Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All things Xbox One X

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Huh, VLC is now playing it fine. The only difference between now and a little while ago is that I paused my game updates. I honestly don't understand why this would be the case - it's playing off an external drive, while the games are on my internal, and the update is coming off the internet.
    Could be because VLC on Xbone is in beta...?

The Xbox CPU is not very powerful is the only thing I can think of causing the issues. The RAM and GPU are powerful but not the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 JoeBrown1990

The Xbox CPU is not very powerful is the only thing I can think of causing the issues. The RAM and GPU are powerful but not the CPU.

The Xbox One X CPU is an eight core x86, clocked at 2.3GHz.
    The Nvidia Shield TV has the Tegra X1, which is an ARM-based chip (so automatically not as powerful as a contempary x86) four cores clocked at 1.9GHz (with another four cores clocked at 1.3GHz, available only to the BIOS).
    Yet, the Shield had no problems playing back my 4K files.
    As far as I can determine, it's either due to VLC on the One X being in beta, or somehow the One X simply downloading an update takes up so much CPU clock cycles that it doesn't have enough left over to properly decode a 4K video file. Maybe a combination of both? I heard that the PS4 has a dedicated chip, separate from the CPU, for downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Tegra has full hardware decoding. I don't know what the Xbox supports natively (hardware wise, rather than software) and if it comes down to raw CPU power as pointed out above even the Xbox One X has a fairly weak CPU in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Got it all set up and got to have a quick look at a few games. Everything does look much better and smother even on my 1080p TV.

Downloading like crazy now. GOW4 is over 100gbs. Have over 500 gb downloading over night. Thank god for 1gb/s fibre.

Will start looking at 4k tv's now. Any thoughts on this one? It's about €420-440 in most stores.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW3Z78R?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=hawk-24406101-21

I've about €500 to spend. Could go over slightly but would prefer to stay under 500.

Got it all set up and got to have a quick look at a few games. Everything does look much better and smother even on my 1080p TV.

Downloading like crazy now. GOW4 is over 100gbs. Have over 500 gb downloading over night. Thank god for 1gb/s fibre.

Will start looking at 4k tv's now. Any thoughts on this one? It's about €420-440 in most stores.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW3Z78R?tag=georiot-trd-21&ascsubtag=hawk-24406101-21

I've about €500 to spend. Could go over slightly but would prefer to stay under 500.

I've got the 49 inch version and it is a visual feast. Just remember to update firmware once you get it, just plug in an Ethernet cable and the TV should prompt you. Don't bother with apps, use your Xbox for that since they'd be updated more often.
    Oh and look for Ultra HD Deep Colour in the options and turn it on for whichever hdmi port the Xbox is plugged into. That'll give you HDR. Don't ask me why LG have their own name for it

• Advertisement

The Tegra has full hardware decoding. I don't know what the Xbox supports natively (hardware wise, rather than software) and if it comes down to raw CPU power as pointed out above even the Xbox One X has a fairly weak CPU in that regard.

Thing is I have a Tablet with a quad core Atom Cpu. That can decode h265 1080p files whereas my original model xbone and ps4/Pro can't.
    I did hear the X has hardware support for h265 1080 but don't quote me on that.
    Anyway from my own usage I've determined that the xbone x can play back 4k mp4 as long as I'm not doing anything else.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do those issues manifest in blu ray playback? i probably won't be downloading 4k files but would likely get a couple of 4k/HDR blu rays to try out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

There were reports of washed out colours in UHD Blu-ray, fix will be out tomorrow

Had John Wick 1&2 delivered this week so will try it out over weekend :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do those issues manifest in blu ray playback? i probably won't be downloading 4k files but would likely get a couple of 4k/HDR blu rays to try out

No but then again I don't think I was patching while watching 4k bluray. I think we're fine to watch 4k mp4 as long as we don't patch.

The Xbox One X CPU is an eight core x86, clocked at 2.3GHz.
    The Nvidia Shield TV has the Tegra X1, which is an ARM-based chip (so automatically not as powerful as a contempary x86) four cores clocked at 1.9GHz (with another four cores clocked at 1.3GHz, available only to the BIOS).
    Yet, the Shield had no problems playing back my 4K files.
    As far as I can determine, it's either due to VLC on the One X being in beta, or somehow the One X simply downloading an update takes up so much CPU clock cycles that it doesn't have enough left over to properly decode a 4K video file. Maybe a combination of both? I heard that the PS4 has a dedicated chip, separate from the CPU, for downloads.

