Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RF comms fault

Options
  • 31-10-2017 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Moved into a new house 6 weeks ago, and had action 24 install a new monitored alarm system that we are very happy with. Can arm/disarm from our phones etc..
    there was an existing alarm system in place that we thought we could just ignore and not arm.
    Despite the old alarm system not being armed, it is randomly going off and showing a rf comms fault from a shed in the back garden?
    Any ideas how we can disable completely the old alarm system or disable the sensors on the particular shed/zone that is causing the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Bad form from your new installation company. We're seeing more and more of this in the industry when old systems are left in situ and powered up. Old outside bell probably left there too. Get on to your alarm company and demand that they remove the old gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Homer wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Moved into a new house 6 weeks ago, and had action 24 install a new monitored alarm system that we are very happy with. Can arm/disarm from our phones etc..
    there was an existing alarm system in place that we thought we could just ignore and not arm.
    Despite the old alarm system not being armed, it is randomly going off and showing a rf comms fault from a shed in the back garden?
    Any ideas how we can disable completely the old alarm system or disable the sensors on the particular shed/zone that is causing the problem?

Bad form leaving the system powered up alright.
    You could open the control panel and disconnect mains and battery to power it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Bad form from your new installation company. We're seeing more and more of this in the industry when old systems are left in situ and powered up. Old outside bell probably left there too. Get on to your alarm company and demand that they remove the old gear.

No prizes for figuring out who started that practice :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi all,

Your new installation company really should have removed & taken this away for you.But I'll bet now that they have you tied to their equipment you will have little leverage with them.
    Powering it down yourself might be the best bet.
    But before you do check what type of bell box in on the outside. If its an old metal one it could keep ringing for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Thanks for all the replies. No joy getting them to decommission the old box. Here is a photo of the internals of the old panel. The box on the wall outside is relatively modern plastic with red lights flashing below it.
    Any ideas on what I could do myself to deactivate the alarm?

F3_FF81_EE_584_D_4_A6_F_8_B75_FB4_BBDD46104.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. No joy getting them to decommission the old box. Here is a photo of the internals of the old panel. The box on the wall outside is relatively modern plastic with red lights flashing below it.
    Any ideas on what I could do myself to deactivate the alarm?

F3_FF81_EE_584_D_4_A6_F_8_B75_FB4_BBDD46104.jpg

Yes, remove black fuse top left as you look at it and disconnect the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

altor wrote: »
    Yes, remove black fuse top left as you look at it and disconnect the battery

That is like leaving a Rolls Royce in the Garage while you take the Lada out to impress a lady.
    I can't believe they did not reuse that panel, what a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

kub wrote: »
    That is like leaving a Rolls Royce in the Garage while you take the Lada out to impress a lady.
    I can't believe they did not reuse that panel, what a waste.

It is a messy install an all. Whoever did that obvisiously dont give a toss about their work.

Thanks for the help everyone! Problem solved and old system now redundant. I removed the fuse and battery.
    It is kind of annoying that I now have two keypads on the wall (one inside front door, and one inside rear door) that are now eyesores!
    Would the old panel and keypads be of any use/value to anyone?
    Incidentally the previous owner of the house is the owner of a company that sells/installs alarm & cctv systems for a living!!

Thanks for the help everyone! Problem solved and old system now redundant. I removed the fuse and battery.
    It is kind of annoying that I now have two keypads on the wall (one inside front door, and one inside rear door) that are now eyesores!
    Incidentally the previous owner of the house is the owner of a company that sells/installs alarm & cctv systems for a living!!

If you take them out you will get a few quid on adverts for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did the installer of your new system not remove the old one for you??

No and they never mentioned it. Obviously a few months after the original install they weren’t terribly interested in coming back out to take it out! The old alarm going off randomly in the middle of the night has been solved at least thanks for the advice.

Strange. It would be standard practice for the new installers to remove the old equipment.

Advertisement