Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't I order fibre broadband without an eircode?

Options
  • 31-10-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I moved into my new house in July. I sent my details on to An Post to have my address added to their database which they then supposedly send onto eircode. I have still not been issued an eircode so I still cannot order fibre.

My neighbours all have fibre, the fibre line is clearly visable in front of the house. All the ducting is ready and the technician who called out says I can get it. I cannot however order it.

The eircodes are updated every three months so each time they have not added me to the update is another 3 months without the internet.

I have spent about 10 hours on the phone to numerous agents all telling me different things. An agent advised me to order the older next generation broadband and once the line was in I could have it tested and upgraded to fibre. I then was onto someone in fibre sales department who said I couldn't as they would not install that where fibre was available.I'm at a loss as to what to do. Geodirectory have said they will get back to me in a few months with regards my address query.

AAAAggggghhhhh!!!!

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Seeger wrote: »
    I moved into my new house in July. I sent my details on to An Post to have my address added to their database which they then supposedly send onto eircode. I have still not been issued an eircode so I still cannot order fibre.

My neighbours all have fibre, the fibre line is clearly visable in front of the house. All the ducting is ready and the technician who called out says I can get it. I cannot however order it.

The eircodes are updated every three months so each time they have not added me to the update is another 3 months without the internet.

I have spent about 10 hours on the phone to numerous agents all telling me different things. An agent advised me to order the older next generation broadband and once the line was in I could have it tested and upgraded to fibre. I then was onto someone in fibre sales department who said I couldn't as they would not install that where fibre was available.I'm at a loss as to what to do. Geodirectory have said they will get back to me in a few months with regards my address query.

AAAAggggghhhhh!!!!

Hi Seeger,

Thanks for getting in touch. If you're ordering our FTTH service an eircode would be required for your address as we are unable to test your line if you don't have this. Do you have a landline with us? If so, can you PM me your account number and full name, I'll check if any of our other broadband services are available to you.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Seeger

Hi Adam,

No, I don't have a landline so there is no line. Why can't the eircode from my neighbours house be used to "test the line"? (There is only the one line in the area).
    I don't see how an eircode has anything to do with a line anyway, anymore than the address of the house. The technicians visit to the site and his subsequent report should be all that is necessary to proceed with the order. He said fibre was available. There is a fibre cable travelling by the front of my property, the same cable all my neighbours are connected to, to get fibre into their homes. It's a new connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

eir: Adam wrote: »

AAAAggggghhhhh!!!!

Hi Seeger,

Thanks for getting in touch. If you're ordering our FTTH service an eircode would be required for your address as we are unable to test your line if you don't have this. Do you have a landline with us? If so, can you PM me your account number and full name, I'll check if any of our other broadband services are available to you.

- Adam
    Eircode is not needed to 'test' a line No idea where that notion came from.

It may be needed to locate the customers location and region but not for 'testing' a line.  You could just aswell test the cabinet from one of their neighbours line which would be a more appropriate response than the potential customer waiting 3 months

Hi Adam,

No, I don't have a landline so there is no line. Why can't the eircode from my neighbours house be used to "test the line"? (There is only the one line in the area).
    I don't see how an eircode has anything to do with a line anyway, anymore than the address of the house. The technicians visit to the site and his subsequent report should be all that is necessary to proceed with the order. He said fibre was available. There is a fibre cable travelling by the front of my property, the same cable all my neighbours are connected to, to get fibre into their homes. It's a new connection.
    As each individual eircode relates to a different address, we couldn't use somebody else's eircode to test your line. We would need to test this for you before we could order FTTH.

I'd recommend giving our sales team a ring on 1800530303 and getting a landline activated. Once this is activated for you, after 3 working days, we can test it to see if there are any other broadband services available to you at this time. We wouldn't need your eircode to test for one of our other broadband services. I understand that you tried to order one of our other services already, however, if you have an active landline we can give you a more accurate test result of what's available to you. You get a 14-day cooling off period with your landline so, if there's nothing else available to you, you can cancel your line without any early cancellation charges being applied.

- Adam

I wonder how you managed to test lines before Eircodes. It must have been a very complex procedure. I know that fibre is available. I've had an eircom salesman at the door offering it to me. I told him I'd love to order it but don't have an eircode.

I hope you appreciate how ridiculous the process is. Eir would rather the expense of a technician installing a phoneline first and having the technician return another day to connect the fibre. Never mind the inconvience to the customer who no doubt will spend another 10 hours on the phone explaining what is happening to a different agent every time and book two days off work for two seperate installations. I'm sure the technician will have the foresight to install another drawrope so when they return to install fibre they have something in the duct they can use.

If only it was as simple as ordering a landline. How much will i pay for this landline I dont want whilst waiting for fibre to be installed. I'm only too aware of the hassle it would be to cancel the landline.

A technician has said it is available. That along with the fact that the neighbours surrounding me have it should be sufficient for a new build with a new connection . 
    It would be nice if Eir actually tried to introduce a different way of ordering fibre for those awaiting eircodes.

Computer says no.

• Advertisement

I wonder how you managed to test lines before Eircodes. It must have been a very complex procedure. I know that fibre is available. I've had an eircom salesman at the door offering it to me. I told him I'd love to order it but don't have an eircode.

I hope you appreciate how ridiculous the process is. Eir would rather the expense of a technician installing a phoneline first and having the technician return another day to connect the fibre. Never mind the inconvience to the customer who no doubt will spend another 10 hours on the phone explaining what is happening to a different agent every time and book two days off work for two seperate installations. I'm sure the technician will have the foresight to install another drawrope so when they return to install fibre they have something in the duct they can use.