Yea but you said as soon as you stopped downloading in the background everything was fine which leads me to believe the CPU was not powerful enough to do both tasks at the same time.

It is fine for what it is which is why MS stayed with it but it is not a powerful CPU so it would not be great at multitasking.

• Advertisement

Yea but you said as soon as you stopped downloading in the background everything was fine which leads me to believe the CPU was not powerful enough to do both tasks at the same time.

It is fine for what it is which is why MS stayed with it but it is not a powerful CPU so it would not be great at multitasking.

An eight core, 8 thread CPU with 12GB RAM not great at multitasking?...*shakes head*...no it's not that I don't believe you, it's Microsoft I'm shaking my head at.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

An eight core, 8 thread CPU with 12GB RAM not great at multitasking?...*shakes head*...no it's not that I don't believe you, it's Microsoft I'm shaking my head at.

It's almost certainly down to the codec used to encode it. A badly encoded file will cripple any processor, no matter what resolution it is. It's probably using up more resources than usual, thus getting impacted when the system uses a bit itself for updates/downloads.

CatInABox wrote: »
    It's almost certainly down to the codec used to encode it. A badly encoded file will cripple any processor, no matter what resolution it is. It's probably using up more resources than usual, thus getting impacted when the system uses a bit itself for updates/downloads.

MPEG4 H264? That's what my 4K video files are. Just to rub salt in the wound, I've got the same file on my laptop, which is a dual core i5 with hyperthreading, clocked at 2.7GHz, and 8GB RAM. Playback is fine right now (granted, it's downsampling to my screen's resolution of 1366 x 768 but still...) and let's see while I'm downloading a file...yup smooth as butter. Only going as high as 80% CPU usage, usually within the 50-60 range.
    What did Microsoft do (or not do) with the One X?

MPEG4 H264? That's what my 4K video files are. Just to rub salt in the wound, I've got the same file on my laptop, which is a dual core i5 with hyperthreading, clocked at 2.7GHz, and 8GB RAM. Playback is fine right now (granted, it's downsampling to my screen's resolution of 1366 x 768 but still...) and let's see while I'm downloading a file...yup smooth as butter. Only going as high as 80% CPU usage, usually within the 50-60 range.
    What did Microsoft do (or not do) with the One X?

Your i5 is superior to the Xbox One X per core by a significant margain if it's from the last couple of years.

The eight cores count for nothing if workloads are not optimised for multi-core and most tasks are a balance between IPC and core count.

So if your i5 is 60-80% stressed decoding that video, the Xbox One X would likely be at 100% (assuming no hardware decoding support)

It's why a dual core Intel i3-4160 can whallop an AMD FX-8350 octo-core in most games by a significant margain...even games that prefer more cores.

You can't really compare console and desktop CPU's though in general. Broadly speaking the Xbox One X CPU would be more comparable to something like an Intel Pentium in terms of raw power though it performs better in games because games are so finely optimised for that universal platform.

Your i5 is superior to the Xbox One X per core by a significant margain if it's from the last couple of years.

The eight cores count for nothing if workloads are not optimised for multi-core and most tasks are a balance between IPC and core count.

So if your i5 is 60-80% stressed decoding that video, the Xbox One X would likely be at 100% (assuming no hardware decoding support)

It's why a dual core Intel i3-4160 can whallop an AMD FX-8350 octo-core in most games by a significant margain...even games that prefer more cores.

You can't really compare console and desktop CPU's though in general. Broadly speaking the Xbox One X CPU would be more comparable to something like an Intel Pentium in terms of raw power though it performs better in games because games are so finely optimised for that universal platform.
    It's a core i5 3350 or something like that. I forget the exact ,model number but it is an i5 3rd generation and a laptop cup at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You will have to get an Xbox one x vs pc comparison at this rate lol

I could do it for Forza. Apparently your Forza 7 key covers both Xbox and Windows so must try that out to see the difference.
    Only thing is Forza will be running at 1080p on xbox and 1440p on PC as the One X doesn't support 1440p yet. but coming soon.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Blazer wrote: »
    I could do it for Forza. Apparently your Forza 7 key covers both Xbox and Windows so must try that out to see the difference.
    Only thing is Forza will be running at 1080p on xbox and 1440p on PC as the One X doesn't support 1440p yet. but coming soon.

