Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofer Required

Options
  • 31-10-2017 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

I have a damp stain developing in my ceiling and think water is getting in through the roof. The stain is right above where there is a valley in the roof. I have been up to look at it and clean the valley but I cant see where it could be getting in. Could anyone recommend a good roofing contractor that could help me out?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

gaidin35 wrote:
    I have a damp stain developing in my ceiling and think water is getting in through the roof. The stain is right above where there is a valley in the roof. I have been up to look at it and clean the valley but I cant see where it could be getting in. Could anyone recommend a good roofing contractor that could help me out?

gaidin35 wrote:
    Thanks.

Is your roof pitched or flat?
    Paddy Treacy roofing contractors would be regarded as by far the best in Limerick. There are a lot of cowboys and conmen operating in this business, so be wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

chicorytip wrote: »
    Is your roof pitched or flat?
    Paddy Treacy roofing contractors would be regarded as by far the best in Limerick. There are a lot of cowboys and conmen operating in this business, so be wary.

I had a job done by Billy Treacy roofing last year, maybe they're the same company? Anyway found them good, had no problems and they did a job on my neighbours roof afterwards and he was happy with them too.

I had a job done by Billy Treacy roofing last year, maybe they're the same company? Anyway found them good, had no problems and they did a job on my neighbours roof afterwards and he was happy with them too.
    Yes, same family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gaidin35

Yes, same family.

Thanks for the recommendations. It's a pitched roof, actually 2 pitches with a valley in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I got caught out too - be careful - i rang the number and asked if it was treacys, was told it was and some crowd came out and I'm sure I got swindled but my roof was going to come in on top of me so I needed it done in a hurry. Don't believe it was treacy company. Anyway - won't be doing that again.....:mad:

• Advertisement

LB6 wrote:
    I got caught out too - be careful - i rang the number and asked if it was treacys, was told it was and some crowd came out and I'm sure I got swindled but my roof was going to come in on top of me so I needed it done in a hurry. Don't believe it was treacy company. Anyway - won't be doing that again.....

Just to clarify. There is Paddy Treacy roofing and also Treacys which is run by either a son or nephew of Paddy. They drive red and white coloured vans. Were either of these the people who called to your house? They are both highly reputable.

Just to clarify. There is Paddy Treacy roofing and also Treacys which is run by either a son or nephew of Paddy. They drive red and white coloured vans. Were either of these the people who called to your house? They are both highly reputable.

No hon - it was a white only van.... there was no markings on it. Can't understand when I asked if it was treacy's they'd had said yes.

When I got the bill/quote at the end - not an invoice 'cause there was no vat or company number on it - i knew i'd been swindled.

On the up side - it's not leaking anymore :o

LB6 wrote:
    No hon - it was a white only van.... there was no markings on it. Can't understand when I asked if it was treacy's they'd had said yes.

LB6 wrote:
    When I got the bill/quote at the end - not an invoice 'cause there was no vat or company number on it - i knew i'd been swindled.

LB6 wrote:
    On the up side - it's not leaking anymore

Oh dear! I suspect it may begin to leak again in the near future. I'd always be a bit suspicious of fellahs in unmarked vans.

Oh dear! I suspect it may begin to leak again in the near future. I'd always be a bit suspicious of fellahs in unmarked vans.

Yep - once bitten, twice shy. was told that the other van was at another site...:rolleyes:

They stripped off the tiles and laid new felt underneath and latted and put back the tiles - hopefully it'll be ok - I'm pretty much sure that they were making holes in the felt as they were up there - but can't prove it - :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lovethymac

I can categorically say stay away from Billy Tracey roofing, he'll promise you the earth moon and stars up front but once installation is completed the

follow up response to issues that were discovered were very poor and actually totally ignored. Make sure you get a reputable firm to do this type of work

and not a shower of cowboys like Billy & Co.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I know roofers are busy at the moment, but I'd say the OP surely got someone to look at it over the course of the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

The way things are trying to get tradesmen probably not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tinsel-brown

Could I get more detail from you on this. I have a quote from Billy and am about to tell him go ahead but this worrying? I was very happy with his call out and they came highly recommended by friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Steve's roofing are quite good, they're advertised in the post every week.

A&G roofing had me waiting for weeks and then never showed up when they said they would so I'd say avoid

Advertisement