If only it was as simple as ordering a landline. How much will i pay for this landline I dont want whilst waiting for fibre to be installed. I'm only too aware of the hassle it would be to cancel the landline.

A technician has said it is available. That along with the fact that the neighbours surrounding me have it should be sufficient for a new build with a new connection . 
    It would be nice if Eir actually tried to introduce a different way of ordering fibre for those awaiting eircodes.

Computer says no.
    An eircode is only required to order FTTH which is a relatively new service. It is not needed for FTTC or any of our other broadband services. If FTTH is available at your home you must have an eircode in order to avail of the service. There is no way for us to place an order for this service without an eircode. 

You can check if FTTC is available to you online here without an eircode: https://www.eir.ie/bundles/?ds_c=AI+%3E+Brand+%28Similar+Audiences%29&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7I6nofmf1wIVLrvtCh1t2w7gEAAYASAAEgL8d_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds.

We can check if any other services are available to you if you get a line installed. I understand that this is frustrating, however, we have no control over the time it is taking for an eircode to be assigned to your home. 

If you ring our sales team they'll be able to go through all of the pricing with you for our landline plans. We offer free installations so you won't be charged to get it put in. 

- Adam

If I have a landline installed will it be tested for ftth? And if so will I be able to order ftth after that without an eircode? I'm confused?
    How could an agent place an order for ftth without an eircode?
    FTTC is not available here.
    FTTH is.

If I have a landline installed will it be tested for ftth? And if so will I be able to order ftth after that without an eircode? I'm confused?
    How could an agent place an order for ftth without an eircode?
    FTTC is not available here.
    FTTH is.
    We will not be able to place an order for FTTH with an eircode.

If you get a landline activated we can test it to see if there are any other broadband services available to you while you're awaiting your eircode.

- Adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Make an official complaint to eir about this stupidity then follow up with comreg, no harm to make a complaint to An Post and include that in the complaint to comreg.

I appreciate eir have nothing to do with the delay in getting an eircode. The problem seems to lie with Geodirectory.
    Eir should not have their ftth ordering system linked into eircode.
    What is the procedure for making an official complaint to eir?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I appreciate eir have nothing to do with the delay in getting an eircode. The problem seems to lie with Geodirectory.
    I normally call them and ask for the number to call to make an official complaint. You call it it you give the details and make a note of the date and your complaint then if nothing is done to resolve the issue ten working days later you email the complaint to comreg - consumerline@comreg.ie iirc.

You can view our complaints process on the below link:

https://www.eir.ie/complaints/

Sorry I couldn't do more for you here.

- Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Paddyb135

So so frustrated , I’ve been on the phone back and forward with Eir for over a month trying to get broadband sorted ! Recently moved into a house and we have a child with special needs who depends heavily on his iPad and apps for sensory and other things. I’ve read here that a guy can’t get broadband because he doesn’t have an eircode even tho all his neighbours do and the technician has even told him he can get broadband, but Eir won’t install it for him without an EirCode.

Well I actually have an Eircode and the neighbours houses around me all have the ability to order broadband but for some reason when I ring up to call Eir they tell me I can’t get it , even tho I’ve had 4 technicians at my house telling me I can get it no problem. The people on the phone at Eir tell me that my Eircode isn’t part of the 8 houses that got rolled out and that I’m not on the same Cabniet number as them. Oh and to make matters worse 2 house are holiday homes and the people who use them will never get broadband as they don’t spend all their time there.

I am 100 meters away from the exchange !! Yet they tell me I can’t get it. I’m stressed out trying to do everything I can to get the broadband in for my wee man! I’ve spoke to local technicians who are baffled as well and want to help but are powerless because someone on the other end of a phone says no ! “ computer says no” the helpful technicians even said I should get my Eircode changed to the same cabinet number as my neighbours but Eir are no help and just don’t seem to want to do anything to help me and my family out.

Help does anyone have any information on what I can do :(

Paddyb135 wrote: »
    So so frustrated , I’ve been on the phone back and forward with Eir for over a month trying to get broadband sorted  ! Recently moved into a house and we have a child with special needs who depends heavily on his iPad and apps for sensory and other things. I’ve read here that a guy can’t get broadband because he doesn’t have an eircode even tho all his neighbours do and the technician has even told him he can get broadband, but Eir won’t install it for him without an EirCode.

Well I actually have an Eircode and the neighbours houses around me all have the ability to order broadband but for some reason when I ring up to call Eir they tell me I can’t get it , even tho I’ve had 4 technicians at my house telling me I can get it no problem. The people on the phone at Eir tell me that my Eircode isn’t part of the 8 houses that got rolled out and that I’m not on the same Cabniet number as them. Oh and to make matters worse 2 house are holiday homes and the people who use them will never get broadband as they don’t spend all their time there.

I am 100 meters away from the exchange !! Yet they tell me I can’t get it. I’m stressed out trying to do everything I can to get the broadband in for my wee man!  I’ve spoke to local technicians who are baffled as well and want to help but are powerless because someone on the other end of a phone says no ! “ computer says no” the helpful technicians even said I should get my Eircode changed to the same cabinet number as my neighbours but Eir are no help and just don’t seem to want to do anything to help me and my family out.

Help does anyone have any information on what I can do :(
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch. can you PM me your eircode so I can check on this for you please?

I can't guarantee that I'll be able to give you better news here but I'll be more than happy to look into it for you.

- Adam

Advertisement