Yep, Forza, GoW, Recore and Shadow of War all give you the game on PC if you buy digitally.

It's a core i5 3350 or something like that. I forget the exact ,model number but it is an i5 3rd generation and a laptop cup at that.

Per core that would be faster than the Xbox One X CPU. Consoles always have strong GPU's and weak CPUs.

It's why notoriously CPU heavy games like Battlefield 1, Fallout 4 or Witcher 3 run so badly on Xbox One vs PC - the console just doesn't have the raw CPU power to cope with such a huge workload.

Most games however run just fine because developers can literally optimise for millions of identical hardware configurations. This is obviously not something that can be done on PC.

I would not expect any problems with Forza as that would not be a CPU heavy game, but it would be graphically demanding.

I will just add this in case some people think it is just the Xbox with a weak CPU but Playstaion uses the same CPU but clocked slower even on the PS pro.

Good news - Xbox One X arrived from Currys UK.

Bad news - didn't come with any of the free games advertised.

In a very random turn of events, I got onto them about this, they apologized and said they'd send Forza 7, Halo 5 and Quantum Break separately.

Today, what arrives is Forza 7.....and a new sealed Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 :eek:

Not sure what to make of this.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

You now have a free Samsung tablet that's what to make of this

You now have a free Samsung tablet that's what to make of this

The tablet costs more than the Xbox One X :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

In a very random turn of events, I got onto them about this, they apologized and said they'd send Forza 7, Halo 5 and Quantum Break separately.

Today, what arrives is Forza 7.....and a new sealed Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 :eek:

Not sure what to make of this.....

Aw ****e, they sent me your Quantum Break and Halo 5 by accident and you got my S3 Tablet.

Don't worry, I'll cover the postage on the games to you :o

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

Went back to Titanfall 2 last night to give it a go from the top on Master. I only played as far as getting the second battery for BT, I think this time's gonna be a real challenge.

Holy Moly! Stunning, and smooth as butter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

WarpAsylum wrote: »
    Went back to Titanfall 2 last night to give it a go from the top on Master. I only played as far as getting the second battery for BT, I think this time's gonna be a real challenge.

Holy Moly! Stunning, and smooth as butter!

After finally finishing Halo 5 last night, I'm planning on having another run through TF2 tonight. Most likely Doom after that.

Apart from a few quid dropped on consoles, I've spent shag all on games this generation. It's great.

The tablet costs more than the Xbox One X :o

a €700 tablet..damn that's a nice mistake.
    I'd hold off unwrapping just in case they cop it.
    IF you really want to be cheeky ring up and look for your missing games :D

a €700 tablet..damn that's a nice mistake.
    I'd hold off unwrapping just in case they cop it.
    IF you really want to be cheeky ring up and look for your missing games :D

Yeah, I haven't touched it and won't. Half wondering should I get back onto them and explain about the mistake....feel bad for whoever made that error.

Reminds me of the time I bought a 2nd hand Macbook for €600 from Dabs and they sent me a brand new sealed Macbook Pro. I did keep silent about that one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Say nothing and leave it I’m sure curry’s can take the hit
    was it on the delivery docket as being included ?

I don't think it's about a company taking a hit, if the mistake is found out which it will be from doing a stock count it could cost someone their job.

In case anyone fancied upgrading their headphones the platronics look a good bet especially with the atmos activation key as well.

http://flip.it/1ERa0O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,320 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

In case anyone fancied upgrading their headphones the platronics look a good bet especially with the atmos activation key as well.

http://flip.it/1ERa0O

They do look good but in the article they say Atmos is not compatible with the A50s. According to this Astro blog post the A50s are compatible.

http://blog.astrogaming.com/2017/08/astro-dolby-atmos-windows-sonic/

Advertisement