Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Came off the bike...need to rant!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Never said you were wrong! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Slydice wrote: »
    oh for f**k sake

the legislation so...
    S.I. No. 294/1964 - Road Traffic General Bye-Laws, 1964.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1964/si/294/made/en/print

"shows an amber light" ... "shall not proceed"
    Nobody is contradicting you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

ED E wrote: »
    Never said you were wrong! :pac:

I concede this point :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

hhmmm? wrote: »
    The big difference is that it's very easy to stop a car going 50kph as it's only a fraction of its top speed and extremely controllable should the unexpected happen.

Most of these selfish cyclists are flying along at near top speed and have no control whatsoever should the unexpected happen.

And yet, it is selfish motorists who kill 3 or 4 people each week on the roads, not cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭hhmmm?

And yet, it is selfish motorists who kill 3 or 4 people each week on the roads, not cyclists.

The majority of road deaths occur outside of built up areas not on the commuter line and outside of commuting hours. It's sad and I'm not saying it's right but that's an argument for another thread.

Most cycling accidents happen in built up areas on the commuter line during commuting hours.
    The simple fact that all cyclists don't like to hear is that they cycle too fast for the road conditions.
    Yes they get hit by cars and it's the car drivers fault, yes they clip pedestrians who are not paying attention and it's the pedestrians fault. I'm not trying to say that cyclists are always in the wrong.
    The hard reality is that if they were not cycling at warp speed everywhere they go then they would have less accidents.
    The one thing they have control of is their speed and it's usually out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The one thing they have control of is their speed and it's usually out of control.

Dont know where you're commuting. Certainly isnt central/semi central dublin.

ED E wrote: »
    Dont know where you're commuting. Certainly isnt central/semi central dublin.

It is, south to north through the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

The majority of road deaths occur outside of built up areas not on the commuter line and outside of commuting hours. It's sad and I'm not saying it's right but that's an argument for another thread.

Most cycling accidents happen in built up areas on the commuter line during commuting hours.
    The simple fact that all cyclists don't like to hear is that they cycle too fast for the road conditions.
    Yes they get hit by cars and it's the car drivers fault, yes they clip pedestrians who are not paying attention and it's the pedestrians fault. I'm not trying to say that cyclists are always in the wrong.
    The hard reality is that if they were not cycling at warp speed everywhere they go then they would have less accidents.

The fundamental problem here is your premise that cyclists are all going too fast for the road conditions, that they are always going at full speed or to quote you "at warp speed everywhere". You build the rest of your theory on that fault premise, and that's why it is nonsense.

I suspect you won't be able to acknowledge this and will think this is somehow evidence that cyclists never admit they are wrong. I've seen that before. People on here have no problem criticising cyclists who blow through red lights, speed down the footpath or show willful disregard for others safety. Denying obvious fallacies like "all cyclists cycle at full speed all the time" is just being based in reality.

I wouldn't be so foolish as to imply that "all" motorists are the same but inattention is a big issue, people want to play with their phones, their entertainment system or just zone out and this means they either don't see hazards until too late, or at all. This inattention is common to all modes and I people would stop checking their phones when they are on the move regardless of whether they are walking, cycling or driving. The potential consequences of a motorist failing to pay proper attention is more severe though and it makes sense to focus on that. It seems self evident that motorist inattention is a far bigger issue that cyclist speed but since you seem to feel the opposite perhaps you are aware of some statistics showing the opposite.

You failed to mention that most fatal cycle accidents in the also involve a car and that studies indicate the motorist is often the one at fault. Perhaps you think when a motorist who is devoting half their attention to their phone pulls out in front of a cyclist who has the right of way it is the cyclist's fault. I'm not sure I even buy your claim that so large a proportion of road deaths (you said motorist deaths but I assume you do actually care about pedestrians and cyclists who die right?) occur on rural roads that we can simply ignore everyone but cyclists in urban environments.

UK stats from 2011 to 2015 indicate that 40% of road fatalities occur on urban roads. Less than half but not so low that we can just brush it off as unimportant. When "serious injuries" are added in, which I think we should, the proportion is reversed. 60% of KSIs occur on urban roads. I think we cannot, and should not, pretend that danger posed by motorists is purely a rural issue.

I don't see why you are quoting the UK when it is Irish cyclists we all have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..we all have a problem with.
    Do we all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Mod Voice -- Go away for a few days and a thread becomes a drivers v cyclists debate.

Cut it out, if anyone wants to rant about all drivers and/or all cyclists find another forum. It's done to death

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

car doing 50km/h though an orange as too close to stop when it changes, no one bats an eyelid.

Cyclist doing 30km/h in the same circumstances and we end up with them being completely in the wrong... :rolleyes:

The big difference is that it's very easy to stop a car going 50kph as it's only a fraction of its top speed and extremely controllable should the unexpected happen.

Most of these selfish cyclists are flying along at near top speed and have no control whatsoever should the unexpected happen.
    No it is not easy to stop a car from 50 and even a quick Google gives 35m required to do it.

As for top speed, I've got over 70 on the bike so how is 30 anywhere near top speed?

No it is not easy to stop a car from 50 and even a quick Google gives 35m required to do it.

As for top speed, I've got over 70 on the bike so how is 30 anywhere near top speed?

That 70 was probably along a line of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

OP, I think nobody coming to your assistance after your fall is nothing to do with you being a cyclist or the circumstance of your accident but rather a general reflection on society. I have seen similar responses (or lack there of) when pedestrians have fallen. Individuals seem not to want to get involved in any business except their own. It sad really.

As for the whole speed thing..., some cyclists cycle too fast without paying due care to other road users in the same way that some motorists drive too fast. That has been and always will be the case. As for if the OP was, I think his reason for starting this thread was just to have a rant. Reckon I would be the same if similar happened to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What ???
    Not even one of them took a selfie ?! Any pics for twitter? Facebook?? ....

Humanity is dying ......

Speedy recovery....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement