Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delid my coffee lake CPU

Options
  • 31-10-2017 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I think I will Delid my coffee lake CPU, for my new build.

I'd prefer to not buy an expensive tool that I will use once.

Is there anyone on here that could loan me their delid tool, or is there anyone that would do it properly for a fee

I'm not going to wing this with a hammer :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you haven't already, would be worth your while to purchase a pre-delidded and binned chip at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

If you haven't already, would be worth your while to purchase a pre-delidded and binned chip at that point.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've already ordered the CPU and I got a good price on it.

I wouldn't give a penny to the likes of Overclockers.co.uk who test a lot of cpus and bin the good ones to sell them on at a huge margin. It's like a shop partially scratching the scratch cards and upping the price when they find the winners. I think it's unfair price gouging and I would love to see Intel etc do something about it.

If I'm going to win the silicon lottery I'd prefer to do it the honest way ;)

Regarding delidding, it's just for nice low temps really, as silent computing is my absolute priority over speed.

That makes no sense, delidding and replacing the TIM only really comes into effect when pushing serious voltage at the CPU for OC'ing. Otherwise a low CFM solution and no aggressive fan curve would do the same thing.

Also, your paying OC UK to provide a warranty on a cpu that no longer has one. And a small premium for a paper launch at the moment. Seems worth it to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Especially considering it's very easy to destroy the CPU while attempting delidding. Experienced people have done it!

Especially considering it's very easy to destroy the CPU while attempting delidding. Experienced people have done it!

Yep, pretty sure there is a Gamers Nexus video of them knocking off some resistors on their low cost test.

• Advertisement

I should have said "mostly" for lower temps, as I'll still be overclocking the cpu. But I won't be pushing very high voltage as I want 24/7 reliability.

So if anyone can help with the delid / loan of a tool / recommend someone with experience, please do!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Praetorian wrote: »
    I should have said "mostly" for lower temps, as I'll still be overclocking the cpu. But I won't be pushing very high voltage as I want 24/7 reliability.

So if anyone can help with the delid / loan of a tool / recommend someone with experience, please do!

I've delidded a haswell with a blade, but that's a diff job to the newer CPUs. Can you use one of the 3d printed delidded tools?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

There are no resistors on coffee lake CPU's and the die is pretty small as well so you should be alright just using a blade and taking your time.

WH6h4F4TUeSQitKt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Ive delidded plenty of CPUs using all different sorts of methods, its fairly straight forward and if you damage the CPU then its your own fault really for not being careful.

Where you based? I've the Rockit88 LGA 1151/1150 delid tool you can borrow?

Hi Blitz,

thanks for the offer, i'm up in Dublin unfortunately, was hoping to get down to see a friend in Cork soon though, but not sure exactly when as we need permission from his missus ;)

• Advertisement

Praetorian wrote: »
    Hi Blitz,

thanks for the offer, i'm up in Dublin unfortunately, was hoping to get down to see a friend in Cork soon though, but not sure exactly when as we need permission from his missus ;)

Ill pop it in the post if you want to use it and just post it back when you're done?

That's super, i'll pm you now and i'll cover your costs by paypal of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why bother with this hassle if you want silent computing? Just buy a massive heatsink and you now have a silent cpu! Of course this doesn't help either because GPU is where all the noise comes from :(

srsly78 wrote: »
    Why bother with this hassle if you want silent computing? Just buy a massive heatsink and you now have a silent cpu! Of course this doesn't help either because GPU is where all the noise comes from :(

It can take anywhere between 15 and 30 degrees off an overclocked CPU, not really about silent computing. Lower temps can potentially mean a higher OC.

Just to finish this thread. I did delid my coffee lake CPU. Sincere thanks to Blitz17. A brilliant chap who gave me advice, and loaned me his delidder without knowing me from adam.

I seem to have won the silicon lottery with this one. I've played with the CPU for a few days, and literally I've never had any system instability at all. 5.3ghz on auto on all cores was easily achieved. If I had loads of time I'm sure I could have gotten the volts down to a reasonable level even at that frequency. But I've opted to run her at 5.1 ghz at a very nice low volts. Once you get to 5ghz level, everything is ridiculously quick already.

Now if amazon would just send my 1080ti I could finish this build :)

Advertisement