Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter is coming Time to Layer up

Options
  • 31-10-2017 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭

Ok not a GOT fan but on the commute into work now and it’s time to Layer up.

At the moment the weather is not so bad so just have rain jacket and either long sleeve or long sleeve NF or Under Armour t shirt to keep warm. However I am beginning to feel the cold. I have the bottom figured out just shorts and leggings if need be but what about the layers on top. Nothing to fancy just browsing via sports direct and seen a few things just looking for recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Ok not a GOT fan but on the commute into work now and it’s time to Layer up.

At the moment the weather is not so bad so just have rain jacket and either long sleeve or long sleeve NF or Under Armour t shirt to keep warm. However I am beginning to feel the cold. I have the bottom figured out just shorts and leggings if need be but what about the layers on top. Nothing to fancy just browsing via sports direct and seen a few things just looking for recommendations

Neck buff thingy to keep your throat and upper chest warm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

Skull cap thingy for under your helmet, makes a massive difference if you keep your head warm.

And +1 on the buff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Neck buff thingy to keep your throat and upper chest warm

Cheers have one of these already thanks to Aldi:)

It's funny how such a small bit of cloth can save so much heat. Also functions as a mask/hood on the really cold days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It's funny how such a small bit of cloth can save so much heat. Also functions as a mask/hood on the really cold days.

It doesn't. It's just a sensitive area for a temperature drop.

If you want to get better at handling the cold stop running from it.

• Advertisement

I'm good at handling the cold. As general advise, as the man said winter is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Well, that didn't take long.

Covering the extremities will help you feel warmer. Overshoes and a good pair of gloves. Belgian cap FTW!

I'm good at handling the cold. As general advise, as the man said winter is coming.

I wasn't having a go, actually thought I quoted OP.

As general advise for inhabitants of NW Europe just using clothing to deal with cold is a pretty limited strategy.

Feeling cold is very different from being cold. Wrapping up extremities interferes with a negative feedback loop for dealing with cold which we share with most mammals.

Wonder how someone can swim the channel in togs and not die of hypothermia; it's not by reaching for the credit card everytime they feel a little cold.

In the short term pedal harder, longer term adapt or have wardrobes full of clothing for every eventuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ford2600 wrote: »
    Wonder how someone can swim the channel in togs and not die of hypothermia; it's not by reaching for the credit card everytime they feel a little cold.
    It's gradual adaptation rather than zero to 21+ miles though!

HTFU might work for core temp, but won't do much for the toes and fingers, in my experience.

As general advise for inhabitants of NW Europe just using clothing to deal with cold is a pretty limited strategy.

Feeling cold is very different from being cold. Wrapping up extremities interferes with a negative feedback loop for dealing with cold which we share with most mammals.

In the short term pedal harder, longer term adapt or have wardrobes full of clothing for every eventuality.

Fair enough, that's valid up to a point allright. But some mammals hibernate, some don't. Some have winter coats, some don't. If we weren't clever humans with opposable thumbs the chilly gene might've been bred out of us by now. Or else the hairy-backed man would be King.
    Either way, pending a lifestyle change, there's nothing wrong with not being cold on the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's not really hard to stay warm on a bike; you're producing heat as you pedal.

You just need some layers and wind proofing.

I find cheap synthetics lighter, warmer and more comfortable than merino.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It's gradual adaptation rather than zero to 21+ miles though!

HTFU might work for core temp, but won't do much for the toes and fingers, in my experience.

HTFU has nothing to do with it; core temperature regulation is not controlled by conscious thought.

Just like getting faster/stronger etc stress and hardship is a necessary component of adaptation.

A 1 mile swim in 12C water is light years ahead of most commutes by bike. Fluid density is the primary factor in temperature gradient; water is about 1000 times denser the air

Not difficult to upregulate our ability to deal with thermal challenges, brown fat being the most interesting one.

The notion that we have lost our "chill gene" is nonsense, we have just gone soft.

It's yere credit cards though so knock yourselves out!

Gueynet does a good review of biology here along with a few studies

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ie/2013/08/more-thoughts-on-cold-training-biology.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I cycled in this morning in a thermal layer and a fairly light Gore-Tex jacket and I was ready to melt by the time I got to the office. It's way too warm for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I cycled in this morning in a thermal layer and a fairly light Gore-Tex jacket and I was ready to melt by the time I got to the office. It's way too warm for this time of year.

I rode to work around 2pm in shorts and my Gabba and felt too warm

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I find if I can just keep the wind off I dont need masses of layers.
    Light breathable jacket and gloves/over shows for the extremeties and Im usually fine.

I have a buff that I use as a cowl/head cover but unless its very cold it will be ringing wet by them time Im home, having it over an open neck top does wonders for comfort though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am still on short sleeve jersey and base tee with light arm warmers, 3/4 Lycra tights over shorts and summer mitts in AM. PM as above but in shorts. No cold in it at all.Actualy, the Fri before hurricane was kinda nippy in the AM. 3 deg in Stepaside at 7.45am.

Unbelievable temps for all Oct and today, Nov 1. Soil temps are 2 def above normal and spring bulbs are starting to pop! Has to plummet soon, otherwise Planet Earth is in trouble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

A Gilet at this time of year is the best piece of clothing you can have. It keeps the core warm when setting off and then allows you to keep cool when on the bike and its easily removed and put in your jersey pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's yere credit cards though so knock yourselves out!
    I spent all summer open water swimming, a lot of it in the sea and in skins. It hasn't stopped me feeling the cold in my hands on the bike once the temperature dropped over the weekend. Body Temp/ Core are be fine, but my fingers really struggled in the mitts.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭MeWantBroadband

Ok not a GOT fan

Da ****s your problem?

This is the pseudo-scientific gibberish that has people paying more for Dead Sea salt or saying milk is for calves.

Our ancestors did not move on open roads in thin lycra at 30-60 KPH. They walked in furs.

• Advertisement

Arm warmers and leg warmers are stretchy with grippy elastic at the top, but you can pocket them when you warm up.

Advertisement