Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less hard-core cycling groups in Dublin

Options
  • 31-10-2017 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Mrs Brownian is keen to join a cycling group in the south Dublin area. While there is at least one group that does 20k rides and then goes for coffee, and plenty of clubs/groups who head out for 60-100k rides (some with coffee), I don't seem to see anything in between. What she has in mind is 50k or so, average speed around the 18-20kmph mark.

Is there a group like that, out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This doesn't seem like a difficult requirement to meet, despite its incredible specificity. :D

The Orwell white group (which you can't join until January, but I'm just using it as as example) does spins starting at 50km at 20-22kph.

I did a flat winter spin with Lucan a few years ago which was similarly gentle.

TBH I think it's probably difficult to cycle slower than that in a group without a lot of hills, and beginner groups are unlikely to be heading into the mountains, particularly in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Belpark Novices head out on a Saturday morning 40 - 60km @ ~20kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

I've just gone onto the Meetup app and searched for Cycling groups in Dublin
    'Dublin Free cycle' meet on a Sunday morning at the Convention centre for leisurely 40 - 60km spins.

Another group are 'Easy Riders' who meet outside UCD on a Sunday, they seem more leisurely with spins of 20 - 30km, which you said is too short.

Orwell Whites are incredibly well organised but the first one in Jan is nearly 80km, the week after it drops to 70km but this may still be too long, however when she's cycling in such a cool group she may not notice the kms go by :)

So Dublin Free cycle seems to be a good one to try to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Thanks all for these. Much appreciated.

Advertisement