

Not in fantastic shape this year so I'd be delirious with a PB

Itziger wrote: »

PB was Dublin, back in 2014. So a couple of minutes for the easier course, a couple of minutes for the weather (which will be better), and a few minutes from... somewhere else. Maybe I'll steal Krusty's fancy shoes :)
    The accumulated training in the intervening years surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

10866|asrv|3:09:xx|3:08:59|
    5664|healy1835|3:15:26|2:59:59|
    ||||
    ||||
    ||||

Training block has gone pretty well. I've given myself every chance I think, will give it a proper rattle and see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

Does anybody know if there is a tracker for the marathon. thanks

• Advertisement

EMPM wrote: »
    Does anybody know if there is a tracker for the marathon. thanks

there's an app, in the info section of the website

Advertisement